Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Nov 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2579804)   #1
Off at Paddock
Rookie

England
Norwich
Off at Paddock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James May's Toy Stories

How does everyone feel about this, I am loving it, stuff I wanted to do when ten, and if I am honest still do!

Despite it being a massive advert for hornby products, looking forward to next week with I think Brooklands recreated with scalextric.

He seems a ten year old not grown up like most of us!!
Old 11 Nov 2009, 02:02 (Ref:2579884)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another great series from James May.
One of the funniest moments I've seen for a while was the female judge looking at his plasticine garden at the Chelsea Flower Show;
Judge "We're going to have to deduction 30% of your marks"
JM "Why?"
Judge "Because there aren't any flowers in your garden"
JM "There are hundreds of flowers in my garden"
Judge "Yes, but they're not real"
JM "Isn't that the point of the garden"
silence!
Old 11 Nov 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2579977)   #3
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed - one of the better programmes on the box at present.

James has such a lovely tongue in cheek presentation.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2579988)   #4
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's great. I like JM anyway, he's so dry and eccentric. Always thought he'd be a great bloke to have a few pints with.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2580149)   #5
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am also enjoying it...I have enjoyed most of the series he has been in, but this is one of his better ones.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2580350)   #6
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody love it....like th mad uncle who always brings you the best gifts at xmas
cant wait for the scalectrix one.......the airfix kit was fun too, not into plado flowers haha
James may is prob the funniest on top gear for dry hunour, hammond scripted humour and clarkson gets a bit ott lol
LEGENDS
Old 11 Nov 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2580399)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off at Paddock View Post
He seems a ten year old not grown up like most of us!!
Yes I'll put my hands up to that I only flogged my Meccano set a couple of years ago !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Nov 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2580423)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's brilliant, and getting those kids to actually do something!

A friend of mine appeared very briefly in the Spitfire one. He used to work on aircraft when they were brought into RAF Cosford during and after the war. He was interviewed several times yet only appeared as the camera panned across the VIP guests as the aircraft was wheeled out. He was, to put it mildly, a touch miffed complaining that they 'concentrated on the children'. I didn't have the heart to suggest that was kind of the point...
Old 12 Nov 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2580781)   #9
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Spitfire - Good.
Plastercene - deleted before watching - why?
Meccano - not bad
Next one should be good - Brooklands (just up the road from me).

Did anyone see Charlie Boremans show a few weeks back with the 7/8's flying Spitfire (with an LS6/2 lump in it), Awesome, same rate of climb as full scale with the Merlin!
Old 12 Nov 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2581120)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Anything James May does is worth watching. When you think what idiots like Jonathan Woss get paid and compare him to James... Well, there is comparison.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2581371)   #11
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't know this was out yet!! Sweeeeeet! *Goes to iPlayer*
Old 14 Nov 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2581800)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Anything James May does is worth watching. When you think what idiots like Jonathan Woss get paid and compare him to James... Well, there is comparison.
OUTRAGE! ...
I'm over it now.

jellison, I had less interesting plasticine one than the airfix one, but it was a decent programme. I realised that he would turn it into something that was of interest.
Did you go to the Brooklands attempt? We were on holiday and couldn't make it.

I think it is a six part series (Airfix, Plasticine, Meccano, Scaletrix, Train sets, Lego?), but only four are on in this run, two later? Is that true?
Old 14 Nov 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2582010)   #13
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
OUTRAGE! ...
I'm over it now.

jellison, I had less interesting plasticine one than the airfix one, but it was a decent programme. I realised that he would turn it into something that was of interest.
Did you go to the Brooklands attempt? We were on holiday and couldn't make it.

I think it is a six part series (Airfix, Plasticine, Meccano, Scaletrix, Train sets, Lego?), but only four are on in this run, two later? Is that true?
Only heard about it after it had been done (the Booklands one).

We are in Claygate You?
Old 15 Nov 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2582401)   #14
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Whilst Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source for things like this, it suggests that all 6 will be shown consecutively.
Old 15 Nov 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2582405)   #15
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the program page on the BBC website there isn't any shows forthcoming after the scaletrix one
Old 15 Nov 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2582407)   #16
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Brilliant series, absolutely loving it. Airfix, Hornby trains, Scalextric, Lego and Meccano (and Plasticene for that matter when I was younger) were all big parts of my childhood- in fact, at 42, I'm still actively involved with model trains and kit-building.

My brother has just introduced my nephews (10 & 7) to the joys of Scalextric- they're already addicted, and I'm sure his original mid-1980's track and cars are going to be emerging from my mum's loft before long...

I'd agree that JM is the perfect presenter for something like this- in fact, I'm struggling to think of anyone else currently on the BBC who could carry it off so well
Old 17 Nov 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2583741)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Been out the country for a couple of weeks so haven't seen any of this series but caught the last five minutes of the Brooklands one. I just checked the show's home page but can't find if there is to be a replay at any point. Any ideas?

Edit: stupid arse. I found it: it's repeated on 22nd November
Old 17 Nov 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2583744)   #18
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOVED IT
best programme on at moment...cough top gear haha
Old 17 Nov 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2583745)   #19
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Bugger!....thought it was on at 9 o'clock instead of 8 o'clock...damn! will have to wait until the 22nd now!
Old 17 Nov 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2583746)   #20
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They all all available for streaming on the BBC iPlayer.

Really loved this episode, made me wanna dig my scalextric set out of the attic...
Old 17 Nov 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2583753)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
iplayer is a nice idea but it's crap really. Will wait for it to show on the TV again
Old 17 Nov 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2583780)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crap in rubbish internet connection land yes.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2583824)   #23
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Just finished watching it...on iplayer....and loved it (the show, not iplayer!!)
Old 17 Nov 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2583859)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was surprised it was the world record. I would have imagined someone or some lot of ones to have made a track somewhere around that length before.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 01:15 (Ref:2583900)   #25
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Just watched it on Iplayer. Im sure lots of people have the length... but not the place or permission.. Spose you could make laps and laps of track around a sports field? But that would not be as impressive as Brooklands layout.

Intersting the issue with exspansion in the heat though. Assume track would have shrunk later on in the afternoon and disconnected itself?

Shame there were no comments from the "pros" after they lost... oops

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.