Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2652326)   #1
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button vs Hamilton

With heavy fuel loads requiring drivers to look after their tyres I expect the advantage in races should go to the smoother driver style of Bu....

Oh.

Old 15 Mar 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2652329)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Hamilton will have more than just the edge over Button quite a lot this season.

Hamilton will beat Button the majority of the time, but there will be days where Button shows the way. I don't expect that much though.

I think Hamilton can learn (and is maybe already demonstrating it) how to conserve tyres. Learning how to be a naturally quicker driver is something different though. Button will struggle to do that.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:19 (Ref:2652531)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not like Lewis ever destroyed his tires disproportionately anyways. In fact, Heikki was harder on tyres than Lewis was when they were together.

Obviously Button is something else on the tyre front, but he just isn't as outright quick as Hamilton. It's all very well having tyres in perfect nick at 75% distance, but no use if you're twenty seconds back down the road.

There will be days when Jenson wins the battle, but he won't get close to winning the war.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2652533)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh what a surprise, Lewis can adapt his driving style. Never would've bet on that happening

Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2652550)   #5
craigd
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
craigd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
With heavy fuel loads requiring drivers to look after their tyres I expect the advantage in races should go to the smoother driver style of Bu....

Oh.

The problem is that conserving tyres isn't actually that important, since everyone is forced to do mimic each other and pit at the same time. Also the tyres are too conservative.

Button said how he felt he could have gone longer (as I'm sure others could on the softs too), but the constrained rules don't allow a tortoise vs the hare approach to racing.

This isn't a defence of Button by the way - Hamilton gave the better performance as you would expect. But until the rules are made more flexible (i.e. let the teams pit however mnay times they want - including not at all - and let them use any tyres they wish, but still start on qualifying tyres), then you're not going to get drivers trying out different strategies and playing to their supposed strengths.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2652998)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
My dad has bet me a bottle of wine that Button will score more points than Hamilton this season. I'm trying to decide whether I want a riesling or a sauvignon.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Mar 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2653027)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
My dad has bet me a bottle of wine that Button will score more points than Hamilton this season.
Betting with family members can be fraught with danger. My daughter, who is three, told me on saturday evening that the Ferraris were going to win. 'Ah, bless' I though, expecting a Vettel walkover.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 03:41 (Ref:2653198)   #8
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this comparison is more interesting than the Vettel vs Webber thread.

Personally, I can't stand Hamilton. I never thought he was actually as good as Alonso... However, it will be interesting to see how Button performs against his British rival. I thought the two were about even as far as speed and talent is concerned.

Will be good to watch the results unfold, this season.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 05:37 (Ref:2653231)   #9
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems the team arent going to give him half a season to find his feet...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6...en-Jense-Lewis
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2653306)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

Nick Fry is still with Merc isn't he?

Haven't seen qualifying or the race but this one's a clear win for Lewis. Unsurprising really, not many WDC's go to another team and put in a good defence of the championship. The last one to do it was (IIRC) Fittipaldi.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2653614)   #11
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Lewis won the battle, he hasn't won the war. Yet.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2653657)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Andrew Benson BBC.

"An instructive little moment unfolded in the final qualifying session, when the wind direction suddenly changed 90 degrees from how it had been in the previous session just a few minutes before.

Not knowing this, Button suddenly felt the car "go strange" through one of the corners of the middle sector. Assuming there was a technical problem with the car, he was somewhat cautious for the rest of the lap, braking early, taking less speed into the corners."

No wonder he was surprised to get 8th!

Anyway, I'm not supposed to be here. Bye!
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2653782)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He complained about "problems" in qualifying last year when he didn't do a decent job...
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2653785)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Unsurprising really, not many WDC's go to another team and put in a good defence of the championship. The last one to do it was (IIRC) Fittipaldi.
Emmo was '72 and '74 so there was a gap. Prost was close in '90, Alonso too in 2008. Only close though.

So that will be just the once, with Fangio! And he was at it all the time
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2653817)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Fangio's skill was at picking the right car. He only ever signed one year contracts so that he could jump ship to whoever had the best car. It's allegedly why he quit in 1958 when the Maserati was clearly subordinate to the Vanwall and the Ferrari
Old 17 Mar 2010, 02:27 (Ref:2653907)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Emmo was '72 and '74 so there was a gap. Prost was close in '90, Alonso too in 2008. Only close though.

So that will be just the once, with Fangio! And he was at it all the time
TY.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2657850)   #17
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton clearly had more pace and also he is totally familiar with all aspects of the McLaren team, including the support (or bias, depending on your view) of Ron Dennis. Jenson, on the other hand will have to get used to the team and clearly has to gain a measure of impartiality from Dennis. All in all, Jense is on a new playing field and ...... its not level!! However, Jenson is pretty cool under pressure and not, he is not slow plus he has one huge advantage in that he very very rarely makes mistakes. He's probably the most mistake-free driver in the grid.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2657945)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ron Dennis isn't involved in the day-to-day running of the race team, or even much involved with the race team at all.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2657963)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Hamilton clearly had more pace and also he is totally familiar with all aspects of the McLaren team, including the support (or bias, depending on your view) of Ron Dennis.
If you're gonna pedal a conspiracy theory at least check some facts!
Old 22 Mar 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2657971)   #20
Andy Harrison
Rookie

Andy Harrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jenson will show more progress with the MP4-25 at Albert Park compared to his pace at Bahrain, but overall he will still be off the pace of Lewis.
I don't see Jenson's 'smooth driving style' beating the raw talent of Hamilton in any Grand Prix. But as long as it's a better race on Saturday than a fortnight ago, who cares if it's Hamilton or Button!

Cool Hamilton 2010 profile vid:
http://www.grid1.tv/videos/featured/...2010-interview
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2658069)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
If you're gonna pedal a conspiracy theory at least check some facts!
Where's the fun in that
Old 23 Mar 2010, 08:48 (Ref:2658433)   #22
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
He complained about "problems" in qualifying last year when he didn't do a decent job...
If you are in a car that suddenly starts to behave differently and feels a bit odd, for no reasons you are aware off, do you keep driving as fast as you can? Or back of slightly just in case something falls off?

"He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day" etc etc
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2658598)   #23
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
The only "problems" Button has in qualifying is a lack of talent when the car isn't exactly 100% perfect
Old 23 Mar 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2658632)   #24
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not starting a conspiracy about who gets better treatment at Mclaren. The point is that Hamilton is completely familiar with the ways of the team and Jenson isn't. And about Ron..... OK, OK, he's not in the same role as before but to say that he is not hugely influential in the team is like sayng that Enzo Ferrari was not influential throughout all operations of Ferrari in his day. If Ron talks, everybody there will listen at McLaren and he has shown a clear fondness for the Hamster. Actively or passively, his influence will still be there, it would be naive to think otherwise. Jense does have a steep hill to climb there.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2658654)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Anybody who has moved jobs will know that the incumbents will have a group (clique if you will) that can influence the way the team works. I experience it on every new job I go to. I would think that Button knows this and will realise that the team is looking at him for a solid performance and feedback rather than taking Lewis to the wire. The point may be that Lewis is top gun this year and Button will be running in support. Next year, once he is established he'll be able to dictate his own terms, then they and we can decide whether he is really that good. FWIW I believe he is that good but different to Lewis.

As a contrast we could compare other teams such as Red Bull f'rinstance. The established driver there has been pretty well overshadowed by the new boy, but then again, so far neither of them is a WDC.