Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 26 May 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2698812)   #1
B SUPERMAN
Rookie

B SUPERMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meat Hamilton the greatest of all time

G'day champs!!
has any driver come as close to winning world championship in year 1 than LEWIS!? That is a rhetorical question btw LEWIS is IMO the greatest ever. He was so good he forced double champ FA out of McLaren and won the title the following year. No other driver would've won races in 2009 mclaren IMO, look at Kovalainen for PROOF.
It's great to be here champs.
Old 26 May 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2698817)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Hamilton certainly is impressive but it's far too early, if not impossible, to say whether or not he's the best ever.

Welcome aboard anyway
Old 26 May 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2698821)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SUPERMAN View Post
G'day champs!!
has any driver come as close to winning world championship in year 1 than LEWIS!?
Jacques Villeneuve. Welcome to the forum!
Old 26 May 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2698828)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
JV never came as close.

He was 18 points behind the champion, Lewis 1.
Old 26 May 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2698831)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
*Gets popcorn and sits in a comfy chair waiting for the drama to unfold*
Old 26 May 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2698837)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Let's play Lewis Hamilton thread bingo.

Arrogant
Overrated
Ron
Tyres
Lucky
Dangerous
Irresponsible
Crane
Alonso
Old 26 May 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2698848)   #7
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehe, I can tell B Superman is gonna be a bit of a character on this forum.

Quote:
]

Old 26 May 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2698851)   #8
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SUPERMAN
has any driver come as close to winning world championship in year 1 than LEWIS!?
Nino Farina, won it first time out actually. Though technially I suppose someone HAD to win it in their first year in 1950...
Old 26 May 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2698859)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Let's play Lewis Hamilton thread bingo.

Arrogant
Overrated
Ron
Tyres
Lucky
Dangerous
Irresponsible
Crane
Alonso
I'll take:

Father
Privileged
Spygate
Pussycat
Biased
Dream (as in "Living the...")
Orders
Lying
Racist
Old 26 May 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2698860)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jim Clark best ever. Class above every driver he raced.

Prost aswell, didnt need to resort to dirty tricks to win, and when he did was embarased and awful at it!

Schumacher, won with cheating and dodgy tactics early on, then was superb, though his car never broke down when team mates did!!
Old 26 May 2010, 22:54 (Ref:2698906)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hamilton greatest of all time? Ask that question in about 5 years from now.
Old 26 May 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2698908)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, agreed, bj, at least 5 years time; maybe even longer. Certainly not even close to being the greatest yet!
Old 26 May 2010, 23:09 (Ref:2698913)   #13
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry mate, not even close to being the greatest.
Good, yes. Won the championship by the skin of his teeth and not been close since, is now even being beaten by his own team mate.
It's going to take a long time before he reaches the dizzy heights of Ayrton Senna, TGF, Graham Hill etc, etc.
Old 27 May 2010, 00:45 (Ref:2698947)   #14
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
G'day champs!!
has any driver come as close to winning world championship in year 1 than LEWIS!? That is a rhetorical question btw LEWIS is IMO the greatest ever.
Oh dear lord, what am I going to say...
Autosport (Mark Hughes) sometime ago ran an article asking if any driver could have emulated Hamilton depending on their era etc.
The conclusion was that arguably only Senna would have done the same if he had signed for Mclaren in 1982 for a paid F3 season and joined the Mclaren F1 squad for 1984.
The logic was he would have won the F3 championship in 1983 as he did. Joined Mclaren for 1984 against Lauda because Prost only signed over that winter after being sacked by Renault. There's always IF's in F1.

Quote:
He was so good he forced double champ FA out of McLaren and won the title the following year.
Maybe you need to read some unbiased information regarding 2007. Hammy was Ron Dennis's pet project and Montoya on hearing Hamilton had signed for 2007 felt immediately sorry for Alonso. He knew what Mclaren were about to do.

Andrew Benson's blog:http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewben...rgua.html#more

This has never come out before, but it was Dennis's actions after that race that so angered Alonso, and which convinced him the team would always be behind Hamilton and not him. That was the backdrop to the tumultuous fall-out that enveloped McLaren and Alonso as that famous 'spy-gate' summer unfolded.

As a McLaren insider revealed to me: "Fernando won in Monaco fair and square in 2007.

"Lewis was generally quicker through the weekend, but in qualifying Fernando did it and Lewis didn't. Lewis was quicker in the first run but then he made mistakes and Fernando got pole.

"Fernando won the race because he pulled an 11-second gap in the first stint when Lewis had (tyre) graining and after that Fernando was just cruising because we had rear brake issues.

"But after the race, Ron said to Fernando: 'Be nice to Lewis because we had to (pit) stop him early.' And Fernando said: 'What do you mean? I was just cruising.'

"He got very annoyed about that because it was like Ron saying we handed you the victory. Even after that, the relationship was unrecoverable."

I think Hamilton will become one of the "Greats" and no doubt one of the most successful in history. But personally I think 5 years is too soon to tell. Regarding winning the title the following year, 2 things
1) He scraped the WDC by fluke in the last corner. Considering he feels he's the greatest wet-weather driver, he was close to hopeless that day. Then again for someone who's meant to be so brilliant in the rain, Button has made him look stupid...
2) Murray Walker famously makes great issue of Hamilton winning every championship in his second year.
Look up the record books, Senna FF1600 won at 1st attempt, FF2000 won at 1st attempt, F3 won at 1st attempt. What isn't often mentioned is that Senna competed in a F3 race at the end of 1982, he qualified on pole, won the race with fastest lap.

Quote:
No other driver would've won races in 2009 mclaren IMO, look at Kovalainen for PROOF.
Look at Kovalainen for proof.
Are you serious apart from Massa blowing up and gifting him a win, what exactly has Kovi done to prove himself any good?
Alonso would have won races in it, like he did with Renault in 2008, Kubica and probably Vettel. Don't forget, Mclaren had a brilliant Kers system which they'd been throwing millions at all season.
Old 27 May 2010, 00:56 (Ref:2698949)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I wondered how long it would be before the Hamilton vs God thread would take to come along.
Old 27 May 2010, 00:59 (Ref:2698951)   #16
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I wondered how long it would be before the Hamilton vs God thread would take to come along.
I am a preacher for the Church of Senna.
I was woken by a nightmare that someone was blaspheming on the forum, and it was my duty to put them right...
Old 27 May 2010, 01:50 (Ref:2698966)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Undoubtedly Hamilton is the greatest ..... just unsure of how to categorise his greatness....
Old 27 May 2010, 01:56 (Ref:2698968)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Who started this thread for heavens sake ?
Old 27 May 2010, 01:59 (Ref:2698970)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

You have to wonder!
Old 27 May 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2698976)   #20
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Is it B plane? Is it B bird? No it's..........
Old 27 May 2010, 02:32 (Ref:2698978)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
G'day champs!!
has any driver come as close to winning world championship in year 1 than LEWIS!? That is a rhetorical question btw LEWIS is IMO the greatest ever. He was so good he forced double champ FA out of McLaren and won the title the following year. No other driver would've won races in 2009 mclaren IMO, look at Kovalainen for PROOF.
No.

That is the beginning, middle, end, long, and, yes, the short of it.

No.
Old 27 May 2010, 02:33 (Ref:2698979)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This thread is closed..
Old 27 May 2010, 08:03 (Ref:2699058)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hamilton Thread Bingo Results

Super Hans 2
Alonso
Ron

jab 1
Biased

Stay tuned for more Hamilton Thread Bingo!
Closed Thread