Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 20 Jan 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2818314)   #1
redadair85
Rookie

redadair85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
studying motorsport at university

hey guys im looking to persue a career in motorsport.From a very early age i have been very keen in formula one and ferrari i have applied to tresham national college for motorsport directly through them. I have missed the deadline for universitys but can still apply up to the 30th of this month if i still want a good chance of getting a placement. My Question is do the motorsports courses at uni only specialize in racing cars? as im also keen on rallying and dont yet what career path i would choose? is anyone studying at now on a motorsport course? forgot to add i've also applied at sheffield hallam to do a foundation then top up in mechanical engineering.

thanks for any replys
nath
Old 20 Jan 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2818337)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
The final option sounds good. The problem with motorsport as a vocation, is that it is constantly in a state of peaks and troughs employment wise. There are lots of talented engineers fighting over every vacancy.

At least with a solid base in mech eng, you can get work in other areas in the hard times.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2818373)   #3
redadair85
Rookie

redadair85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yea what i thought aswell, can always do a motorsport degree after as the mechanical engineering is 2 years
Old 20 Jan 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2818395)   #4
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm doing a degree in mech eng at the moment, and i think that's the right way to go. Motorsport companies don't care if the word motorsport is in the qualification, and after contacting a number of companies myself when I was making this decision a few years back, all said they'd prefer mech eng. You get to choose what to do for certain assignments, and motorsport based projects are always possible.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2818413)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!

see your PMs

Last edited by MGDavid; 20 Jan 2011 at 17:36. Reason: decided to PM instead
Old 20 Jan 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2818484)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I'd endorse the comments about doing a mechanical engineering degree - it will, I think, give you a better grounding in engineering than a motor sport degree &, more importantly, make you more employable outside motor sport.

Sheffield Hallam seems to be a good university for engineering. The company I worked for took a lot of students on placements; the Sheffield Hallam students stood out as the best of the bunch.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2819195)   #7
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly not the most perfect of benchmarks, but take a look at the various UK based teams in the annual Formula Student event (held at Silverstone).
http://www.formulastudent.com

The event is a great opportunity to demonstrate practical skills, but even better as a networking & CV exchange opportunity. Some very influential players and major organisations show up.

Keeping it a bit on topic - from my days marshalling the events, many entrants could learn from the robust design & engineering needed for Rally & Rallycross.