Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Mar 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2840258)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Historic 'Tenthers' at Snetterton Friday 4th March

And some not that old either. Those that I met-

Starting with royalty- John Turner Esq and Kevin Turner Esq

Close to being- Terry Scannell

gt917

unit2racing

On track- Al Weyman, Cliff Ryan, Joss Ronchetti (I presume as Sunbeam Lotus was there) and me.

Obviously Andrew Kitson was there as his pics are on another thread. Sorry to have missed you Andrew!

Anyone else I've missed?

THE 300 CIRCUIT is even better than everyone had suggested. But going to have to keep it on the black stuff through the new section for a while until the grass grows- unless you are in a 4X4 that is There are enough changes to make even the old bits different, and the surface is as smooth as a babies....
Old 4 Mar 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2840285)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was hoping to come over today Mike,just a little busy with a couple of meetings though. Have to be there tomorrow anyway,having a look around various aspect's, something to do with a very important meeting in April.

Might even go for a cruise whilst there.!!
Old 4 Mar 2011, 20:12 (Ref:2840302)   #3
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great day, great circuit and a really great little car, Mike

I agree with Mike's comments and am really looking forward to the 360 on 30 April in Mike's 924 on the new improved circuit.

I too got to meet the Turner royalty and was driven round the circuit by Al in 'Black Thunder' but the best bit by far was driving Mike's 924

So now I'm going down to the pub for some fruit based alcohol instead of my usual Guinness as part of the weight loss & fitness regime for the 360
Old 4 Mar 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2840317)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Very happy you guys ran well. Me and Colin were at Silverstone and had an equally good day.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2840320)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well I tried it today in wall to wall sunshine, dunno where that came from and its in a word brilliant. I just love the new Coram it goes on for ever then a nice left hand flick in to an extend start finish straight which is now the same length as the Revitt which is a tad shorter but entered faster. I dont think this is a micky mouse track like the Rock infield it flows a whole lot better and will suit both nimble and powerful cars equally, I loved it! One word of warning though, make sure you are topped up with oil and have a properly baffelled sump or Accusump as that long coram and the infield will have the oil climbing up the side of the block. i will rip and post some footage over the weekend. New engine went well with power to spare and the car was handling well only fly in my ointment was for some unknown reason the 3rd and 4th gears started baulking so I have another gearbox to pull out, at least with the inout and output splines on this one I have a couple of spare boxes that will fit.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2840362)   #6
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike - really good to catch up with you and glad to see the new car was going so well. Really looking forward to seeing it in action at the 360. Think the colour scheme will go down well with team orange so I am sure you will get plenty of support all around the circuit!!

Thanks for bringing the sun along too.

Al - from my vantage point at Corum you certainly seemed to have plenty of power out of Bombhole and the car was coping with Coram extremely well.

Terence - If your there tomorrow (Sat) - may be able to have a quick chat lunchtime perhaps if there is time?

Andrew - thanks for posting the pics - brilliant set, as always.

Terry
Old 5 Mar 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2840460)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Mike - really good to catch up with you and glad to see the new car was going so well. Really looking forward to seeing it in action at the 360. Think the colour scheme will go down well with team orange so I am sure you will get plenty of support all around the circuit!!

Thanks for bringing the sun along too.

Al - from my vantage point at Corum you certainly seemed to have plenty of power out of Bombhole and the car was coping with Coram extremely well.

Terence - If your there tomorrow (Sat) - may be able to have a quick chat lunchtime perhaps if there is time?

Andrew - thanks for posting the pics - brilliant set, as always.

Terry
You have my number Terry,be good to meet up.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2840487)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to meet up with Mike, Al, Cliff and Joss et al but annoyed not to have caught up with Andrew or Terry. A public apology to Al for pulling his leg about spending more time under the car than in it and I'll put some pics up of the Camaro and others in due course. Also a few of the current state of play although couldn't get near much of the new infield part of the circuit.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2840489)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
No need to appologise John, it was merely a statement of fact! The problem I was doing when you came up was simply a rocker gasket not sitting correctly and leaking oil on to hot exhaust and was easy and successfully rectified, the 3rd/4th sychro hub (suspected) will be a little longer to fix.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2840574)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Bit of YouTube from the cockpit as promised, wasnt really pushing it as bedding in new engine then gearbox cried enough!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0qkLNcYBg
Old 5 Mar 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2840732)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hey John hope you got Al's Autograph
Old 6 Mar 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2840902)   #12
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Hey John hope you got Al's Autograph
A little known fact for you all:

Did any of you know that Al starred in one of Jeremy Clarksons dvd's?

Thought not

Sorry Al, could'nt resist!
Old 6 Mar 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2840905)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post

Thought not

Stop it Peter.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2840907)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Stop it both of you- I'll get indigestion

The snapper of the day elected by MSV has his stuff here

There a lot to go through!
Old 6 Mar 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2840929)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Legend in me own lunch break thats me lol
Old 6 Mar 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2840934)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post

Thought not

Yeah,he was in a Mustang wasn't he?
Old 6 Mar 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2840943)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A fewc pit & Paddock shots:-
Attached Thumbnails
SnetTestday4March2011 001wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 002wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 004wb.jpg  

SnetTestday4March2011 012wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 036wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 051wb.jpg  

Old 6 Mar 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2840950)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Yeah,he was in a Mustang wasn't he?
Now that is an insult!!! I am mortally upset now you know I am one of the Generals men. Hey my Silverback Gorilla frame makes the IROC-Z look like a standard sized car!
Old 6 Mar 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2840954)   #19
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
joss Ronchetti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to meet you again John and nice to see Kevin, shame The Bullet broke before I could have got either of you in her, another time will come
Lovely photo of my toys, mind if I borrow it for facebook?
Catch up hopefully somewhere again soon
Old 6 Mar 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2841019)   #20
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good day Snetterton on Friday, good to meet other tenther's
Mike Bell, John & Kevin Turner, Cliff & Al.
New circuit looks great should be good for spectators when finished, lots of work on infield spectator banks & paddock still going on. Russel's is a big improvement. Can't wait for 30th April, hope it's still sunny.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 6 Mar 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2841045)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joss Ronchetti View Post
Good to meet you again John and nice to see Kevin, shame The Bullet broke before I could have got either of you in her, another time will come
Lovely photo of my toys, mind if I borrow it for facebook?
Catch up hopefully somewhere again soon
And you, too, Joss. Very welcome to use pic for facebook! Definitely will catch up again, somewhere!
Old 6 Mar 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2841049)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A few more pit & paddock. Apologies for my failure to note the lighting conditions!:-
Attached Thumbnails
SnetTestday4March2011 053wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 081wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 084wb.jpg  

SnetTestday4March2011 115wb.jpg  
Old 6 Mar 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2841053)   #23
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the circuit like for access for us 'amateur snappers' John?

I'm thinking of making the trek south for the 360 race (and combining it with a trip to Donington on the Sunday) but having only been to Snetterton once I didn't get the chance to check out the spectating areas (as I was time-keeping). From what I could see from our little (absolutely freezing ) room it appeared to be a really good circuit even before the recent changes.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2841401)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Gary, I couldn't get to see it all, as much of it was out of bounds because of all the ongoing work but I think that it is going to be good for amateur snappers.

The 'new' Russell:-
Attached Thumbnails
SnetTestday4March2011 066wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 070wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 071wb.jpg  

SnetTestday4March2011 074wb.jpg   IMG_9236wb.jpg   IMG_9261wb.jpg  

Old 8 Mar 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2841968)   #25
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome Al.

Just love big American V8's...

Like the updated circuit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Bit of YouTube from the cockpit as promised, wasnt really pushing it as bedding in new engine then gearbox cried enough!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0qkLNcYBg