Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 Mar 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3050062)   #1
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
The price of 1:18 models

I've just received my monthly Motor Sport through the letter box, and it contained a catalogue for Diecast Legends. I don't mind viewing one good model in a magazine article, but to see them all in one sitting is just too much.

Does anyone have any tips for robbing a Post Office? Not necessarily a wages heist, just enough for the Ferrari Fiat Bartoletti transporter. And maybe the Moss 250SWB, and maybe the Alfa Stradale and maybe....

I'm no Roy James (who he, they ask?), but if you've got Jason Statham's number... I promise non-one will get hurt.

£750!!!! How do you explain this to the missus? It's bad enough with books costing £200 each, but she's gonna say it's a toy. They just don't understand. Oh, please, I want one so bad. I look like Homer , drooling over some doughnuts. Urrrrrr...

The catalogue dosn't mention easy terms. I wonder what their security is like at the shop?
Old 28 Mar 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3050255)   #2
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GPL offer a solid service, but there is definitely cheaper places around, especially once you start looking at European sellers.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3050815)   #3
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I was talking last night to a Chinese girl I know, cultured and university-educated, who foresees trouble ahead with the Chinese economy.

The workers who make these models get about 50p an hour, but the unstoppable surge towards a capitalist society will mean they will be expecting much more in terms of income in order to satisfy their desire for Western goods and lifestyle.

Buy them now, before prices rise. Either that, or the "manufacturers" will have to find another cheap source of labour.(Amazonian Indians?)

I appreciate how much work goes into these things (compare them to models available 20 years ago), but I think maybe they could be a wee bit cheaper, considering how much they cost to make.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3051022)   #4
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hop onto one of the diecast forums and see the same thing ad infinitum; prices have increased drastically in the last few years - good in a way as it means my collecting has had to slow down, and I now go only for the ones I really want.
Old 31 Mar 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3051218)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I stopped collecting. The price of zinc went up a few years ago I believe, making the models shoot up in price. 1:43 Minichamps went from £22 to £35 iirc. It means very little resale value too.

Worst of all, they started scrimping on quality. I ordered a 2009 1:18 Renault and McLaren (with £25 price increase!) a couple of years back and both arrived at my house in several bits due to poor bonding material.
Old 31 Mar 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3051236)   #6
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
I'm starting to lose that gushing enthusiasm!

£750 and then finding the hoist dosn't work...mmmm.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3054014)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'm the same as adstubbs, I still get them but only ones I really want.

The prices of AutoART on average are 90 quid new, and that is OTT when even 2 years ago they were 60quid brand new.

I scan fleabay and some online sellers that I know of for special offers and deals regularly, that's where you can save a lot of money.

The Senna cars for example are megabucks now, even when used and NOT in mint condition!!