Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jan 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3192696)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brawn Out at Mercedes?

This is an interesting one Mercedes are looking to replace Ross Brawn or so the BBC are reporting.

A very interesting story and it looks like Mercedes have got fed up of the old guard and are looking to bring in some fresh blood to see if they can turn the team round.

More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21143847
Old 22 Jan 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3192718)   #2
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting. It doesn't make much sense to replace Brawn, especially if they want to "do a Brawn" again for 2014.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3192724)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
look at it from williams' point of view. he could be exactly what they're looking for now toto wolff has gone off to play with mercedes....
Old 22 Jan 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3192731)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Wolff wants Brawn to stay.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105232

But maybe Brawn has already seen the writing on the wall?
Old 22 Jan 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3192756)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Wolff wants Brawn to stay.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105232

But maybe Brawn has already seen the writing on the wall?
I think you're right... Brawn's on the way out and Wolff's release is designed to distance himself from the hatchet so that the team/factory staff don't resent him for it. It's been abundantly clear that Merc have massively underperformed from a car perspective and there has to be a clearing of the decks if there is to be progress. A pity, but there you have it.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 14:58 (Ref:3192760)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wonder what LH's thoughts are on this. did he know about the restructuring before he signed, was this always the plan, or is he being left to ask why he signed at all?

the part where Wolf is reported to be bringing Paddy Lowe to the team is interesting and makes me wonder who else will come over and if this is some sort of attempt to build a dream team for LH?
Old 22 Jan 2013, 16:03 (Ref:3192773)   #7
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis' FB pics are showing he's having a pretty awesome, relaxed, PR-free winter. Bet he's quite happy to trust them. I'm sure Merc are making the right calls - just interesting to see if they do keep Ross.

Really feel it's going to pan out great for him - Mr Wolff is a shrewd man...inspired move going there, really feel it is.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 16:21 (Ref:3192781)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure about this Wolff appointment. I always thought he was a career speculator of some kind. The fact that he gave his missus an appointment whilst at Williams doesn't instill confidence. I've yet to be convinced.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3192818)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The management structure at Mercedes certainly needs tidying up - Ross Brawn, Nick Fry, Toto Wolff, Niki Lauda. But getting rid of Ross Brawn would be a courageous decision, minister.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3192819)   #10
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Career speculator= chancer.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3192828)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Wolff is a guy that Merc know from DTM/HWM. Merc know it's a high stakes game so they aren't going to give the top spot to an out and out fool. They are probably counting on a kind of German Christian Horner type to give them steady leadership but I got to say I think it's a bizarre appointment really -bearing in mind he gave the missus a test driver role. I'll watch his 2013 progress with open minded scepticism.

I'd keep Brawn but he is something out of his element with the clampdown on testing.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3192841)   #12
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
-bearing in mind he gave the missus a test driver role.
Speaking of which where does simulator Suzy fit into all this?

I can't imagine Williams engineers would be happy her testing on the sim all day and then popping home to compare notes with hubby fresh from Mercedes? Or has she gone too and I missed it?
Old 22 Jan 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3192844)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the thing is, is there anything wrong with the job his missus has done? she's eloquent, smart, well presented and comes across incredibly well. i would imagine she's perfect for sponsor events where they can't really trouble their race or third driver.

*shrugs* it's no different to a boss employing their children either. if they do a good job, who's to blame them?
Old 22 Jan 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3192847)   #14
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the thing is, is there anything wrong with the job his missus has done? she's eloquent, smart, well presented and comes across incredibly well. i would imagine she's perfect for sponsor events where they can't really trouble their race or third driver.
No I'm not suggesting Suzy is anything other than professional. Speaks fluent German too, very impressive in the interviews on German TV I've seen and I'm sure she's an asset.

Just seems a bit weird to have a couple working for two competitive teams that's all. Knowing how much F1 teams value their secrecy.

There's always a first time I guess.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3192849)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coughlan's wife
apparently Williams is not at all worried that an employee would share confidential information with another team.
fake quote of the day!
Old 22 Jan 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3192856)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
No I'm not suggesting Suzy is anything other than professional. Speaks fluent German too, very impressive in the interviews on German TV I've seen and I'm sure she's an asset.

Just seems a bit weird to have a couple working for two competitive teams that's all. Knowing how much F1 teams value their secrecy.

to be fair i was having a go at paradise city but your post got in between

i can't see it being a problem. otherwise they'd be really stroppy about the huge numbers of f1 employees from all of the teams around the oxford/northampton area who houseshare.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3192871)   #17
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post

Not suggesting it's directly comparable but when Steve Matchet was a mechanic at Benetton his other half had a PR role at Williams. He claimed F1 was so intense when they were working that neither of them had the least interest in diuscussing it away from the workplace.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3192882)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ross Brawn moving on maybe?

Hmm. Are there any teams for sale at the moment ...?
Old 22 Jan 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3192898)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:

*shrugs* it's no different to a boss employing their children either. if they do a good job, who's to blame them?
It's not about Susie, it's about him. Her record is wandering around the back of the grid in DTM for the better past of the last decade and briefly scanning her wiki she came 5th in FR in 2004. There's a host of better up and coming hotshots or veterans that could provide more value. If she wasn't related to him, I might understand your view but she is. Hiring your girl for the gig, the message cries a lack of seriousness and nepotism and creates a terrible impression business-wise.

He could prove me wrong. I hope he does. Also Merc would know him, whereas I don't. All, I'm saying is that for little me - it's a black mark against him and the wrong candidate for what will be a pivot year for Merc.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3192939)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
whats wrong with running a team as a family business? SFW's daughter sits on the board and would anyone consider him to not be a serious person because of it?

if anything ensuring that a Williams will be sitting on the board of directors for years to come is the best thing they could have done for that brand business wise.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3192941)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
look at it from williams' point of view. he could be exactly what they're looking for now toto wolff has gone off to play with mercedes....
I agree with you on Brawn being a good fit for Williams as he could fill the role of Mark Gillan plus some of Adam Parr's job.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3192960)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The management structure at Mercedes certainly needs tidying up - Ross Brawn, Nick Fry, Toto Wolff, Niki Lauda. But getting rid of Ross Brawn would be a courageous decision, minister.
Geoff Willis would be the Man that most fingers would be pointed at in any Mercedes technical witch-hunt. Pat Symmonds is the guy I'd really want on my team, but he's laying low at Marussia, for now, as is Mike Coughlan, at Williams. Too hot to handle for Mercedes?
Old 23 Jan 2013, 01:46 (Ref:3192975)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
whats wrong with running a team as a family business? SFW's daughter sits on the board and would anyone consider him to not be a serious person because of it?

if anything ensuring that a Williams will be sitting on the board of directors for years to come is the best thing they could have done for that brand business wise.
Toto can hire his granny for the test-role if he wants. I'm not going to sit here and tell him he can;t do that. But there are many more suitable candidates for that test-role.

If Frank's daughter/son had a iffy commercial career; he can hire him/her but he's not doing the best for his team when they are better brains out there.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 03:05 (Ref:3192994)   #24
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Toto Wolff will be commited to decide which side he prefers? Will he leave Williams if he enters in charge with Mercedes? And what about Bottas with all this???
Old 23 Jan 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3193174)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
There's sometimes cross-fertilisation of interests between different teams and different people. Red Bull is a clear example, Briatore owning Ligier..etc. I doubt that aspect will present a problem.