Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Mar 2014, 09:13 (Ref:3374292)   #1
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some dumb newbie questions

Hi folks, my wife and I are now an officially carded BMMC Marshal (MSA card pending...) and have a few silly questions to ask. Any help most appreciated.

First, the practical ones.

I will be ordering my Proban suit this week, but what exactly is the measurement asked for by AWS - what are we actually measuring? This question is particularly asked by my wife who would appreciate any advice from female marshals on how to get a comfortable fit.

On this topic, what do people generally wear... underneath their suits. The website mentions fireproof underwear, does anyone actually wear this?

When rain hits, do people usually put waterproofs over their proban, or take this off before putting on waterproof orange?

========

On a different theme - tickets and getting to the sites.

Firstly, I almost always work on a Saturday so would not be able to marshal then, but would it be possible to arrive at a race site in the evening and camp so I am there first thing the next morning, or are the venues usually closed off in the evenings?

Secondly, as well as marshalling, I also enjoy taking photos of the racing (from behind the fence). If my wife was marshalling and I was just there on the free extra ticket, would I be allowed to park on-site (she doesn't drive) or would I have to drop her off and join the main traffic queue? How would this also apply to the marshal's camping as above.

Many thanks all and hope to see you on post some time soon...
Old 3 Mar 2014, 09:50 (Ref:3374308)   #2
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll start you off. The most reliable way to get a good fit is to phone aws, they will be happy to talk you through the fitting. You might want to think about joining a club, BMMC is the one that springs to mind. Join before you order your orange as you will be able to get the version with the sponsorship on them and then you can get most of the cost refunded by the club. You will need a membership number when ordering though. Waterproofs go over your overalls and so that would need to be sized accordingly. Some (like me) wear fire retardant or nomex underclothing but wear what suits the weather forecast as long as it is natural fibres which wont melt in a fire.
Parking wise you would normally be there before any public access so it should simply be a case of parking with the other Marshals, usually where you are instructed to park in your paperwork.

Hope this helps
Old 3 Mar 2014, 10:00 (Ref:3374310)   #3
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRTC View Post
I will be ordering my Proban suit this week, but what exactly is the measurement asked for by AWS - what are we actually measuring? This question is particularly asked by my wife who would appreciate any advice from female marshals on how to get a comfortable fit.
Phone AWS and have a chat with them - after all they make them

Quote:
On this topic, what do people generally wear... underneath their suits. The website mentions fireproof underwear, does anyone actually wear this?
Some do, most I suspect don't .... just wear whatever you feel comfortable in bearing in mind all the usual advice about layers, the weather conditions, natural fibres etc etc

Quote:
When rain hits, do people usually put waterproofs over their proban, or take this off before putting on waterproof orange?
The norm is waterproofs over the probans

Quote:
Firstly, I almost always work on a Saturday so would not be able to marshal then, but would it be possible to arrive at a race site in the evening and camp so I am there first thing the next morning, or are the venues usually closed off in the evenings?
arriving Saturday evening wouldn't normally be an issue for most circuits/events

Quote:
Secondly, as well as marshalling, I also enjoy taking photos of the racing (from behind the fence). If my wife was marshalling and I was just there on the free extra ticket, would I be allowed to park on-site (she doesn't drive) or would I have to drop her off and join the main traffic queue? How would this also apply to the marshal's camping as above.
Not normally an issue but will depend on the circuit/meeting as marshals parking can vary - the easiest thing is as you start going to meetings ask some of the "regulars" at the particular circuits you are going to.

Dave
Old 3 Mar 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3374341)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If you want to spend the extra then AWS will make fully made to measure overalls and will supply you with a very comprehensive measuring chart.

Quote:
Natural fibres where possible, I normally just wear thermal underwear, many people wear jeans etc.

Quote:
Hi-Viz Orange jacket over the overalls is the most common. Orange rain trousers are also preferable to black.

Quote:
There's usually NO problem arriving the evening before. Once you get started you'll get to know how things work at your particular circuits, if you're going to a new circuit / event then get in touch with the chief marshal for that event, check MarshalsGuide.com or post on here and you'll most likely find someone with local knowledge.

Quote:
You should be fine going through as though you were marshalling, especially for camping etc. It's usually only at big events such as BTCC that things get a bit silly.

You won't be able to sign-on to marshal and take photographs, you'll be restricted to normal "paying customer" access areas.

Quote:
Many thanks all and hope to see you on post some time soon...
Enjoy!

See also our "sister" sites www.MarshalsGuide.com and www.FlagMarshal.com for more details.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3374410)   #5
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
have a few silly questions to ask. Any help most appreciated.
Never silly questions. It is always worth asking if unsure. You may get some silly answers but most will be helpful.

Quote:
Some may disagree, but have a good look at some other brands over AWS. The quality of them has gone downhill over the years and you may find better quality and cheaper elsewhere. My first sets from many years ago were brill and lasted an age. Now I find better value for money elsewhere.

For the better half, I would certainly look at a trouser, jacket combinations. You can get flame retardant ones, but tbh if you cannot find ones suitable a good natural fibre is sufficient. Just make sure that the jacket and trousers fit in a way that they do not leave gapping mid drifts when marshaling.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3374431)   #6
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks all for the advice so far. Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
You should be fine going through as though you were marshalling, especially for camping etc. It's usually only at big events such as BTCC that things get a bit silly.
It was probably the BTCC at Croft I was thinking of going to spectate while my wife marshalled - has anyone got any experience of this particular event or should I contact the circuit directly? Thanks.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3374436)   #7
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss View Post
For the better half, I would certainly look at a trouser, jacket combinations. You can get flame retardant ones, but tbh if you cannot find ones suitable a good natural fibre is sufficient. Just make sure that the jacket and trousers fit in a way that they do not leave gapping mid drifts when marshaling.
Yeah for better half two piece certainly an option. However, what my wife does is go for a set of overalls either a size or two sizes above her actual "Next" or "Dorothy Perkins" size. This allows room for thermals, layers, tee shirts and whatever else she hides under her overalls (her purse I think, I never get to see her purse!). She also swears by a comfortable sports bra but maybe that is too much info? She says it is worth thinking about that as you are in those clothes for long periods. Despite appearances I don't actually wear a bra at all so cannot comment.

As for "fire proof undies" - I don't bother, just layer up with cotton tee shirts etc. Think of it this way, if you are close enough to a raging fire to need fireproof undies, then you are probably way way too close and not much use to anyone as you BBQ away to yourself. If you have them already then fine, wear if comfortable, but I wouldn't go spending money on them. Better spend the money on prezzie for said wife, gets you out of all sorts of strife regarding grid girls etc. However, hot curry night before may be a factor in the decision regarding fireproof undies?

Coat over probans or not? Hmmm I made this mistake once. It started to rain during a race so I quickly started to undo and remove my overalls so I could put my waterproofs on. Of course as it was wet a car came straight in. I ran off after it, with my coat half on and my probans around my ankles. Promptly fell over to the amusement of the massive crowd (2 people and a rabbit). I jest of course - but yes, coat over probans as said previously, then all you have to do is pull it on when it rains in the middle of a race, which it will do during the British Summer! Honestly you don't want to be faffing about changing every 5 mins during a race. To further that point make sure your coat is of sufficient size to go over everything comfortably. I normally go up two sizes (I am a "medium" - stop sniggering - so go up to Large or XL in coat sizes).

Really nothing is a big deal, (except safety - which IS a damned big deal, but your on post colleagues will bring you up to speed on that in no time; so no worries there). Therefore, to quote an infamous Chief Marshal, "go with the flow", and enjoy it.

Last edited by Terrible-Tones; 3 Mar 2014 at 16:13. Reason: I wanted to, so deal with it!
Old 3 Mar 2014, 17:36 (Ref:3374464)   #8
Croft Marshal
Rookie

England
Washington Tyne & Wear
Croft Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks all for the advice so far. Very helpful.

It was probably the BTCC at Croft I was thinking of going to spectate while my wife marshalled - has anyone got any experience of this particular event or should I contact the circuit directly? Thanks.
for the BTCC at Croft you would need to have a guest pass and a camping pass if you intend coming in a separate car, if you are going to come to stay over on the Saturday its ok to turn up any time on the Saturday evening, by which time we will all be drinking and being very merry,

by the way we camp on the airfield for the BTCC

pm me if you need any more advice on camping at Croft, we camp over every weekend there is a car meeting on
Old 3 Mar 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3374591)   #9
Pitsmarion
Rookie

Guernsey
Huntingdon
Pitsmarion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, some more thoughts on Probans etc from another lady marshal. I opted for the "all-in-one". On cold days when the loo breaks are not long enough I often think I should have got the "jacket-n-trousers" combo, but speaking to other ladies who have taken that route, you have to be really careful about getting a cold midriff. If you are relatively short you can get a good overlap with a long jacket, but if you are taller then it can all get a bit draughty. And don't foget the ankles, I have elasticated ankle cuffs and as I am shortish they are a boon to keep the Probans above my boots for muddy conditions. As for sizes, I spoke with AWS on the phone about how to order for size, I got a standard fit and it has been perfect for both summer and winter. For underneath I wear thin cotton trousers in the summer and thicker cotton jeans in the winter, with thermals beneath if it's really bad. I have cotton T-shirts and cotton sweaters and polo-necks too, using the layers principle. As well as the waterproof coat and waterproof over trousers I also have an orange fleece with reflective stripes, which is good over the Probans for cold or windy and dry. At a push it even goes under the waterproof! I got the fleece for next to nothing from the workwear stall on my local market.

Enjoy marshalling - you'll have a great time!
Old 4 Mar 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3374845)   #10
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best thing I ever bought were the 2-piece overalls (Jacket and Trousers separate). Only took me nearly 20 years so that has to be one piece of good advice to a newbie!

Always buy at least one size bigger so you can fit clothes underneath. I usually wear elasticated trousers so don't have to worry about zips or buttons when going to the loo. Otherwise it is all about layers (top and bottom). T-shirts, fleecy tops, jumpers, scarfs and even ladies' tights for retaining the warmth which most race meetings seem to require, even in August!

And fleecy jackets over the top even before you think about the waterproof jacket and trousers to go over everything else. Just think BIG size!

I'm a stick insect really but everyone I've ever marshalled with thinks I'm at least a size 16! They've only ever seen me with my "clothes" on!!!

And don't forget comfortable footwear (including socks - two pairs recommended, cotton under and wool on top) as you will be on your feet all day. As a flaggie I could get away with trainers. I bought steel toe-capped boots when I started out but immediately realised that they were so heavy, I couldn't actually walk in them! Others will be able to recommend better than I re feet.

As for not working but being there: This has been my situation over most of the last few years and we just turn up together. He goes off to "work" and, depending on the weather and how I'm feeling, I might wander around or sit in the car behind his post reading my Kindle. The only drawback is having to get to the circuit for sign-on - far too early!
Old 4 Mar 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3374878)   #11
Fro5TI
Rookie

England
South Fylde, Lanc's
Fro5TI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you will no doubt hear over the coming months "the only dumb question is the one in your mind you didnt ask" so dont worry about that.

Would like to add my experiences to all the good advice offered above -
I would advise against wearing jeans under probans, if you do get wet then denim takes an age to dry and will make you feel very uncomfortable next to the skin. I look out for walking gear in the relevant shops, particularly the "end of line or clearance" bargain walking trousers like Craghoppers etc. They do solar dry or material that will dry a lot quicker. The same for tops etc. but in all cases avoid nylon based stuff.
Dont neglect your head, hands and feet; warm hat for winter and a light coloured wide brimmed hat for those long hot balmy summer days (we did actually have some last season).
Hands :- there is whole world of debate out there around what gloves we should / should not wear; do a search on here and you'll get the idea, experience will also inform you.
Feet - As well as warmth and comfort, consider you will be on your feet all day, moving over rough ground (there can be many bumps, ruts and rabbit holes behind the armco) so make sure you have plenty of protection around the ankles as well as the rest of your feet.

However there are a couple of things you need that money can't buy . . .
1. A finely tuned sense of self preservation
2. (Most important) a good sense of humour, because when the orange army get together the camaraderie and the humour are the best!
Hope you both enjoy your Marshalling!!