Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 27 Dec 2001, 23:20 (Ref:190162)   #1
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR owns it all.

Dick posted this on another forum. I thought it was interesting.
Sorry I stole your scoop Dick- but It's a good one!

http://www.racindeals.com/record.asp?ArticleID=288
Old 28 Dec 2001, 00:56 (Ref:190203)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry but the article is overblowing the truth. Especially this statement:

"This not only affects the Associated Press, The Charlotte Observer, The Washington Post, etc., etc., this language also prevents you, the fan who pays BIG bucks to attend "any NASCAR Event" from basically going back home and telling your friends what you saw and heard."

Sorry but nobody has this power.

Any member of media can write or say virtually anything they want about NASCAR and they cannot do anything about it because doing so would be inhibiting one's freedom of expression.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 28 Dec 2001 at 00:56.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:21 (Ref:190215)   #3
Roselady3
Veteran

They do have the right to.... But it would be an impossibility.

The author IS a bit on the Dramatic side. LOL. I do have to admit that.

NASCAR would never come after the individual- BUT they legally have the right to. They want that known.

I personally think that this is directed towards the Media. I think the only reason that NASCAR would pull up this rule, is if it was being taken advantage of by the press/media. NASCAR has had it's wars with the press this year. Several articles have come out about how Media credentials were going to be restricted more in the future. NASCAR doesn't like the contents of an article or Website...then simply deny that establishment credentials to cover races. See...It's all with in their control.

Sure Joe- You can write anything you want- But ya might have to deal with the wrath of whom you are writing about.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:29 (Ref:190217)   #4
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"NASCAR owns all rights to broadcast, transmit, files, tape, capture, overhear, photograph, collect or record by any means (including but not limited to television, cable television, radio, pay-per-view, closed circuit television, satellite signal, digital signal, and the Internet) all images, sounds and data arising from or during any NASCAR Event and NASCAR shall be the sole owner of any and all copyrights, intellectual property rights, and proprietary rights worldwide in and to these works and in and to any other works, copyrightable or otherwise, created from the images, sounds and data arising from or during any NASCAR Event. The bearer of any tickets/credentials purchased or obtained via this document agrees not to take any action, or cause others to take any action, which would contravene, diminish, encroach or infringe upon these NASCAR rights."

This is similar to the legal mumbo jumbo they print on my pit pases every year at Michigan & they haven't confiscated my camera or film yet...so it sounds like a scare tactic to me. Of course it would help if the author of this article would do her research better. The 17.6 billion deal with the NFL had more to do with the networks driving up the price by out bidding each other than the NFL's greed. They all know what a cash cow the NFL is now. And I don't see any of the sports bars that show the NFL disappearing either...the one's that get NFL sunday ticket...they know that it brings in more customers...especially folks that are from a different area and wouldn't get to see their team on network tv.

Last edited by Lars; 28 Dec 2001 at 01:32.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:39 (Ref:190219)   #5
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lars just about the NFL...
do the local fans never see their team on network TV but can easily see any other team?

lot like soccer over here where do to tv companiies outbidding each other to get the domestic action, the stuff from other countries is more easily available!
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:45 (Ref:190221)   #6
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Only if it's a home game & the tickets aren't sold out...which isn't a problem in plcs like Green Bay, Chicago or Washington DC. Minnesota & Detroit on the other hand...what a bunch of fair weather fans...lol.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:49 (Ref:190223)   #7
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Plus i think there is only a 90 mile radius around the city...if for some strange reason (hell would have to be froze over) that the Packer game in GB wasn't sold out...I could still pick it up on local tv because the stations I watch it on are over 90 miles away.

Last edited by Lars; 28 Dec 2001 at 01:51.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:50 (Ref:190224)   #8
The Beer Baron
Veteran

I see that trend of 'ulling the plug' on local TV of motorsport events if they don't sell-out, Charlotte oct 2000 , also the F1 USGP, Indianapolis residents were forced to either buy a ticket or just listen to the race!
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:52 (Ref:190226)   #9
The Beer Baron
Veteran

TV over here always shows the die-hard fans freezing it out in sub-zero temperatures!

Like the pun on the packer's
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:55 (Ref:190228)   #10
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Actually Humpy almost pulled the plug on "LOWES" this October & nobody across the country could have watched.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:58 (Ref:190230)   #11
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
TV over here always shows the die-hard fans freezing it out in sub-zero temperatures!

Like the pun on the packer's
Yup, I did say hell would be froze & not Lambeau...*G*
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:59 (Ref:190232)   #12
Roselady3
Veteran

I'm not even a fair weather fan! LOL. Here they pull the blackout all the time. Bulls Bears Fire. The soccer NEVER sells out so we never get to see our home games!

That Lowes thing would have never flown- But he did have a right to be miffed.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 02:00 (Ref:190233)   #13
The Beer Baron
Veteran

I think he gets more money from Lowes than from the TV deal, even the new one, but in a few years the TV money money will increase!
Old 28 Dec 2001, 07:07 (Ref:190274)   #14
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
Sure Joe- You can write anything you want- But ya might have to deal with the wrath of whom you are writing about.
Roselady, it is pretty much common sense. If you want free media credentials for NASCAR races, you don't go bathmouthing the organization giving you the freebie passes. That is the power they can exert but NASCAR cannot take anyone's right away to criticize or discuss the sport in the media.

The rights that NASCAR has and can exert is no different than what is in place for Tony George's IRL and any races held at IMS. It just highlights how huge NASCAR has popularity has grown.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 28 Dec 2001 at 07:13.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 16:46 (Ref:190475)   #15
Roselady3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Fan

Roselady, it is pretty much common sense. If you want free media credentials for NASCAR races, you don't go bathmouthing the organization giving you the freebie passes. That is the power they can exert but NASCAR cannot take anyone's right away to criticize or discuss the sport in the media.
Common sense- Yes. Believe me I know. Not that I have LOST credentials for this reason.----->> but I DO know that a few friends who were critical of NASCAR had a hard time covering races after.
The word has been out all year that NASCAR would be limiting the number of Media passes given out in the future. They took a huge beating in the press last year. This is their way of getting even.