Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2002, 13:27 (Ref:197501)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC: Arrows admit to Frentzen chase.

The Arrows team have admitted that they want Heinz-Harald Frentzen rather than Jos Verstappen in their driver line-up this season.

Verstappen is under contract but Arrows said on Friday that they are in talks with Frentzen to partner Brazilian Enrique Bernoldi, who has been confirmed as one of the team's drivers.

Arrows boss Tom Walkinshaw announced in the course of last season that he had taken up their option on Verstappen - but the Dutchman will be dropped if they secure Frentzen.

An Arrows spokeswoman said: "Jos was confirmed a long time ago but there is no secret to the fact that Tom has been talking to Heinz-Harald.

"Everyone's going to have to wait and see what happens with that."
According to some reports, Frentzen has already signed an Arrows contract, but the team denies this.

It is possible that Arrows are waiting for Frentzen to resolve his contractual dispute with rival team owner Eddie Jordan so they can be sure the German will be free to concentrate on the season ahead.

Frentzen has taken Jordan to court for damages after being sacked after the British Grand Prix in July last year.

That would put the pressure on Frentzen to resolve his dispute quickly - the season starts on 3 March in Australia.

Arrows announced in a statement on Friday that Bernoldi would stay on in 2002 - but the release made no mention of Verstappen or Frentzen.

Walkinshaw said he had retained the Brazilian because of the pace he had shown in his debut season in 2001.

However, Bernoldi's close relationship with major Arrows sponsor Red Bull, the energy drink brand, is also crucial to the decision.

Walkinshaw said: "Enrique has proven himself to be very quick from the outset, particularly in qualifying where he has been our lead driver on 10 occasions.

"What has impressed us most recently is his growing confidence in setting up the car and his race performances.

"I feel the investment in taking a rookie last season will be well rewarded when we give him a competitive package in 2002."

Arrows have high hopes of progressing this season after securing a deal to run the same Cosworth engines as used by the Jaguar team.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 13:46 (Ref:197506)   #2
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now, I hate to say I told ya so, but...
Old 12 Jan 2002, 14:53 (Ref:197521)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arrows would be pretty foolish to admit that they want HHF instead of Jos, it would only streghten Heinz's position so TW would have to pay more.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 15:03 (Ref:197524)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
the thing is steve, tom's gotta let hhf know he wants him, and if you were the owner of arrows who would you rather have?? a 3 times winner or someone who can be quick when he's not throwing it off the circuit!!
Old 12 Jan 2002, 15:05 (Ref:197525)   #5
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and it would be pretty foolish not to prefer Heinz over Jos.

Probably Arrows feels confident enough about retaining Heinz's services that they are not gonna lie about it.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 15:12 (Ref:197527)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i HOPE i'm not gonna start any arguements here........but if i was HHF i think i would rather go to arrows than minardi or prost.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 15:22 (Ref:197529)   #7
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'm glad they kept Enrique
Old 12 Jan 2002, 16:03 (Ref:197533)   #8
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
First TW tried to get more money from Red Bull by delaying Enriques confirmation, now he's trying the same with Trust ,Lost Boys and TCC.

That's the only reason I can think of.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 16:17 (Ref:197535)   #9
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or the fact he DOES want Heinz

Don't worry, I'm only joking, to be honst I agree with you. I think Tom is doing what all the lower down team managers do. He just wants more money.

And I agree with LB. Go Enrique!
Old 12 Jan 2002, 17:35 (Ref:197552)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
TW proberbly wants the best of both worlds..best possible driver he can get and as much money as possible! and whats wrong with that, even the top teams do that.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 17:53 (Ref:197562)   #11
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well! I'd never have guessed it!
Old 12 Jan 2002, 17:57 (Ref:197564)   #12
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
First TW tried to get more money from Red Bull by delaying Enriques confirmation, now he's trying the same with Trust ,Lost Boys and TCC.
How can he delay confirmation on a contract that has been signed in june 2001?!?!?!?!?

Plus, how do you know that TW wanted more money from RedBull and that this is the reason he only just now confirmed Bernoldi? In fact, when you look at it, for Arrows' standards, Bernoldi is confirmed early.

He is putting Verstappens contract on the line in order to get Frentzen. It is quite simple you know.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 18:01 (Ref:197566)   #13
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
he can delay confirming it to the FIA(Jos's contract has already been aproved by the FIA though)
Old 12 Jan 2002, 19:20 (Ref:197596)   #14
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Confirming it to the FIA has no formal consequence whatsoever.

Arrows is doing nothing to pressure the sponsors, thats youre speculation. If you would open your eyes to some free information, you would have to come to the conclusion that Arrows will only lineup Verstappen when they can't have Frentzen.

Arrows wants Frentzen
Frentzen wants Arrows

The only formality is to get the financial thing straight (with the Jordan lawsuit and all) and Tom probably wants to arrange something with Jos' contract before he announces anything.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 04:31 (Ref:197820)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...and TWR were pretty pleased with themselves to have locked up Verstappen mid-season last year. There is more to resolve here contractually than HHF's tiff with Jordan.

I still thank that HHF and Jos were the way to go. Bernoldi just isn't as good.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 08:14 (Ref:197848)   #16
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Confirming it to the FIA has no formal consequence whatsoever.

Arrows is doing nothing to pressure the sponsors, thats youre speculation. If you would open your eyes to some free information, you would have to come to the conclusion that Arrows will only lineup Verstappen when they can't have Frentzen.

Arrows wants Frentzen
Frentzen wants Arrows

The only formality is to get the financial thing straight (with the Jordan lawsuit and all) and Tom probably wants to arrange something with Jos' contract before he announces anything.
Frentzen wants Prost, he said it several times already, Bernoldi has only been contracted recently because Frentzen is'nt available anymore(because Prost is saved)
Old 13 Jan 2002, 09:05 (Ref:197855)   #17
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What the point of signing contracts when Arrws are trying to get other drivers to come in at the last minute....it makes the contract mean nothing !
Old 13 Jan 2002, 09:15 (Ref:197860)   #18
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
well, when they really are still after HHF, who 's gonna take them serious in the future??
Old 13 Jan 2002, 09:18 (Ref:197861)   #19
SILVERS95
Veteran

The whole thing is turning into a bit of a joke......Theyve signed 2 drivers...but havent officially confirmed either in the race seat..
Old 13 Jan 2002, 10:30 (Ref:197874)   #20
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by SILVERS95
The whole thing is turning into a bit of a joke......Theyve signed 2 drivers...but havent officially confirmed either in the race seat..
That's what I said, they have to be very carefull not to go to far.

Sponsors and drivers won't take the team serious anymore if they decide to fire Jos.(everybody will think the team can't be trusted, even if you have a contract)

Old 13 Jan 2002, 11:20 (Ref:197915)   #21
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Arrows management obviously and rightly want to have the best possible drivers avalable to them this season.

Frentzen has achieved more in his career and with his experience of a top team is more likely to assist Arrows from the bottom of the grid. Also, as I have stated previously, some of the coments by Verstappen concerning his team mate during the last season, would be more than ample justification for the Arrows management to terminate his contract.

Almost every every employment contract contaians clauses concerning "negative" statements about the team and/or its personal. Verstappen's comments about Bernoldi quite obviously would be in breach of such a clause.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 20:37 (Ref:198187)   #22
SILVERS95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen

That's what I said, they have to be very carefull not to go to far.

Sponsors and drivers won't take the team serious anymore if they decide to fire Jos.(everybody will think the team can't be trusted, even if you have a contract)

well i think theyve already gone to far......it seems really stupid,
Old 13 Jan 2002, 21:10 (Ref:198201)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by SILVERS95

well i think theyve already gone to far......it seems really stupid,

don't think it will put the new drivers coming into f1 (wilson, webber etc) off somehow