Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Feb 2002, 16:15 (Ref:215269)   #1
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rookie of the year 2001 is...

Kimi Raikkonen. But we already knew that didn't we...

Other awards were
Outstanding contribution to F1- Paul Stoddart,
Driver of the Year- (guess who)
Technical excellence award- Ross Brawn,
Lifetime achievment award- Sir Frank Williams
and spirit of F1- Jean Alesi.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 16:18 (Ref:215270)   #2
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rookie of the year 2002 is...

Felipe Massa!
Old 13 Feb 2002, 16:23 (Ref:215275)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe he raced in 2001!

I thought it was JPM.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 05:11 (Ref:215646)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM. Technically, he was a rookie to F1. You don't take a few poles and a first win and NOT be Rookie of the Year.

And Kimi didn't do much to justify all the praise he seems to be gathering from some members in this forum. Let's not forget Nicolas outqualified, outfinished and outscored the Finn more often than not.

Alonso proved to be another extraordinary talent Minardi once again nurtured.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 08:01 (Ref:215691)   #5
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
JPM. Technically, he was a rookie to F1. You don't take a few poles and a first win and NOT be Rookie of the Year.

And Kimi didn't do much to justify all the praise he seems to be gathering from some members in this forum. Let's not forget Nicolas outqualified, outfinished and outscored the Finn more often than not.

Alonso proved to be another extraordinary talent Minardi once again nurtured.
jpm rookie NOT . for me Kimi & Alonso we're on par but with Kimi just ahead so his is my ROTY in 01

jpm had a good year but had alot of dnf's aswell . His not a rookie
Old 14 Feb 2002, 11:08 (Ref:215751)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Rookie is anyone who is driving in their first year. Therefore JPM was a rookie and kicked ass next to the rest.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 11:21 (Ref:215759)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Therefore JPM was a rookie and kicked ass next to the rest.
That is debateable. There were 6 top cars on grid. The only race that ALL of those cars did not encounter technical troubles was Hungaroring (that was in that sensational second half of the season that Pablo had). In that race, not only that he didn't kick anything, but he finished 8th, behind 2 almost teenager drivers, one of them being Raikkonen. :confused: For me the most representative race was Barcelona. Coulthard almost didn't start, Ralf and Rubens didn't finish, and both Mika and Michael encountered severe technical problems. Basically Montoya ran alone but somehow he managed to come second.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 11:59 (Ref:215778)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
That is debateable. There were 6 top cars on grid. The only race that ALL of those cars did not encounter technical troubles was Hungaroring (that was in that sensational second half of the season that Pablo had).
really what about japan!???

final standings.....

1st TGF
2nd JPM
3rd DC
4th MIKA
5th RUBENS
6th RAFE

and maybe not as convincing as the Mclarens decieded to detonate themselves but......

monza

1st JPM
2nd RUBENS
3rd RAFE
4th RAFE

and don't chuck in the."he only won because RAFE and TGF were so upset!" if they were that upset they shouldn't have raced in the first place.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:00 (Ref:215779)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

monza

1st JPM
2nd RUBENS
3rd RAFE
4th RAFE

apologies should read

4th TGF
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:07 (Ref:215785)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Ah, well, Monza... a race that noone really wanted to start let alone to win... maybe Pablo and Rubens. (and yes, I will "chuck" in that.)

And Japan. Ok, I'll give you that. Japan was an impressive second half of the season.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:09 (Ref:215787)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
and will you give me hockenheim where he would have won? and maybe indy where he proberbly would have won aswell? and what about spa, where it was likely that he could have won that one aswell.the other's had less technical troubles than JPM, imo
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:14 (Ref:215790)   #12
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
and will you give me hockenheim [...] and maybe indy [...]and what about spa
And also Brazil (that would be the ONLY race in which he really showed something; still to be discussed the Jos/Monty incident) I really would give you them too! However, I can't! 10 DNF's per season is more that bad luck (and actually I consider Pablo as one of the luckiest blokes to set foot in a F1 car)
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:18 (Ref:215791)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
10 DNF's per season is more that bad luck (and actually I consider Pablo as one of the luckiest blokes to set foot in a F1 car)
i was under the impression, from patrick head, that it is impossible for a driver to over-rev his engine (as rafe implied at hockenheim) so that cannot be laid at jpm's feet!

btw, why do you consider jpm to be one of the luckiest blokes to set foot in a f1 car?
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:27 (Ref:215796)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Well, I already told you: he got points in races in which half of the opponents DNF'ed. (and also got a seat in an excellent car.)
Yes, you are right: it is impossible to overrev an engine. However! If you repeatedly and uselessly revv it 100% you CAN break it, and that's what juan did. (actually I remember Berger, in jan-feb 2001 testing saying that Pablo costs them too many engines...... Quite indeed it is good for artistic impression, but this is Formula 1 not figure skagting)
Old 14 Feb 2002, 13:21 (Ref:215824)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Yes, you are right: it is impossible to overrev an engine. However! If you repeatedly and uselessly revv it 100% you CAN break it, and that's what juan did.
Uselessly ?!?!?!?!?, comanding races is uselessly ?, if you want the Pole at race you have to go for it !, not saving the engine...

PS: I think Romanian sky will be full of humble pies this year, and all of them will say "Red, this is for you".
Old 14 Feb 2002, 14:04 (Ref:215851)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
comanding races is uselessly ?
Yes, it is! Useless! Told you, the evil Max do not award points for artistic impression! (Unless of course not in the last corner in the last lap. Or even better, after the checkered flag. Anyway, that thing didn't happen that many times, am I right?) Always better a second place than a retirement while leading.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 15:20 (Ref:215891)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't believe some people, a guy comes along that actually wants to win as opposed to being 1st of the losers, someone who doesn't settle for second when 1st is possible and what does he get... criticism. Unbelievable!!!

I suppose you enjoy pit stop overtaking too....
Old 14 Feb 2002, 15:32 (Ref:215894)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
I suppose you enjoy pit stop overtaking too....
Spot on Paul!!! I really do!

"A guy wants to win" awww..... well.... I am confident that Yoong wants to win too, so actually that doesz not make Montoya very special. It is a small diffence between "want" and "can". During the last season Ralf proved that Williams "could" win.

PS: I didn't criticize him. As a matter of facts... "Yo, Pablo, keep it that way will ya!!!!"
Old 14 Feb 2002, 15:45 (Ref:215896)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK the perhaps I should have saud that JPM shows more of an appetite to win, he takes risks, doesn't settle for second best.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 15:48 (Ref:215898)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Hmmm. You're right. But here's where the difference between a driver and a racer is very visible: a champion always carefully weighs the risk and possible benefits.... and takes the appropriate actions...
Old 14 Feb 2002, 15:56 (Ref:215901)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Yes, and those actions don't usually include sitting behind a slower guy for 40 laps making half hearted attempts to pass them. Did JPM ever take himself or anyone else out of the race whilst overtaking?

The only incident he had in this department was defending his position in Austria. He's still learning and you'd be stupid to not see the potential for a great driver in him.

I'm not saying he's a legend but he shows that he's got the potential to be the best.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 16:02 (Ref:215906)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Yes, and those actions don't usually include sitting behind a slower guy for 40 laps making half hearted attempts to pass them. Did JPM ever take himself or anyone else out of the race whilst overtaking?
Hmmm..... Monaco is not exactly the best example you could bring........ actually I should mention it: Coulthard got 2 points in that race.....

As for the second sentence:YES!!!!! HE DID (quote from memory.....) "I pushed him wide, 'coz I knew he would've passed me in the next corner" that was Montoya after Brazil (and when he said pushed he meant "rammed") (Oh yes, Austria tooo )
Old 14 Feb 2002, 16:11 (Ref:215911)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
I thought TGF came second in Brasil!!!

He was doing what a driver should do, pushing the other guy out wide so that he's forced to back off. TGF did it to Ralf at Nurburgring with the pit wall. Yes JPM and TGF were VERY close but they both stayed on the track therefore it was a successful move. If he had taken him out then yes you could complain but he didn't, what he did was fair and IMO you shouldn't seek to criticise him for it.

As for DC at Monaco, he may have got 2 points but had he been more forceful who's to say it wouldn't have been more? And moaning about it afterwards, not really champion like is it?
Old 14 Feb 2002, 16:18 (Ref:215912)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Ahhh well......... Indeed Schumacher came second... that is he got 6 points..... Indeed Schumacher squeezed Ralf at Ring, but if I'm not very much mistaking they didn't touch.... indeed Michael and Pablo stayed on track but that was because Schumacher's driving skills (on both occasions)..... and... lemme repeat: I am not criticizing Montoya!!!!!!!! (I might criticize something else here though.. )

PS: We will never know what David would get at Monaco.... if! Fact is that he got 2 points....

Last edited by Red; 14 Feb 2002 at 16:19.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 16:21 (Ref:215914)   #25
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
True fact is he got two points, but he also made a bit of a fool of himself, correction he made a complete fool of himself!!!!