Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 18 Feb 2002, 16:40 (Ref:218501)   #1
Hoagy
Rookie

Hoagy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting into motorsport

Hey there I'm new to this forum but I was wondering whether anyone out there might be able to help me. I'm currently sudying a degree in automotive engineering that caters toward a career in motorsport. The problem I have, is that for the next year of the course I'm required to spend a year training in industry, and placements are few and far between. Two F1 teams have sponsored other students on this course but most teams show very little interest in inexperienced people. However, in order to gain experience you must first have a job. Does anyone out there know of any placement vacancies or know of anyone in industry who might be able to offer me some assistance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Hoagy
Old 18 Feb 2002, 18:54 (Ref:218542)   #2
Kid Prozac
Racer

Kid Prozac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Know what you mean, im in the same position, have got so many letters from teams and constructors saying no we dont do placements. Some people seem to have a blase attitude towards it, but where will all their future employees come from? Interesting reading Sir Jackie Stewarts comments saying that theres a lack of engineers in motorsport, well if companies would employ us, were all champing at the bit trying to get in the motorsport sector, and i would prefer not to end up at a general engineering company
Old 18 Feb 2002, 21:30 (Ref:218636)   #3
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went through the process a couple of years ago, trying to get a placment. I did not get one (one or two other factors involved as well) and I am now starting to look for a job after I graduate. It is not much easier now I am afraid.

Any one know of any one wanting graduate engineers then drop me a line
Old 22 Feb 2002, 03:50 (Ref:220472)   #4
Robbieracer
Rookie

Robbieracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no substitute for having a go yourself.
As in getting a cheap car, learning to drive it, learning to race it.
And learning how much basic engineering gets forgotten, and how important simple, fast , effective chassis changes are!
it need not be an open wheeler, as long as some flexibility in the rules exists..
This will demonstrate hands on experience, real world practicality and persistance. A team needs these even more than the vital technical expertise.
And rememeber that the most vital part of any racing car, the tyres, is "incredibly difficult to model" according to no less than Adrian Newey!
Old 12 Mar 2002, 20:07 (Ref:233788)   #5
Flatjack
Rookie

Flatjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with robbieracer everyone want some experance in some sort of racing so i am building a car to race in the 750 formula run by the 750 motor club.

not very strict regulations so you can do most things. if you are going to think about a race car then this is very good.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 21:29 (Ref:233815)   #6
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.racejobs.com/order.htm
Old 13 Mar 2002, 16:14 (Ref:234309)   #7
rubinhothebest
Rookie

rubinhothebest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What????

Somebody explain me, do they really make you pay for enrolling???
As I'm spanish, I may have some problems in understanding administrative english.
Very expensive anyway.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 22:49 (Ref:236907)   #8
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Have you not had a job within motorsport before you went on your engineering degree? Why not offer your services for free to a local team I am sure they need wheels washing etc. you will be suprised how much you learn just listening to engineers talking.