Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Mar 2002, 19:26 (Ref:239541)   #1
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will 2002 be the best BTCC season for years?

With two fantastic commentators and improving Proton a fast Honda and a bumper line up could this be the best in years? We may have lost Lexus and Alfa but this season is looking good already
Old 19 Mar 2002, 20:45 (Ref:239612)   #2
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly hope so
Old 20 Mar 2002, 01:26 (Ref:239811)   #3
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's definitely looking good! after a shaky year where the whole thing was dominated by vauxhall, now that the parts are readily available to all teams and they can all do some serious testing, unlike vauxhall buying all the parts meaning that peugeot had to run with 4 gears!, it's going to be a much closer championship, still no no.1 car tho!
Old 25 Mar 2002, 22:08 (Ref:244006)   #4
Cleland
Rookie

Cleland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa may be coming back, although I think it will be a bit of the Pheonix F1 team jobbie!
Old 25 Mar 2002, 22:18 (Ref:244015)   #5
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As last year was a new beggining as such, this year has , and will, be the closest racing for several years.
It can be one of several teams, who will win , but i don`t think that the Vauxhall boys will have it their own way, as last year, but a mix and match , i hope anyway.
There are too many great individuals out there this year, and the cars should, be closely matched.
I for one, am looking forward to the battle...
Old 30 Mar 2002, 21:03 (Ref:247632)   #6
Cleland
Rookie

Cleland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa are back in the 3rd round and lexus back in the 2nd round!
Old 30 Mar 2002, 21:56 (Ref:247660)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fabulous year ahead most definitely !

Look at the facts !:
2001 BTCC Brands Hatch: 4 Vauxhall Astras, 3 Peugeots, 1 Alfa(which doesn't last that long) I remember the "7 Car BTCC" being made a fool of after that and that it was never going to be like the "good ol' days" again.

2002 BTCC Brands Hatch: 14 Cars in total with probably around 18 by a few rounds into the championship.
A bright future.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 22:17 (Ref:247672)   #8
touring fan
Rookie

touring fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like it's going to be another close year of racing. I can't wait!
Old 31 Mar 2002, 03:52 (Ref:247814)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A year is a long time in motor racing. BTCC looks rosy again with so much new works interest. CART, which looked so bullish jsut 12 short months ago, is now struggling, and IRL is moving up well. I think Vauxhall will win this year, but certainyl not easily, I think by later this year someone else will be faster.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 16:17 (Ref:250032)   #10
RollingThunder
Rookie

RollingThunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best BTCC

As some of you know I enjoyed "the really good years" during which time I had a go at editing Touring Car magazines. While not generally involved in the sport these days I was at the 2001 opener and again at Brands this weekend, and I have to say the progress was obvious.

The 2001 opener was depressing, to me the cars looked good but the series a shadow of its former self, now at least we're getting back to sensible numbers of class A cars - and don't forget the two Atomic Kitten MGs weren't there this weekend either. The cars looked brilliant, excellently prepared, and the action was good too, particularly considering it was on the GP circuit which makes for good TV but usually dampens the live spectacle.

But, and sorry there is a but - I went down to Qualifying on Sunday, principally to catch up with people in the paddock that I hadn't seen for a goodly while, and one aspect that was clearly absent was the paddock atmosphere. Particularly in the mid '90s that was one of the best bits of working around the BTCC, but on Sunday the paddock appeared totally lifeless. It's possibly a minor point but I feel the BTCC is in need of some more identifiable characters at present.

Hats off to Matt Neal though - someone who really deserves sustained BTCC success.

Andrew Charman
Old 2 Apr 2002, 19:16 (Ref:250186)   #11
Pip
Racer

Pip should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the racing is a good as it was Monday for the whole season I think we are in for a blinder!!!

I always find the atmosphere a bit odd at Brands, its not so easy to wander round the pits between races - think Donington and Snetterton will be better....
Old 2 Apr 2002, 20:25 (Ref:250266)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds good so far. Need to watch the races before I can comment more.