Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jun 2002, 20:00 (Ref:315063)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody seen the 1994 Japanese Grand Prix?

If so, can you tell me exactly what happened, and where I can download it. Even seasonf1.com doesn't have it!
Old 16 Jun 2002, 20:19 (Ref:315067)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
If so, can you tell me exactly what happened,
it rained, rained and rained some more, race got stopped, then after the race was re-started damon hill took one of his best ever wins ahead of MS, Alesi and Mansell.

Martin Brundle spun off the track and hit a Marshal, breaking his leg.

Last edited by Mr V; 16 Jun 2002 at 20:21.
Old 16 Jun 2002, 22:29 (Ref:315120)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was superb. Hill beat schu at his own game in near monsoon conditions to pull off what was probably the best win of his career!!
Old 16 Jun 2002, 23:29 (Ref:315135)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was Damon's best race...

It was a race in two legs, Alesi and Mansell enjoying a good fight, with Mansell thinking he got third when he passed Alesi on the last lap, but then realizing it was not, with the time difference from the first leg.

Last edited by Jordi; 16 Jun 2002 at 23:30.
Old 16 Jun 2002, 23:49 (Ref:315143)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After that race I remember Alesi saying about Mansell, "For a very old man, he still drives very fast."
Old 17 Jun 2002, 00:04 (Ref:315154)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hill showed wonderful skill in beating TGF but the best part of the race was the battle between Alesi and Mansell. It was how racing should be - hard but fair. I still remember Mansell and Alesi almost embracing after the hard-fought battle.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 11:20 (Ref:315353)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Yeah, what a great race. Because it was split into two legs, that aggragate time counted. Hill and Schu were very close in aggregate time, but not that close on the track. Alesi and Mansell had a good on-track fight, which was almost as rare then as it is now.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 11:42 (Ref:315365)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a great race, Hill beat Schumacher in the wet fair and square, and the Alesi / Mansell battle was a good one as well (as derek warwick said, he was getting 'sweaty palms' watching it).

Also, when the race was stopped, great scenes as Mansell, Fittipaldi and so on rush up and back from the control tower, angry that the race had proceeded as long as it did. ahhh, nothing like a bit of controversy
Old 17 Jun 2002, 12:02 (Ref:315381)   #9
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Alesi classic.

Herberts first race with Benetton after he was bought outta Lotus.
He spun on the straight at the start of lap 3 as did..................

....Alboretto, Martini both in Minardis collided with Lagorce in the Ligier..........

.....Taki Inoue in the Simtek crashed into the pit wall..........

.......Katayama crashed even harder into the pit wall inches away from Inoues car and hurt himself, he had to be carried away....

All on lap three.

Morbidelli had a massive crash at degner corner after 10 laps. A lap later Brundle crashed in exactly the same place and hit one of the marshals. This stop the race.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 12:30 (Ref:315401)   #10
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a mental race!

Especially when Herbert, Katayama and Inoue spun on the pit straight!
But Damon beating MS was the best bit!
Old 17 Jun 2002, 21:45 (Ref:315711)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
It was the most tence race I ever saw, and having started at 5am it's an experiance that will stay with me for ever. It demonstrated what racing is about with Hill needing to put in qualifying lap after qualifying to keep schu at bay. The Mansell/Alesi battle was enchanting, if meaningless as it stood, but it showed 2 drivers with passion for what they were doing.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 09:52 (Ref:315940)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was cool, how Damon was having to push hard like in qualifying even though Schumacher was like 5 seconds behind
Old 18 Jun 2002, 17:33 (Ref:316268)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I think schu was actually about 30 seconds behind in real time, which made it even more tense as we waited for schu to cross the line on the final lap.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 17:43 (Ref:316280)   #14
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My best bet is to purchase the 1994 season review. It covers every race very well.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:48 (Ref:316408)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that Mansell / Alesi duel was fantastic. ive got the race on tape somewhere , think i may have to watch it again .

Mansell had balls of steel , going wheel to wheel with Alesi in the wet aproaching the 130R corner about 3 laps in a row .

I wish he was still racing , even though he finished 4th , he and Alesi made that race for me , i was shouting me head off at the tv at 4.30 in the morning !...."GO ON NIGE "!!!!!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 22:15 (Ref:316552)   #16
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Mansell/Alesi battle almost over shadowed Hills win, two drivers who new how to race.
Only Senna in my view would have gone wheel to wheel with Alesi into the 130R, Mansell had a point to prove and even though he finished fourth he had made his point that he should be the lead Williams driver in 95, unfortunatly Frank Williams must have missed it..

Guy
Old 19 Jun 2002, 08:43 (Ref:316752)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
who remembers now that Mansell also went on to win the following race at Adelaide? It was over shadowed some what by certain other events.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 18:57 (Ref:317084)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats true .....i always remember Gerhard calling Mansell a Old B**tard in the press conference afterwards. Mind you , Berger had threw away a race win with his mistake , and Mansell had took the lead from his old team mate .
Old 20 Jun 2002, 01:10 (Ref:317272)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have Adelaide 1994 and only kept it because it was Mansells last win. That race proved their was life in the old dog yet!

And yes, it was a shame that other events overshadowed the win. But that would have been expected no matter what happened.

In conjunction with the other Mansell thread, if he'd not go the 1995 Williams seat, it would have been the perfect way to retire.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 16:13 (Ref:317700)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
i agree , stop at the top , but hindsight is always a great thing .