Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 9 Jul 2002, 15:13 (Ref:330257)   #1
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Jr Arrested!

http://www.indystar.com/article.php?alunserpm0709.html
so sad

and a comment from the Motorsport.com (CART)forum...

CART ---> IRL/RV-Trailer Park -----> Lockup

will we ever see him race again?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 9 Jul 2002, 15:50 (Ref:330270)   #2
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You beat me to it, gtr69.

http://sports.excite.com/news/07092002/v1830.html

Al has some issues to deal with. Apparently this type of thing led to his divorce from Shelley (I believe that was his wife's name...).

He should lose his drive for this.

Last edited by senna12; 9 Jul 2002 at 15:51.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 16:16 (Ref:330291)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, Mr. George is getting value for his money here.

Mr. Junior needs to get into rehab and get counseling. There are enough dangerous drivers in that league without him being paid to be their role model!
Old 9 Jul 2002, 17:05 (Ref:330321)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't this be in the other racing open-wheel forum?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 Jul 2002, 17:34 (Ref:330344)   #5
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al "Coholic" Unser Jr.

I wonder if he had been busted for driving drunk if he would be banned from IRL and IROC competition? I would think that if you got busted for DUI you'd be banned from racing cars for a while. I hope Gil & Helio don't show up in jail with a marijuana bong in one hand while fisting a crippled dog with the other. Then we'll know that Tony George drives fans and drivers alike to desperate measures. IRL. Intoxicated Racing League.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 17:36 (Ref:330346)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Rule Number One:
Never slap an aggitated drunk across the face with the back of your hand. It usually proves to be an ineffective way to diffuse a situation. You'd think that after four years, one might figure that out.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 17:52 (Ref:330361)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to hear this from the two time CART champion....

Al Jr. is not well. Hasn't been for some time.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 19:12 (Ref:330434)   #8
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Shouldn't this be in the other racing open-wheel forum?
Probably, but no one would see it there.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 19:56 (Ref:330486)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats happening to Little Al ? Top line drivers shouldnt be drinking to excess anyway .
Its a shame when you see people you admire losing their way on such a public stage.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:39 (Ref:330510)   #10
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres a copy of the arrest report courtesy of a member of another forum, including mug shot (very depressing). This is so very sad. He's been sliding downhill for quite a while & losing fans as a result, but this is just too low.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/alunser1.html

Last edited by Dave S; 9 Jul 2002 at 20:41.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 21:04 (Ref:330532)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very depressing indeed
Old 9 Jul 2002, 23:02 (Ref:330613)   #12
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if he does get severely punished, which he should do for beating his girlfriend, argument or no argument, then I have one thing to say, if you can't do the time then don't do the crime!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 01:30 (Ref:330673)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He always raced dirty... Still, I'm suprised that _any_ Unser would sink _this_ low.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 01:43 (Ref:330678)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is very sad.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 01:59 (Ref:330683)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yes it is a shame that such a great champion of the sport that we love has this side of life that we rarely associate with our heros.

Im not going to comment on the nature of the incident or his or her actions as I am not going to judge either of them , But I will say that i wish them a speedy recovery from all of this and hope that they can get things sorted and if Lil Al needs some form of help then I hope HE takes the first step and asks for the help that it seems that he needs.
in the meantime I will focus on the things he has done on the racetrack and his driving ability for which he is a true legend.

Get well soon junior
Old 10 Jul 2002, 04:17 (Ref:330721)   #16
Dave S
Racer

As Liz knows, I have been a member here for quite some time, though I don't post often & don't bash. This really saddens both my wife & myself more than you can know. We 1st saw Al in 82 when he ran Can-Am at Laguna (& won), then moved to ChampCar in 83. We always felt he was a class act in those days & were very big fans of his. Think of all the times he was knocked from a race & responded 'That's Racin'. Or his two thumbs up to Emmo at the Indy 500 when they ran together & he lost out. His Indy wins & Championships. To those of you relatively new to CART, he used to personify class & graciousness in the league of Emmo, Mears, etc. When he was given bad cars by Penske along with the numerous personal problems (his daughters illness, divorce, his lifestyle catching up with him) did he turn into a bitter, vindictive shell of his former self. 'Dirty Racer?' When & where? Give me a fellow racer who accused him of this. And when he was taken out he NEVER ranted as Mikey always seems to do. We've been discouraged by his downslide for quite some time now, but to kick him now & to ridicule him in his obvious bottom out is not only cruel, but downright wrong. Yes, he went to TG's series, sold his soul for money & made stupid comments. Yes, he is a hollow shell of his former self, but from his recent actions don't you all think that maybe he's (if even sub-consciously) crying for help? I'm sure he's longing for the adulation he used to have & never will again. It's HELL to realize we won't ever again be the young gun we once were. Yes, I hate TG, his series & all it stands for, plus TG's stated purpose of destroying CART. But to find pleasure in this once great racer's downfall is not only wrong, it's just plain mean. We only hope that Al can get the help he so much needs & can have a good life. He certainly gave both my wife & I much enjoyment before he fell from grace.
May God Bless & return him to some semblance of a productive life.

Dave & Jeannie Sweatt
Old 10 Jul 2002, 04:19 (Ref:330722)   #17
Dave S
Racer

I don't mean those here, but other forums I visit are actually revelling in Al's troubles. Sorry if this insinuated otherwise.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 05:02 (Ref:330731)   #18
Dave S
Racer

new article in indystar.com I'm REALLY saddened here.
http://www.indystar.com/article.php?krav10.html
Old 10 Jul 2002, 05:59 (Ref:330744)   #19
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can call me a neanderthal, but anybody that hits somebody that is both angry and drunk deserves what they get. The result here was predictable. Hopping out of the car should have been the first thing she did, not the second.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 07:11 (Ref:330765)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Dave S, you've paraphrased my thoughts very well. Arneal, you did too.

This could quite likely put an end to a brilliant career. (A career which did not include any dirty driving). Just ask Fuzzy Zoeller about what the sponsors are likely to do.

The man is one of my favourite drivers of all time, and that is not about to change simply because of one moment of indiscretion. That's because I'm not going to pass judgement. It takes two to tango, and they were both in the bar drinking that night. Nobody knows how all this started or what was said, and by whom. All I know is that the "injuries" seem to be very minor, and that's about the only good news. Unser should claim self-defence anyway. Cops should have picked her up, too.

My uncle has a drinking problem, and when he gets drunk he gets very ornery. But my aunt would never backhand him across the face when he's like that. I guess she's got something called "common sense".
Old 10 Jul 2002, 07:26 (Ref:330778)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Looks like a fun place. Wish I was there, only sitting at a different table...
http://www.classychassygogo.com/
Old 10 Jul 2002, 11:37 (Ref:330985)   #22
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al should be used as an example...

With racing as popular as it is today, and with more young drivers in the sport I'm surprised we don't see more of this. Being young, having fame, fortune and being on the road all the time you would think more guys would get into trouble than do. Al Unser Jr. had as much talent as anybody in his prime but he robbed himself of alot of great years and probably championships with his wild lifestyle. He was good in Champ cars and easily the best IROC driver to come from any open wheel series. His IRL stint hasn't been spectacular but he has won a few races. I think we saw Al get serious when it looked like there wasn't anyone left to hire him again. Now that he's been in that ride this season for awhile I believe that better opportunities were probably about ready to open up for him, especially with rumors of good CART teams moving to IRL without some of their drivers going with them. Now he's let himself down and cost himself, perhaps, his last shot at being a superstar driver again.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 14:03 (Ref:331103)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's amazing the things that you find out when a scandel like this happens, how he was deeply affected by missing the 500 in 1995, his family problems, cocaine addiction and so on, i guess it isn't really as surprising as it seemed when i first read about it, it also explains his form slump in CART between 1997-1999, then in the IRL in 2000-2002.

Whatever happens, lets hope that the woman gets back to full health, and Little Al is able to get his life back on track.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 14:52 (Ref:331139)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is why I think getting really drunk is a bad idea... It is sad, and it's probably not something he would have done if sober or even less drunk.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 10 Jul 2002, 14:58 (Ref:331142)   #25
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Jay, it is bad enough when immature 20 year olds do it, but to see a grown man do it is pathetic.