Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 23 Jun 2000, 22:20 (Ref:19046)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's a peculiar one.

Did you know that the notification of message edit is appearing only intermittently?

I noticed it the other day. I wrote something, came back to change it later, and nothing came up to say that I had done so. I tested it this evening in a reply to the "nineties music" thread, and sure enough, no edit notice came up after I most certainly edited.

Yet in Trackside, in the "Aston Martin Meet" thread, it works perfectly.

This would be a mild curiosity except for one thing. On one of the more argumentative threads of recent days, I could have sworn that a contentious posting has been adapted after the event, and now says something it didn't before. And we have no way of knowing it. In those circumstances, a harmless glitch becomes just a little more insidious.

Don't you think?
Old 23 Jun 2000, 22:45 (Ref:19054)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That's my fault, i'm afraid. In the config file I have several options relating to each function. The options related to editing are:
  • Show the 'Edited by xxx on yyy' when a post is edited ?
  • Time limit (in minutes) to impose on editing of messages. After this time limit only moderators will be able edit or delete the message.
  • Time limit (in minutes) to allow user to edit the post without the [edited by xxx] message appearing at the bottom of the post.
I have, for some reason, set the second option to 10 minutes, and the third option to 2 minutes. I will update this so that they both are the same. I think 5 minutes is more than adequate, keeping in mind we now have a preview option for those whose fingers work quicker than they can think...
Old 24 Jun 2000, 10:36 (Ref:19127)   #3
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about those of us whose fingers move faster than their brain, but who are too damn sure of themselves to think for a minute that they'd do anything as stupid as making a horrendous tpyo.
Old 24 Jun 2000, 11:05 (Ref:19138)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im could be included as a relevant person for that last thing....

I have noticed a fair few more typos in the forum since the new system has come about....is that a good thing?
Old 24 Jun 2000, 21:14 (Ref:19231)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the contentious post?
Old 26 Jun 2000, 21:26 (Ref:19674)   #6
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash, maybe they'll try harder next time then...
Old 26 Jun 2000, 22:01 (Ref:19678)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The old system was good. You could post some tripe, and then sit down with a dictionary and work out what you have spelt wrong. With the new one, we only have 10 minutes before what we type is finalised forever....surely Craig could stick a spell checker into the forum somehow

Phew....only just made the cut off!!
Old 26 Jun 2000, 22:03 (Ref:19679)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, now i edited that previous post, was the little note meant to pop up?
Old 28 Jun 2000, 18:21 (Ref:20009)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
The old system was good. You could post some tripe, and then sit down with a dictionary and work out what you have spelt wrong. With the new one, we only have 10 minutes before what we type is finalised forever....surely Craig could stick a spell checker into the forum somehow
Or you could post something inflammatory, wait for the reaction, then go back and edit it before an admin sees it. Then the person who retaliated gets the blame... (it HAS happened!) This is the reason that this new system is good - and will be staying. Don't forget, you can always use the preview option before posting the final version to the forum...

About the note - yes - it should. I'll investigate.