f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USGP Fans To See Growing Legend Of Schumacher, Ferrari

Quote:
USGP Fans To See Growing Legend Of Schumacher, Ferrari

By Dan Knutson
usgpindy.com Special Contributor

If you had the chance, would you go to a baseball game to see Babe Ruth or Joe DiMaggio or Hank Aaron play?

If you had the chance, would you go to an auto race to see A.J. Foyt or Richard Petty or Ayrton Senna drive?

If you had the chance, would you go to a golf tournament to see Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer or Tiger Woods at their best?

If you had the chance, would you go to a soccer game to see Pele or Ronaldo or Maradona at the height of their art?

If you had a chance, would you watch NFL greats Joe Montana or Walter Payton or Jerry Rice playing at their best?

In any sport, if you had the chance to see the best of the best, a legend in the making, a hero, a true master, a person who will go down in history as one of the greatest ever…if you had the chance, would you go?

History is in the making right now in Formula One. Records are being smashed. Records that may never be broken are being set.

The person doing all this has already become a legend in his own time.

If you want to see a legend, come to the SAP United States Grand Prix on Sept. 29 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Come and see the astounding Michael Schumacher. Come and see one of the greatest drivers of all time. Come and see the Ferrari F2002, one of the best Formula One cars in history. Come and see somebody you will tell your grandchildren about.

It is fitting that three great legends will come together at this year’s SAP United States Grand Prix. Start with the venue, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It was built in 1909, has played host to the Indianapolis 500 since 1911 and already has become the modern-day classic venue of the United States Grand Prix in just three short years. Add Ferrari, the fabled Italian team steeped in motorsports history for more than 50 years. And then add Michael Schumacher, one of the greatest drivers of all time.

Indianapolis. Ferrari. Schumacher. It is a dazzling mix of three of the most famous names in all of auto racing.

Schumacher already has set just about every record there is in Formula One. By the time he gets to Indianapolis for the SAP United States Grand Prix on Sept. 29, he will add more numbers to those records.

Earlier this year, Schumacher won his fifth FIA World Drivers Championship, tying Juan Manuel Fangio’s record. And Schumacher won this year’s championship in record time.

Schumacher’s victory in this year’s Belgian Grand Prix means that he now has a record 10 wins in a single season. After 14 races this season, Schumacher’s career win tally stands at 63, which puts him far ahead of Alain Prost (51 wins) and Senna (41 wins), who are next in the record book.

After 14 races this season, Schumacher was only two points away from breaking the record of 123 points scored in a single season that he set last year.

Schumacher holds the record for career points scored, fastest race laps and laps led. And he’s equaled Jim Clark’s hat-trick record of earning a pole position, victory and fastest race lap in an event with a total of 11. Schumacher also holds the record of 19 consecutive top-six finishes and 16 consecutive podium finishes. He’s won both the pole and the race at least once at every Grand Prix on the current calendar.

But Schumacher still has a few more records to set. By the Belgian Grand Prix this year, he had earned 48 pole positions, so he has a way to go before catching Senna’s record of 65 poles. And he needs to win another World Championship to stand alone ahead of Fangio with six titles.

In F1, the cars are the stars, as well. This year’s Ferrari F2002 is one of the greatest F1 cars ever created. It ranks up there with the Lotus-Ford 79 that Mario Andretti used to win the 1978 World Championship, the McLaren-Honda MP4-4 that Senna and Prost used to dominate the 1988 season and the Williams-Renault FW14B that Nigel Mansell drove to the 1992 title.

Ferrari has already clinched the Constructors Championship this year, bringing the team’s total to a record 12. By the time they get to Indianapolis, Schumacher and his teammate, Rubens Barrichello, will aim for the record 199 points that McLaren racked up in the 1988 season.

Three of the true legends of Formula One – Schumacher, Ferrari and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway – will be on display in full glory during the SAP United States Grand Prix on Sept. 29.

got this from http://my.brickyard.com/usgp/press/s...p?story_id=472

7650-wallpaper Yahoo! Groups - F1 Wallpapers for your Nokia phones
Old 9 Sep 2002, 17:05 (Ref:376622)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Bob Feller or Nolan Ryan was pitching against them.

If they were driving against each other.

Nah, golf is boring regardless!

For soccer and football: Sure, but those are team sports. Racing, golf, even baseball to a large degree are mano-a-mano battles.

If you want to see a legend... We should rent a theater in Indianapolis for the weekend and show tapes and film of old Grands Prix. '67 Nurburgring, '84 Monaco, '93 Donnington. See some _real_ legends, instead of an opportunist.

He's a good driver, to be sure, but he's being put in a class of drivers where he doesn't belong.

Of course, the FIA/Tony George promotional machine would like you to believe you're seeing history. It's a lot easier than creating a _real_ racing spectacle...
Old 9 Sep 2002, 17:38 (Ref:376650)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ditto, Lee.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 17:44 (Ref:376664)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And where was the racing in Donington 1993? That was simply a display of wetracing by mr Senna, and a display of pitstopfukups by Williams Renault.

I have seen Schumacher (Yes, M.) fight some battles since Spa 1991. Not many, but no less than any other driver on the grid.

Yes, Schumacher is one of the best ever and yes, the F2002 is arguably the best racingcar ever built. So the text is pretty much correct.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 17:48 (Ref:376673)   #5
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:

Of course, the FIA/Tony George promotional machine would like you to believe you're seeing history. It's a lot easier than creating a _real_ racing spectacle...
And be that as it may, back in 1993 people complained. So did they back in 1988. And yes, I remember 1992 as one of the most boring seasons ever. It's hard to recognize history when its being made right in front of your eyes.

Fact of the matter is that 2002 is a year that will turn up a few times in the historybooks. The Ferrari F2002 is a car that will turn up a few times in the historybooks, and Michael Schumacher is a driver that will turn up a few times in the historybooks. And rightfully so, no matter how hard people stumble over eachother in attempt to belittle it all.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 19:02 (Ref:376749)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie

And be that as it may, back in 1993 people complained. So did they back in 1988. And yes, I remember 1992 as one of the most boring seasons ever. It's hard to recognize history when its being made right in front of your eyes.
And yet look how exciting those seasons were compared to this one...

I defy your assertion that 1992 is viewed as a high watermark in historic terms. Rather, I see that season held up time and again as a case of technology run rampant. Given that, it seems 2002 will be remembered as a boring season when people simply stopped watching.

At least in 1988 the dominant team allowed their drivers to race each other!
Old 9 Sep 2002, 19:50 (Ref:376799)   #7
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next year I'll try to go to Interlagos or Indy to see a "True Growing Legend"... Juan Pablo Montoya !
Old 9 Sep 2002, 20:07 (Ref:376814)   #8
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

And yet look how exciting those seasons were compared to this one...

I defy your assertion that 1992 is viewed as a high watermark in historic terms. Rather, I see that season held up time and again as a case of technology run rampant. Given that, it seems 2002 will be remembered as a boring season when people simply stopped watching.

At least in 1988 the dominant team allowed their drivers to race each other!
In 1992 records were set. So in that respect it most surely was a high watermark season in historic terms. Same goes for 2002 which broke the records set in '92. It makes no sense to define the historical character of a season by its eventfullnes or whatever you want to call it.

Back in 1988 McLaren had their own tactics as to gain the worldtitle. Simply hire the two best drivers money can buy. Senna and Prost. Simple as that. Ferrari has a diffrent strategy as to gain that title, and Ferrari arent the only team who wont let their drivers race eachother. Both strategies have proven effective. Be that as it may, Schumacher hasnt got his skills matched since Senna died, and he is not to blame for that.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 20:43 (Ref:376865)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree whole heartedly with what lee has said. Yes, in 1988 we knew a Mclaren would win, but at least we didn't know which one!

Schumacher is a mighty fine 'driver' but can never revered as one of the greatest 'racers' as he's simply never had to do it.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 01:50 (Ref:377039)   #10
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Schumacher is a mighty fine 'driver' but can never revered as one of the greatest 'racers' as he's simply never had to do it.
Newcomer to F1 Damon? Go back and watch Michael pre-2000. He had 2nd rate equipment and still put up a challenge to the dominant team.

Quote:
Next year I'll try to go to Interlagos to see a "True Growing Legend"... Juan Pablo Montoya !
Thank god you didnt go this year.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 02:06 (Ref:377045)   #11
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sensing another one of those flame bait threads

nag..nag..nag...yeah we've all seen and read about what you all anti-michael have to say about him....but it's getting to be a real bore seeing it repeated over and over again!
Old 10 Sep 2002, 12:55 (Ref:377376)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's hard to keep away from being pro or anti TGF. Anything said that doesn't seem to be a compliment to him is flame bait for his fans.

So let's not start again...

The discussion about making history and legends, started by Lee and Eddie is valid and it's worth to continue, so please let it be this way.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 19:33 (Ref:377585)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I haven't missed a race since the middle of the 1990 season z. Why don't you look at the tapes from 1992 and remind yourself of all the crashes schu had in his second season.

What I said was not meant as a jibe anyway, all I'm saying is that he's been so far in front for so much of his career that he hasn't really had to 'race' but when he has he has more often come off second best.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 19:47 (Ref:377591)   #14
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
On the topic though, I feel that drivers only ever become truly legendary after they die. It is only then that we can look back on their career with hindsight and a greater understanding of what they have achieved. That is why many people see what Clark or Fangio have achieved is more significant because the cars they raced in allowed for far more reward for driver talent.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 21:34 (Ref:377669)   #15
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes he's good. So is his car. But it doesn't really make for interesting races. It's not entirely his fault, but it doesnt' help.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 10 Sep 2002, 22:35 (Ref:377719)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
History may be made at Indy:

10. Number of scalpers selling tickets right up til the parade lap begins - for less than half face value. No takers in sight. Tony George having guaranteed Bernie 100,000 paying guests, makes emergency call to his banker Big Vinny.

9. Number of people in No. 3 caps and Dale Earnhardt shirts asking "Whar's Junior at?"

8. A.J. Foyt tearing down the fence into the pitlane after being denied entrance by security guard who tells him in French, "You're not rich or good looking enough to come in here, and I bet you'd eat too much too."

7. BAR and Jaguar phone to say "We're not going to turn up. Our race engineers have figured out a way to grenade our engines from Monaco, so we're going water skiing."

6. Memo Gidley tries to get a job with Ferrari, is given a tray of cigarettes and directed to the hospitality area. "If you do a good job," he is told,"you can shine TGF's boots later on, so they'll be ready for the press to kiss."

5. Half a dozen French Canadians turn up asking "Ou est Gilles?"

4. Eddie Irvine gets in a punch up with Eddie Cheever over which of them has the biggest, er, mouth.

3. It rains during qualifying. Teams refuse to go out. Ferrari distributes pre-printed press releases showing qualifying order Ferrari, Ferrari, Williams, Williams, McLaren McLaren, All Others.

2. Jean Todt accidentally leaves stack of pre-printed finishing order press releases in press room five hours before the race. TGF first, Ralf second. Original Jacques third hsa been crossed out and Takuma Sato written in.

1. After two laps, people begin to leave. TGF waves to empty grandstands as he "wins" the race. Everyone else has gone home to watch "Field of Dreams."
Old 10 Sep 2002, 22:49 (Ref:377729)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
sensing another one of those flame bait threads

nag..nag..nag...yeah we've all seen and read about what you all anti-michael have to say about him....but it's getting to be a real bore seeing it repeated over and over again!
Actually, I checked every post above this one, and thre was not a single flame, nor anti SchM word, nor nagging, let alone any repeated anti-SchM sayings repeated. In fact, most posters above Juke's post have stated that SchM is a good or even "mighty fine" driver. Jukes, paranoia is setting in on your posts.

Valve
Old 10 Sep 2002, 23:09 (Ref:377744)   #18
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed reading that but as far as iam concerned i only seen one f1 legend in here SENNA
Old 10 Sep 2002, 23:24 (Ref:377749)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TGF is the 'best' of his generation, but frankly cannot be classified alongside guys like Fangio and Clark.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 01:47 (Ref:377787)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prost is the only "Legend" I know about. And of course the great Mario Andretti!

Love those Latin types.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 01:51 (Ref:377791)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Gee!! you like 'em short, Liz

Valve
Old 11 Sep 2002, 02:11 (Ref:377801)   #22
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Gilles comes awfully close to "legend" in my books.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 02:47 (Ref:377810)   #23
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Thanks for that list Liz, I really needed a good laugh after the day I've had...
Old 11 Sep 2002, 16:10 (Ref:378071)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Me too.

Yes, Valve, short and fiery, that's what I like! I want to look them in the eye.

P.S. I doubt very much if TGF would be overjoyed at being compared to Richard Petty.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 17:29 (Ref:378103)   #25
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmmm if this is supposed to drum up interest amongst the americans to go and see the GP it's failed, it just make Formula 1 sound like a 1 team, 1 man show (which it is is sadly). surely a better marketing ploy would have been to advertise the fact that two former CART champs race in the series and that other large companies compete, such as BMW, Mercedes, alongside lengendary teams such as McLaren and Williams!!!!!!