Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Oct 2002, 18:13 (Ref:412462)   #1
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chilton close to works Honda deal

Tom Chilton is soon to be confirmed in a third works Honda it is believed although Tom, and his agent refused to confirm or deny this, Honda has confirmed that a heavily backed young gun is expected to be on their books for 2002, insiders beleive that the deal is all but sealed, and the final deal is soon to be announced.

It is believed that Chiltons replacement at Barwell could be Simon Graves who may have found a way to attract his initial sponsors to stump up the cash. This rumour has little founding, and no statement. But with Graves previous connections with the outfit it seems logical, this is backed up by the drivers recent call ups for testing by the team.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 19:34 (Ref:412550)   #2
Turkington Fan
Rookie

Turkington Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How will he replace Chilton if Chilton owns his car though?
Old 24 Oct 2002, 21:11 (Ref:412633)   #3
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good point. and, its another case of money getting a drive cos to be fair Chilton didn't exactly said the world on fire last year. I'm not bashing him, i'm sure other ppl would do the same given the money, just saying there are possibly more talented drivers out there who deserve the 3rd honda seat.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 21:38 (Ref:412652)   #4
Reido Rules
Veteran

I guess that Graves or his backers will just purchase the car of Chilton, because if he has a Honda drive, why would he want a two year old Astra??? Not really that Complex.

Or Barwell may decide to just go and buy the other two cars from this year, leaving Chiltons car left in a shed.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 21:52 (Ref:412665)   #5
Turkington Fan
Rookie

Turkington Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather see Chilton than Boardman in a BTC-T car though. Especially a factory one.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 03:29 (Ref:412838)   #6
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda is going to make a challenge on Vauxhall in 2003.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 12:19 (Ref:413099)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The upside of this rumour is the chance of seeing Graves in a BTC-T car, as discussed recently he's a driver who's talent greatly outstrips his finance (Chilton and Boardman are the opposite). I wouldn't be surprised if Honda don't go doewn the Egg:Sport / TAK route for next year, and get outside funding for a satellite team. Chilton alongside a young talented driver might be the approach, as MG did with Howell and Turkington next year. Having only one extra car seems half-hearted, unless that's all the funding they can get.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 15:49 (Ref:413336)   #8
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah it seems having two seperate teams seems to be the way ppl are going these days: Vauxhall and Egg, MG and TAK. As opposed to 2000 where the teams had three cars. However, Honda could just run a third car, they did for a few races in 99 for Tarquini.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 15:59 (Ref:413346)   #9
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good for chilton, my views on him are very high, view my thread about him in the BTCC discussion forum on Toca Tour
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:57 (Ref:413477)   #10
Reido Rules
Veteran

Chilton did surpass most expectations, but I just think that a Manufacturer would go with someone who is proven and strong, you look at their squad, yes they have 2 great drivers, who are quick, but no real legend like Leslie, Reid or Muller who can help set the car up, and develop it further using their experiance. I just can't see how appointing Chilton will helpt he team become more competitive. He's fairly quick, but he was well beaten by Slight over the course of a season.

As regards to Boardman he is very good on his day, but sometimes his a bit too enthusiastic for his own good and a bit too over zealous. But he does have one thing you can't teach or learn and that's determination.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:59 (Ref:413484)   #11
Reido Rules
Veteran

I don't think that it will be a satelight team, I see it just as a third car, and that's what Honda have said, so I doubt we'll be seeing a fourth car.

Chilton driving a Beacon prepared satelight car along with Spencer Marsh is the only way it will happen, but I know that that is not happing.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 21:07 (Ref:413648)   #12
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chilton has a deploma in Motorsport engineering!
Old 25 Oct 2002, 21:22 (Ref:413662)   #13
Reido Rules
Veteran

You can't teach a driver experiance, a driver has to know from experiance, not from a classroom, how his car is feeling etc.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 14:49 (Ref:414712)   #14
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
ye, so if he don't get another drive then he'll never be experienced just like everyone else wouldn't be experienced if they were not given a second chance
Old 27 Oct 2002, 16:07 (Ref:414769)   #15
Reido Rules
Veteran

But a works team looking to challenge that has two good drivers, but neither have great Touring car pedigree or experiance, so I would have thought Honda would have seeked an old master.

Chilton does need experiance, but I would reccomend him more to vauxhall or MG, who have some great depth already. Tom needs to learn from the best.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 19:30 (Ref:414910)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Honda have got their performance very good already. Priaulx and Morrison are more than capable of getting that car good (as they have done) plus Will Hoy was there to give advice this year.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:10 (Ref:414983)   #17
Reido Rules
Veteran

Spose your right, if will stays then I see no problem.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:43 (Ref:415016)   #18
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless of who is in what car, good luck to the two of them, Gravesy is a gutsy driver who will ring the last knockins out of a car, expect to see him up there next year, and Tom, if Tom can learn from his team mates, then Andy P will be the person to teach him, this will be the turning point to a career which i think will go all the way to the top...
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:47 (Ref:415021)   #19
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you know what I would Realy like to see. Will Hoy in a fourth Honda. I don't think it would happen but I think Will would do well.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:59 (Ref:415030)   #20
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And commentating at the same time, Stancolm styly....
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:09 (Ref:415039)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sim, that'd definitely make my day seeing Will Hoy race. I've only seen him once race at a circuit in person, that was in 1999 at Knockhill in the Laguna, which seemed painfully slow that day.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:12 (Ref:415046)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Highly unlikely though
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:20 (Ref:415054)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Sadly highly unlikely