Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who was the most improved driver in 2002?
Schumacher M 0 0%
Barrichello 7 17.07%
Montoya 9 21.95%
Raikkonen 11 26.83%
Button 8 19.51%
Heidfeld 0 0%
Irvine 1 2.44%
Fisichella 1 2.44%
Villeneuve 1 2.44%
Other 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Nov 2002, 01:22 (Ref:427451)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Most imprived Driver in 2002

I was reading the ITV.com 2002 Man of the year results and it got me thinking, which drivers really made a step forward this year?

Almost all improved in some way, even Mr Yoong at the back. But these are my top 3.

Most improved driver for 2002: Juan Pablo Montoya.

He's taken a huge step forward this year, and while I still don't think he's on Michaels level, he's getting there. Remembering this was only his 2nd season in F1, he took seven poles and was best of the rest makes him look very impressive. Towards the end of last year he looked better than Ralf, but IMO it was more Ralf dropping the ball than Monty moving forward. This year though, he's had Ralfs measure on most occassions, and when consitancy is added to his balls and all race style, he's going to be a worthy adversary.

2nd most improved driver for 2002: Michael Schumacher.

It's hard to believe, but he just gets better and better. IMO Michael is better today than ever before. From being fast, but wild and unscrupulous in his early years, he has become one of the most refined drivers in history. That combined with driving the fastest and most reliable car (possibly ever) unfortunately meant this championship was over before it started.

3rd most improved driver for 2002: Kimi Raikkonen

This was a harder choice. Many drivers could have come 3rd, but I think despite DC getting more points (and thats all that matters in the end) Kimi showed why Ron took the risk of signing the young Finn. Like Juan, he still has alot to learn before he can mix it with the 11 season veteran Michael, but after Michael is gone, Juan and Kimi could be the next big dual in F1.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 01:56 (Ref:427462)   #2
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey ya gotta put Webber in there he had an incredible first year!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 01:57 (Ref:427463)   #3
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or are rookies not included in most improved? hmmm not sure
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 02:00 (Ref:427465)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Not really Teddy, You can't measure an imprivement on nothing. But yes Rookie of the year easily.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 03:08 (Ref:427489)   #5
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button, without a doubt. Went from 0 points to easily beating Trulli. JPM is also a good choice. Kimi in his 2nd season is naturally going to get better and averaged 3.5 points per finish but he also had 10 DNFs (hes an engine-blower IMO) so I cant agree with you there Wrex.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 05:33 (Ref:427528)   #6
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello. In a few races he really did take his pace up to Michael. He's alot fitter too. I'd say considering his car has had a few hiccups too, that barrichello really has improved. He's not such a distant No 2 anymore. I think in another car he'd be fairly competitive but just a bit prone to setup blues.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 06:59 (Ref:427543)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM and Barrichello.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 09:30 (Ref:427619)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I have to go for Kimi - he improved to the extent that he was out qualifying and out racing DC. He was definitely faster than DC.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 10:36 (Ref:427652)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'd have to say....

Jenson proved that he can do the job given a half way decent car, having Jarno come in who was undoubtidly the future of Renault could have fazed Jenson and ruined his F1 career if he hadn't raised to the challenge.

Kimi proved beyond doubt that McLaren took the right decision to put him in the seat.

Juan Pablo 7 poles and best of the rest after the dominant Ferrari's, along with Kimi (especially) - the future of F1.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 12:15 (Ref:427703)   #10
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello is the most improved in my book. He showed some really good speed and race pace in relation to Schumacher. Too bad he suffered the majority of Ferrari's problems. If Ferrari gave him the chance, I think he could have been WDC for 2002!
When I think of somebody who is most improved, I think of somebody who has made a noticeable improvement. Kimi and Juan in my opinion are just naturally evolving into great drivers.
As for Button, well after having his arse handed to him by Fisi last year, he really had nowhere to go but up. Even then his performance in relation to Trulli wasn't the great. Trulli soundly outqualified him, and on race pace by the second half of the season they were fairly equal.
Remember that Button scored the majority of his points in the beginning of the season, when lets face it, it's probably the best time for a midfield to backmarker to score points. IMO Button has a lot more improving to do!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 13 Nov 2002, 12:26 (Ref:427709)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn, i'm the only person who thinks that Eddie improved the most with his sixth and third place coming from nowhere??
Old 13 Nov 2002, 13:32 (Ref:427749)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i'm with kimi, but do agree that schumacher does just get better and better. that's more a legacy of him having a brain and being able to improve on himself and the car. kimi's still learning (as would anyone with so few races under his belt in any form of car), and if he's this fast this soon, we can only wonder how fast he'll be in a few years time. on the other hand, if something goes astray in his evolution (eg mclaren forget to help him like they blatently did with dc) then this could be it. even so, he's rather quick.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 14:09 (Ref:427780)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jenson definately, everyone including myself was viewwing him as a failure a year agom but he trounced Trulli for most of the season and did a great job with the car. Too bad that he's been forced out by Flavio's politics.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 14:18 (Ref:427783)   #14
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
®îjñtjûh, I think Irvine's results were more due to the CAR improving than to Irv himself. They were good drives, but nothing that makes me think Irvine got any better than he has been in the past...

Last edited by shiny side up!; 13 Nov 2002 at 14:20.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 15:05 (Ref:427817)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I picked Kimi over JPM but it was not easy as JPM's racecraft was much improved. Kimi took a big stride as well and I guess I was impressed because of his (relative) lack of experience.

Good points by those who picked Michael, although I think he was more in a mode of consolidating all of the things he has improved with those things he already does well at (like testing).
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 15:15 (Ref:427826)   #16
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello and Montoya. In my opinion, anyway. Rubens looked a lot closer to winning (even without help from his friend) and Montoya managed a lot more pole positions.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 13 Nov 2002, 20:57 (Ref:428072)   #17
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comparing first race to last race, its pretty obvious:

Takuma Sato!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:53 (Ref:428107)   #18
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Juan. It´s ovbious that Kimi had a better season than in 2001, but he was on a better car, so Monty had the same car, and he performed better, got more points, more poles, hte only thing in which he didn´t improve was on the winning thing. Next year he´ll take care of that
Old 13 Nov 2002, 22:43 (Ref:428166)   #19
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon it's Barrichello easily.

When he went to Ferrari, I wasn't sure he'd be anywhere near Schumacher. And last year he wasn't really. But when he took pole at Melbourne this year I was stunned. He was really quite close to Schumacher or ahead of him for most of the races. Very rarely did Schumacher disappear miles off into the distance. Something that happened a lot last year.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 22:46 (Ref:428170)   #20
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Rubens has raised his game this last season but I voted for Kimi.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 22:59 (Ref:428180)   #21
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most improved: Kimi

Of course Juan Montoya went from one win to zero and all those poles with the souped-up qualifying BMW got him.....errr.....Zilch!!. These improvements are not easy to ignore.

Not to beat on the dude but it's hard to see how he could have "improved"...even Patrick had some critical comments towards the end of the season.

Kimi showed on the other hand, partly thanks to his passing manouver on Montoya, that he has now the speed and the racing brain (hear that Juan??) to take on the WC.

We'll have a great 2003 season between Schumi and Kimi if N.Haug gets Ilmor to produce an engine worthy of the Mercedes Benz tradition. (I'm assuming here that A. Newey's design will go back to his usual level)
Old 13 Nov 2002, 23:07 (Ref:428182)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
I'm suprised at the Button votes.

I did'nt really consider him because although he improved dramatically this year, last year he was half asleep. IMO, he's just getting back to where he was at Williams, the net effect being, nil improvement.

And Rubins, while getting alot closer to Michael in Qualifying, racing (with the odd exception) has generally been a different matter. I also put that down to the F12002 being such a great car. As for him being WDC.....
Old 14 Nov 2002, 03:51 (Ref:428241)   #23
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimmi gets my vote. Before this year he did not impress me at all with his racing skills he just seemed to be quick enough and less likely to throw the car off the road. This year he showed that he was not afraid to fight and make tough passes. He went toe to toe with JPM, who is one of the best racers on the grid.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 04:38 (Ref:428256)   #24
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, a good example of the hampered barrichello is the electrical problems at Magny Cours was it? Didn't even get a lap in.
Then there was fuel problems somewhere else. I know a few times his pits weren't 100%. So, to tell the truth I have to put in for Barri.
Sato's a rookie? If so, it'd explain him not being a choice.
Other than Barri of the non-rookies, Button. Even if he is only getting back to where he was, it's still a heavy improvement.
Irvine's always been that good, it's just the car got up to speed later. He's a better driver than DeLaRosa but most probably a shocking team mate and team player.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 05:58 (Ref:428283)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
And Rubins, while getting alot closer to Michael in Qualifying, racing (with the odd exception) has generally been a different matter. I also put that down to the F12002 being such a great car.
True, but it was a car Rubens could finally drive with relative ease, compared to the past few cars which were entirely based round TGF.