Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:35 (Ref:428098)   #1
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mo Nunn

Mo Nunn has announced his 2 irl cars for 03, but despite all the positive things he's said and great ideas he's had for CART, he still hasn't announced any sort of committment to champcars for next year. He could at least make an announcement saying that he will compete in the series next year, and will figure out his driver line up soon. He's starting to scare me, becuase he still has such strong ties to Honda- don't tell me they aren't throwing money at him and trying to persuade him not to stay in CART at all.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:38 (Ref:428099)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe he has a gag order too
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:44 (Ref:428101)   #3
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes, this is true, i hadn't thought of that possibility. But he has already declared for the irl, so what else could honda want from him? What problem would they have if he announced his CART plans before Mexico City
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:46 (Ref:428103)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Fernandez did, and he's running Hondas.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:56 (Ref:428108)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Fernandez's sponsors wanted him to remain in CART because they are the major sponsors of the races in Mexico. I don't think there is an oval suitable for the IRL down there.

Give Mo a chance. His background is road racing and I think he may be placating his sponsors by being at Indy.
Never forget #99
Old 13 Nov 2002, 22:59 (Ref:428181)   #6
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nunn announced he was switching to Toyota in the IRL next year.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 23:35 (Ref:428195)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
http://sports.yahoo.com/rac/irl/news...unnracing.html

(Mo Nunn Racing's) Team manager Peter Parrott said Wednesday no decision has been made whether to compete in both series again or to jump entirely to the IRL.

Parrott said there was no timetable for a decision.

"I couldn't even tell you. I'm not so certain that they know their full program yet within CART, so until that is resolved, then I couldn't say what we're doing," he said. "All I know is that we're definitely going to two cars in the IRL and that's what we'll be focusing on at this point in time."
Old 14 Nov 2002, 02:26 (Ref:428231)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I don't think there will be many, if any, announcements from anyone until the awards banquet. I'm quite sure that with or without a gag order the proper stratagy for CART and the sponsors will be to bring as much out as possible at one time, saying "We're here and we're here to stay!" Trickling little bits of information just get lost in the shuffle. Going into the off season on the highest possible note will have a bigger impact. As Pook said in his email to Liz..."keeping the powder dry".

Last edited by Flatspot; 14 Nov 2002 at 02:27.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 03:04 (Ref:428234)   #9
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there may not be a gag order on teams and the real reason for the lack of news is that no-one(sponsors) is willing to publicly commit to the series until the pook announcements. they may be delayed because of the negotiations going on in the background and Pook may even ask them to hold back their announcements until everything is in place. There is the Champweb rumour that a title sponsor is in place and it is not Ford but someone else. pook does not seem overly concerned about the delays and my guess is that when it all happens it may be so big that it dominates the news about North American open wheel competition for the entire northern winter. then again the series may be in so much trouble that even we will be dismayed and surprised, but somehow I don't think so...
Old 14 Nov 2002, 04:40 (Ref:428258)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
Personally, I don't think there will be many, if any, announcements from anyone until the awards banquet. I'm quite sure that with or without a gag order the proper stratagy for CART and the sponsors will be to bring as much out as possible at one time, saying "We're here and we're here to stay!" Trickling little bits of information just get lost in the shuffle. Going into the off season on the highest possible note will have a bigger impact. As Pook said in his email to Liz..."keeping the powder dry".
I disagree with that. The IRL have made just about all of their announcements. I would make them one announcement at a time. This way it appears as if there is more good news. CART remains in the motorsport headlines for a longer period of time. And it gives motorsport people like us a chance to pour over every deal, before the next one is done.

You saw how much CART struggled during the month of May when the 500 was being run and nothing was happening with CART.

I would confirm another team at Mexico City. And at the awards banquet I would announce things like title sponsor and any Ford deal for next year. Ideally, I would also announce confirmation of race venues for next year, and the complete calendar. I would then wait another couple of weeks before announcing another new team, and then trickle out team, driver and sponsor news as time progresses. A tactic like this will ensure positive news about CART stays in the press.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 05:34 (Ref:428274)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I don't think Mo would be dumping his CART operation. He's a racing man.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 05:44 (Ref:428277)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Mac, in some ways we actually agree. I said not many, if any, and I agree a team announcement at Mexico would be good. I fully expect Coyne to say something given that he has a new entry there. Your suggestion rolls out just about the rest of the show except one big one that I beleive is important, possibly where we disagree. The thing I think is a must at the banquet or in the very near term is to show the minimum 18 car field. Otherwise, CART team owners, particularly new ones, will still have a hard time securing sponsorship, primary or secondary, if the question of a viable series for next season still remains. If CART can show that now, it will be far easier to get expansion teams into the fold by next spring. It is the announcement of those expansion teams that can keep the off season upbeat.

Last edited by Flatspot; 14 Nov 2002 at 05:49.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 11:42 (Ref:428411)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the revised "footer" that goes out with the Champ Cars Press Releases. Notice who is included and even better, who is not: no mention of any of the deserting engines, sponsors or teams. Also notice Mo Nunn IS mentioned.

"Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc. (NYSE: MPH) owns, operates and markets the CART FedEx Championship Series. Newly-crowned 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series champion Cristiano da Matta is among the open-wheel stars competing with teams such as Newman/Haas Racing, Player's/Forsythe Racing, Team Rahal, Fernández Racing, Patrick Racing, Herdez Competition, Mo Nunn Racing , Walker Racing and others. CART Champ Cars are thoroughbred racing machines that reach speeds in excess of 200 miles per hour, showcasing the technical expertise of manufacturers such as Ford Motor Company, Lola Cars, Reynard Motorsport and Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC. The 19-race 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series will be broadcast by new television partners, CBS, FOX and SPEED Channel. CART also owns and operates its top development series, the CART Toyota Atlantic Championship. Learn more about CART's open-wheel racing series at www.cart.com."
Old 14 Nov 2002, 11:56 (Ref:428417)   #14
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mac
I disagree with that. The IRL have made just about all of their announcements. I would make them one announcement at a time. This way it appears as if there is more good news. CART remains in the motorsport headlines for a longer period of time.
And it gives motorsport people like us a chance to pour over every deal, before the next one is done.

Lets not get too excited Mac, despite Liz's byline these guys are in business, and they won't give a d.... about what you or I think of their deals.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 12:03 (Ref:428424)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, not giving a about what the fans think is what got F1 where it is today. And I get the feeling that even if "For the Fans" isn't in CART's byline yet, they do care what we think. When you're trying to rebuild your business, the last thing you want to do is alienate the customers you still have left.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 01:22 (Ref:428911)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by theracegypsy
Lets not get too excited Mac, despite Liz's byline these guys are in business, and they won't give a d.... about what you or I think of their deals.
Not so much you or I, but motorsport people - the media, people in the business etc. It gives them a chance to take it all on board. If you just blurt everything out at one time, things get lost. I say let every (or most) announcement stand on its own.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 07:39 (Ref:428996)   #17
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There wouldn't seem to be a reason to hold back announcements. There's no strategic gain with all the D&G and nervousness around. The best bet is that the deals aren't yet done. For the teams, as Parrott said, they're waiting to see what's on the table before committing (read that: money). Pook has said it will go together piece by piece. If they're holding stuff for the banquet, it has 10 days or so to "leak" out and get more exposure than if things are formally announced. Then again, there may be nothing to "leak" at this point because announcements were expected at SEMA and weren't made.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 07:42 (Ref:428997)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indycool does make a point.

Teams who have left to go to the Invisibles have done so with engine contracts in their pocket. Sponsors (meaning non-manufacturer assistance) don't mean much because Honda or Toyota are paying them big bikkies to go to the Invisible League.

But Mo has already said one car is definite for CART (i.e has sponsorship) and a second is on the way...
Old 15 Nov 2002, 11:40 (Ref:429107)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Announcements are to be made in Mexico; there's a press conference called by Pook & Co. today and rumours are that this concerns Ford.

But many other announcements are scheduled to be made over this weekend.