Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2002, 16:38 (Ref:435834)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wilson & Minardi: all but confirmed

F3000 champ Justin Wilson is undergoing a critical seat-fitting in Italy this weekend, as Minardi line up the Englishman for 2003.

Team Boss Paul Stoddart has no doubt on his prospective racer’s talent but is still seeking reassurance that Wilson’s 6’3" height can be accommodated.

He said, "I really believe Justin will be the star of 2003 and is a future race winner. His whole career has been leading up to this and I know he really wants the drive.

"But I need to know that he isn’t just cramming himself into the car and will be crippled with agony after a few racing laps"

i havent heard much about this guy, other than he is supposedly really good. can any one shed some more light?
Old 24 Nov 2002, 16:49 (Ref:435841)   #2
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He looked good in F3000 but has hardly set the world alight in Telefonica World Series this season, winning just once. Also, he won the inaugural (I think) Formula Palmer Audi Championship. Not sure about 'all but confirmed' though - the story did come from the News of the World.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 16:55 (Ref:435848)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What can I say about Justin? I'm a big fan of the guy. He trounced Mark Webber and Tomas Enge in 2001 F3000, scored nearly twice as many points as either of them, he's managed by Dr Jonathan Palmer who helped sponsor his first season in F3000, he would've done the races Davidson did if he'd've fitted into the car safely, but if the car's designed to incorporate him his height isn't a problem. He's also successfully tested CART for Newman-Haas.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 17:23 (Ref:435861)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It really surprised me that Justin, after winning his F3000 title, didn't get any proposal from any of the top/midranged teams for a racing seat or even a testing job, only to be noticed by Minardi...

Michael Shoemaker and even Jos "The Boss" got more attention...
Old 24 Nov 2002, 18:32 (Ref:435881)   #5
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He got a test with Jordan, and outpaced Alesi (I think) on his first drive in an F1 car in the wet (I know that was 'just' testing, but still).
Old 24 Nov 2002, 18:54 (Ref:435887)   #6
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's Jos and Justin at Minardi, but what about the engine?
Old 24 Nov 2002, 19:38 (Ref:435911)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope it all works out as I think Justin will shine next season...........
Old 24 Nov 2002, 19:42 (Ref:435913)   #8
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
So it's Jos and Justin at Minardi, but what about the engine?
Hate to burst your bubble (uh..no I don't) but Jos is far from confirmed at Minardi. And once they get in Justin, I think the other one will be bringing the much needed money. And since Jos isn't quite the sponsors dream...
Old 24 Nov 2002, 20:00 (Ref:435924)   #9
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see Bernoldi and Wilson driving for Minardi next year. Does Bernoldi still have that Red Bull money BTW?
Old 24 Nov 2002, 20:10 (Ref:435926)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Justin already has to bring money and Paul has said he wanted Jos to drive for Minardi several times already, and Jos also has backing(Trust), the only thing Jos is waiting for is a good engine, according to the dutch magazine "Race Report" Jos already has the contract on his desk, he will sign it as soon as Minardi close the engine deal
Old 24 Nov 2002, 20:44 (Ref:435942)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reason why Justin Wilson didnt set the world alight in Formula Nissan is because he had a very late deal hurridly put together, thinking he may have had a full time test role with a team or a race seat in F1, it didnt happen. Thats how he ended up in Formula Nissan, Im not sure where but ive read a interview with him and he goes on to say how for the first part of the season he had 3 differnt engineers which dosent help lol.

Hes now got a engineer from Oreca and for the last few races has started pulling out some great results. Wilson is a fantastic driver he beat all the records in F3000 set by JPM in 1998 and totally destroyed the oppostion. I think Wilson will be in F1 next year, but which car? Maybe one of the Arrows? (if they enter.) or a Minardi?

Either way he has a point to prove and I reckon given a chance he could show the world he is better than the likes of Webber.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 21:23 (Ref:435962)   #12
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
The reason why Justin Wilson didnt set the world alight in Formula Nissan is because he had a very late deal hurridly put together
He had run for one of best teams of TWS. The "very late deal" is not a good excuse...
Old 24 Nov 2002, 21:47 (Ref:435972)   #13
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Yes it is, Justin is one of the tallest drivers around, if the deal had come sooner the car could have been addapted more to his lenght.

Last edited by steve nielsen; 24 Nov 2002 at 21:48.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 22:43 (Ref:436019)   #14
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
on itvs site it said something about cosworths...let me check...

later...

ok it dosent say n e thing about cosworths, but i think that is what they will be reciving as part of the deal which lead Webber to Jag. I think.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 24 Nov 2002 at 22:48.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 22:50 (Ref:436030)   #15
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from itv-f1.com
Quote:
Stoddart is also set to announce new backing for the team. Gian Carlo Minardi has just returned from Russia – apparently to close the deal with Russian gas giant Gazprom.

On the back of that will come a new engine deal with Cosworth worth £8million.

Stoddart said, "We will have the best engine in the team’s 19-year history and I can’t wait."
Old 25 Nov 2002, 19:40 (Ref:436623)   #16
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Verstappen: top of Minardi's shortlist
"...He is a great driver and a great bloke, and is still hungry"
Minardi chief Paul Stoddart has confirmed that Jos Verstappen is top of the list for a drive next year.
'He is a great driver and a great bloke, the 47-year-old said over the weekend.

Stoddart adds: 'I know him well from my time with Tyrrell; he's one of the friendliest guys in pitlane but, more than that, we know how each other operates and there is a mutual trust there.'

30-year-old Verstappen, from Montford in the Netherlands, debuted for Benetton in 1994 but quickly descended the Grand Prix grid to be finally spat out by Arrows late last year.

But Stoddart thinks that the highly-popular Dutch charger is still hungry for success and will be an asset to the Minardi-Cosworth package.

'Jos is hungry, of that you can be sure,' says Paul Stoddart. 'He is one of the quickest guys out there to boot. This is one aspect of the package that I don't need to sweat about - drivers.'

The Faenza team boss adds that, with a diminishing number of seats available in Formula One, the driver market has never been more favorable for a smaller, independent team.

'You're going to see a pretty great little driver combination next year,' he enthuses. 'And Jos Verstappen is definitely right at the top of the short-list.'

47-year-old Australian Paul Stoddart thinks that his technical package in 2003 will be Minardi's best ever.

With the ultra light-weight Cosworth engine and 'sixth or seventh best' PS03 chassis, Stoddart could well fulfill his ambition of landing in the Formula One midfield next year.

Former F3000 champ Justin Wilson and BAR tester Anthony Davidson reside positions two and three on the 2003 Minardi driver shopping-list.

And while Minardi looked likely to succumb to financial pressures ahead of season 2003, Stoddart now says that the sponsorship situation has 'Improved dramatically for us.'

He adds: 'I am 100 per cent certain we will be in Melbourne at the start of next season. The future is looking bright.'

www.f1press.net
Old 26 Nov 2002, 11:51 (Ref:437069)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't want to put a spanner in the works, but I have read that Minardi are looking for Wilson to bring $5M to secure the drive.

I think we all know the chances of that happening now....
Old 26 Nov 2002, 11:58 (Ref:437077)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If only Minardi had the money to look to the longer term - they have done nicely out of Webber, by using their season's investment to sell him on to Jaguar.
Old 26 Nov 2002, 12:40 (Ref:437112)   #19
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'am looking forward to a good ROTY 03 Wilson v Alonso
The Boss and Wilson sounds to Minardi is only getting stronger
Old 26 Nov 2002, 12:50 (Ref:437135)   #20
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Justin did break Montoya's points record, but he did have 12 races in his championship year instead of Montoya's 10.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 12:55 (Ref:438622)   #21
goody
Rookie

goody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
has anybody heard anything on this? the more time goes on the less likely i think it is that wilson will race with minardi next year. i've got my fingers crossed though.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:12 (Ref:438675)   #22
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
sometimes you feel minardi just like throwing stories to the revelant countries newspapers for publicity. wilson to be given a seat fitting...but no sign of him in valencia.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 21:04 (Ref:439022)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by goody
has anybody heard anything on this? the more time goes on the less likely i think it is that wilson will race with minardi next year. i've got my fingers crossed though.
As far as I understood, Wilson will get the ride if he "brings along" sponsors for 5 million (don't remember which currency).
I think he missed a couple of drives because of his length.

And I think there's a big difference between "We will give you the seat, unless you can't find the sponsors" and "Give us the money, than we will give you the seat".

With Verstappen and Wilson, Minardi would have experience, talent, and probably (just) enough money.
With Verstappen and a pay driver, they would have experience and money, but no driver for the future.
With Wilson and a pay driver, they would have talent and money, but no experience.
So if Wilson's manager can find sponsors for Minardi, he will probably get the drive.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 23:24 (Ref:439099)   #24
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don K
I think he missed a couple of drives because of his length.

[/QUOTE

Are we talking about his esteemed manager here?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 23:25 (Ref:439100)   #25
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K

So if Wilson's manager can find sponsors for Minardi, he will probably get the drive.
Oh we are!!