Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Dec 2002, 23:01 (Ref:445874)   #1
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Ben 93 325is should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone hear any news about Jimmy Vasser?

Or is it safe to assume he will be in NASCAR or something other than CART? Last I heard he was browsing NASCAR teams REALLY hard! Anyone hear anything else?
Old 8 Dec 2002, 23:53 (Ref:445924)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You'll be the first person I tell when I do hear something...
All I can say is that I really hope he can stay in CART.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 00:12 (Ref:445945)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing I've heard is that Gentilozzi wanted to sign him but Vasser wants way too much money. Frankly, that surprised me, as I didn't think Vasser was starved for cash.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 01:41 (Ref:445996)   #4
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
The only thing I've heard is that Gentilozzi wanted to sign him but Vasser wants way too much money. Frankly, that surprised me, as I didn't think Vasser was starved for cash.
I just don't get it. Is $$ all that matters to some people?! Apparantly so...just look at Dario and Tony. If I were Jimmy, I would have jumped all over a Gentilozzi ride. You know that guy is going to run a successful team. I hope he comes to his senses...I like him a lot. We sure can use his recognizable name in the series too.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 01:57 (Ref:446001)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vasser's overrated, especially in his own mind.

The last I saw from him, he was wearing a polo shirt and kaki shorts, driving a Ford truck in the Baja 1000.

That I _do_ have to respect...
Old 9 Dec 2002, 02:04 (Ref:446003)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Vasser's overrated, especially in his own mind.

The last I saw from him, he was wearing a polo shirt and kaki shorts, driving a Ford truck in the Baja 1000.

That I _do_ have to respect...
Especially if they were Kaki rather than Khaki !!
Not much time for toilet breaks in the desert I guess ? :-)
Old 9 Dec 2002, 03:26 (Ref:446033)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, yeah... I don't bother to proofread for casual posts.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 03:48 (Ref:446038)   #8
bingman
Racer

bingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i also don't poof read
Old 9 Dec 2002, 06:21 (Ref:446085)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I've heard Vasser is looking closely at NASCAR or CART, and will take whatever offers the most money. Which is a shame, as I thought he would have stayed in CART no matter what...
Old 9 Dec 2002, 06:28 (Ref:446089)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Motorsport News it said he was looking at a Busch seat. I'd say the way it's looking he'll just have to take what he can get, whether it be NASCAR, CART, IRL, Sportscars etc....
Old 9 Dec 2002, 12:07 (Ref:446240)   #11
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vasser has also been rumored for a second car at Patrick. He talked to Ganassi about a Busch or Winston Cup ride but that didn't happen. Rahal has talked about him for a second car at Indy. He's on a big shopping spree but just hasn't yet found the product he wants...or wants him...yet.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 12:16 (Ref:446243)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or can afford him.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 22:54 (Ref:446626)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he didn't expect so much money, he'd most likely already have a CART seat for 2003.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 04:27 (Ref:446745)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did he even get paid racing for Patrick? Why the heck is he so proud?
Old 10 Dec 2002, 09:33 (Ref:446836)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ganassi paid for his seat at Patrick in 2001, as he was still under contract with Chip.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 23:29 (Ref:447340)   #16
fanofracing
Rookie

fanofracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do any of you actually know that Jimmy is looking for big dough? Do any of you know that he actually turned down the seat with Gentilozzi?
Why shouldn't he hold out for as much as he can get, he is a former series champ, one of the series most recoginzed drivers, and an Americian which is exactly what CART needs.

Maybe he really wants to try something new. He has been driving open wheel cars for most of his career, so maybe he just wants a change.

Before you start going on about how high Jimmy is on himself, maybe you should get the facts and not just believe rumors.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 05:11 (Ref:447426)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by fanofracing
Do any of you actually know that Jimmy is looking for big dough? Do any of you know that he actually turned down the seat with Gentilozzi?
Why shouldn't he hold out for as much as he can get, he is a former series champ, one of the series most recoginzed drivers, and an Americian which is exactly what CART needs.

Maybe he really wants to try something new. He has been driving open wheel cars for most of his career, so maybe he just wants a change.

Before you start going on about how high Jimmy is on himself, maybe you should get the facts and not just believe rumors.
Who are you Jimmy Vasser?!? j/k Without rumours and speculation this forum is pointless and impotent.

Vasser is a bit of a mistery to me. In the past he was clearly fast, but then he just seemed to loose it. There were odd times when he's been fast since, but often he seems to screw it up. @ Fontana he was hands down the fastest guy, but he kept losing his lead on pit entry & exit. With no pit stops/yellows he would have been a lap ahead of everyone! Very frustrating and it's hard to cheer for the guy, even though he deserves it. Now put him in a situation where his car is only okay. He doesn't move up as much as he's capable of and has mediocre results. Despite being American I don't think that's enough for him. I hope he's there in 2003, but beyond that I think I'd like to see him leave.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 08:11 (Ref:447472)   #18
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every driver has up and down times in their career. Jimmy Vassar is a great ambassador for motorsport, speaks well and is a good driver. As quoted by Snrub "put him in a situation where his car is only ok. He doesn't move up as much as he's capable of and has mediocre results".Any driver in a car thats "only ok" will have mediocre also.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 18:38 (Ref:447790)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by mickj
Every driver has up and down times in their career. Jimmy Vassar is a great ambassador for motorsport, speaks well and is a good driver. As quoted by Snrub "put him in a situation where his car is only ok. He doesn't move up as much as he's capable of and has mediocre results".Any driver in a car thats "only ok" will have mediocre also.
What I was trying to say is that when Jimmy's car is average he doesn't seem to make full use of it. However, I think he has the ability to do more. DaMatta had multiple races where he didn't have the best car, but he still won or did very well. That's the extreme example, but you see other guys doing it too.

You make a good point with the ambassador thing. He speaks clearly and has a pretty good attitude.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 22:34 (Ref:447941)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about sportscars with Zanardi?
Old 12 Dec 2002, 12:00 (Ref:448216)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Paul Gentilozzi said that Vasser was looking for $1.5 million and that was too much for him. I have nothing against Vasser, but in a time when the sport is retrenching, I would certainy not be insisting on twice the money that the masses of new guys are getting. Someone should show him where it got Jacques. If you insist that the size of your paycheque indicates your value, and nobody will hire you ....
Old 14 Dec 2002, 21:43 (Ref:450031)   #22
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Someone should show him where it got Jacques.
Exactly. Remember when Senna told Frank Williams that he would drive for him for free...just so he could get a great seat? I guess the true champions are gone. They're just business men now.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 13:55 (Ref:450392)   #23
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by fanofracing

C'mon Jimmy, getting paid to do what you (supposedly) love, I would do it for just enough to live on!, (does any CART team want to take me up on that? )

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 15 Dec 2002, 14:07 (Ref:450401)   #24
Liz
Veteran

It's fine for him to "hold out for as much as he can get" if he's willing to take the chance that he'll end up with $0.00 and a seat on his sofa for 2003.

And judginb by today's stick and ball (or puck) sports, a lot of these guys seem to think they can't live on less than $1 million a year. Jimmy, you need to get out more.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 23:02 (Ref:450709)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is that he can probably wait all he likes and fall back on a job in the Nascar minor league that pays more than $0.00.

Perhaps he'll do what all great sportspeople do when they are unwanted, and <gulp> become a commentator...

CART needs some American's, and some drivers the casual fans can recognise. Having a series full of rookies isn't the greatest thing from a marketing standpoint.