Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Dec 2002, 06:29 (Ref:448862)   #1
Paul Raymond
Rookie

Paul Raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's the most overrated and over hyped driver?

My vote goes to Max Papis? An ex-F1 backmarker who steps into a Ferrari at Daytona, beats 2 bankers, a 60 year-old ceo of Momo, 2 50-year old has-beens and an ex-Microsoft account and people think he's Nigel Mansell? What the hell is wrong with the American public?
Old 13 Dec 2002, 07:07 (Ref:448870)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrong forum isnt it ?

Of junior level drivers, of those who's results dont reflect the amont of PR they get, id have to say without a doubt Danica patrick .
Old 13 Dec 2002, 07:50 (Ref:448878)   #3
bingman
Racer

bingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah but at least papis puts out.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 10:05 (Ref:448929)   #4
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daniel Clarke, Jonathan Lewis' nephew?
Old 13 Dec 2002, 10:22 (Ref:448935)   #5
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
lewis hamilton... and yes i know u lot seem to like him for some reason.. but i think hes the most overated at the moment.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 12:40 (Ref:448997)   #6
caro_line69
Rookie

caro_line69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Lewis Hamilton has been over rated since he started appearing in Mens magazines years ago. And that crappy kart moment in Top Gear with Vicki Butler-Henderson. If memory serves me, she was in some battered customer's kart and he was racing his own European race-spec one.

But still, the fact that Jamie Green whuped 'im this year goes to show he aint the new messiah of the F1 world.

Caro_line69
Old 13 Dec 2002, 13:10 (Ref:449016)   #7
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by caro_line69
But still, the fact that Jamie Green whuped 'im this year goes to show he aint the new messiah of the F1 world.

Caro_line69
Yeah Jamie Green sure did whup Hamilton this season by outscoring him by a massive 5 points and winning one less round!
Old 13 Dec 2002, 13:13 (Ref:449020)   #8
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by caro_line69
Yeah, and by the same ruling as that, Juan Pablo Montoya is totally overrated, because Rubens Barrichello "whuped 'im" in F1 this year.

Out of Green and Hamilton, I think that Green's got more maturity and smoothness in his driving (but he is a few years older than Hamilton), but Hamilton makes more gutsy moves. They're both very talented drivers, and I feel that Green is under-hyped.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 19:43 (Ref:449275)   #9
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's the most overrated and over hyped driver?

See "Lucky Daniel" thread.

Old 13 Dec 2002, 20:56 (Ref:449315)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me its got to be Robbie Kerr.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:06 (Ref:449323)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
how can it be? he wasn't rated until the middle or the end of this year...
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:11 (Ref:449329)   #12
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the very greatest of respect to "Saleen" how can Robbie be the most overated and overhyped driver, at the start of the season, he was not even considered a one of the top five contenders for the F3 championship.

His achievement this season in winning the F3 championship, and totally destroying the pre season favourite, James Courtney, whilst driving for the unfavoured ADR team has to be one of the strongest seasons in F3 for many years. Not only did Kerr win the championship, but he totally erroded Courtney's self confidence.

If a driver in F3 deserved to be classed as been over hyped it has to be James Courtney.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:15 (Ref:449332)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
see, i might agree with james courtney even if you might be being a bit biased.

lewis hasn't been hyped by anyone except people on places like this board who expect him to be a god instantly.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:17 (Ref:449335)   #14
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who doesnt rate ADR? They're one of the strongest engineering teams in the series. They just didnt have the PR rapport with the managers to attract the best drivers.

Lewis has definately been hyped, mostly by magazines. Hell I was reading about him in the states back in 1997 in Autoweek
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:20 (Ref:449338)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
but for his talent it's about the right amount of hype. jamie green's been under hyped, so you can't compare the two at all.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:32 (Ref:449345)   #16
play mate
Rookie

play mate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely you mean kerr is under-rated? he kicked ass this year, an didnt get any credit until mid-season.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:51 (Ref:449369)   #17
Back Marker
Rookie

Back Marker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robbie ker kicked ass this year period. No way is he over-rated.
Now he just deserves one test day in an F1 car to show everyone what he can really do.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 22:42 (Ref:449411)   #18
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta be James Courtney, found himself obliterated this season leaving him and his management to spend the second half of the year searching for unfeesable excuses to suggest why he wasn't performing. Simple, he wasn't good enough.

Robbie Kerr and Jamie Green are the two most under-hyped drivers around whilst in my opinion they are the two hottest British F1 prospects at the moment.

Daniel Clarke is another who seems to have a big mouth and not to many results to back it up although he did drive well to win at Thruxton and Brands but over the season didn't live up to the hype he was talking up. Will be interesting to see how he goes in his third year of FFord racing with the best team in the series next year. I have a feeling Mr Jarvis and co may leave him rather upset.

Last edited by Gaz; 13 Dec 2002 at 22:44.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 23:40 (Ref:449444)   #19
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clearly Saleen S7R has mistakenly strayed onto the wrong website.He obviously doesn't know anything about motorsport and was probably looking for a site dedicated to mental health or something similar.It looks like he's typed some nonsense about Robbie Kerr whilst temporarily free from his straight-jacket.Lets hope they don't leave the cell door open again - aren't some people weird!?
Old 14 Dec 2002, 00:39 (Ref:449476)   #20
String
Rookie

String should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's the Lewis Hamilton lad, mainly the motorsporting world were trumpeting his exploits in karting long before he got anywhere near a car with springs attached. And he may have done well, but the but explosion that a lot of people were waiting for didn't arrive!

And maybe on the strength of the blaitant press release schpeal on the 'Lucky daniel' thread. That young mr. Clarke! I just hope it dosen't go to his head! Early days yet!
Old 14 Dec 2002, 01:09 (Ref:449484)   #21
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get confused between over-hyped and over-rated. Lewis is over-hyped, but (partly because of a lifetime of being over-hyped) he's a damn good driver. Jamie Green was never over-hyped. He was always a good driver. I'm not convinced he's special, but he's very good. People can become special in their own time. As someone rather clever once said, he's a very modest guy with much to be modest about.

But the comments about Robbie Kerr are unbelievable! Robbie is a very fast driver, gutsy and committed too, but you can't call him over-hyped. Any hype he has got right now, he's earned every penny of it.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 14 Dec 2002, 01:13 (Ref:449488)   #22
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
And yes, over-hyping can be a negative thing. People were expecting Lewis to do a Raikkonen - first year of car racing, go into Manor (Raikkonen's car, Raikkonen's data) and blitz everybody. No it didn't happen, but it was unreasonable to expect it to ... he came good in the second half of the year, and will be favourite for next year. Let's see next year if he can live up to his hype. If he does do next year in Formula Renault, it could be Lewis's true test.

And if you were his management, would you put him back there?? Anything less than a comprehensive Danny Watts-type win would do his career no favours.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 14 Dec 2002, 01:20 (Ref:449494)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
wouldn't be wise chucking him in f3 though, could deepen the 'now you've really got to win' crisis even further....

i've heard that lewis was very highly rated by the people that mattered - ie the ones that saw the data and thought he was great from that. so there.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 01:51 (Ref:449515)   #24
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I heard that too ... and I've known him long enough to believe that he is good. Not as good as the hype, maybe, but who is?? (Apart from me in the bedroom department, of course)

But all we cynics know that being good isn't enough. You need hype. You need spin. And if Lewis went to F3 next year, he could learn and not be expected to win. If he did FRenault again, he HAS to win. I personally hope he does do FR ...
Old 14 Dec 2002, 02:26 (Ref:449534)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
no spin, no money for racing cars. no, not that type of spin....

lewis can't not do formula renault. who else is gonna whup the opposition? there's only 2 others that might win it..