Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2003, 02:55 (Ref:591857)   #1
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brundle believes JV still has it !

Even itv's Martin Brundle (ex-f1 driver) knows JV still has it. Look at his comments at the Spanish GP's final qualifiying;

"Jacques... I'm in total admiration of Jacques Villeneuve's driving," Martin said. "Always have been in terms of the way he's always wrung the neck of anything he's driven but without getting ragged."

"He's very committed into a corner, he carries a lot of speed. He's a brave driver with the car control to go with it but sometimes you've just got to let the car do a bit more of the work."

"Look how smooth he is behind the wheel - [he's] really calm behind the wheel carrying a lot of speed through the apexes and when you look at that you'd have to say, well, not too much wrong with the balance of that car, so where is the speed decaying, where is he losing those crucial tenths of a second?"

We now know that the speed was being lost because of a heavy fuel load, but Jacques is sure to appreciate any support he is given as he tries to find a seat for next year.
- www.BARF1fans.com

Now if the BAR could only last an entire race!
Old 7 May 2003, 03:31 (Ref:591881)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Teddy Teddy Teddy

You can get 100 people to line-up to say the same thing. Does'nt make them right or wrong. Jackie Stewart thinks MS is the best driver ever, does'nt mean he's right (and I would put more value on his opinion than Martins).

Proof happens on the track. Had he blown Panis away, or was kicking Jenson (before each retirement) I would give him more credit.

But surely you agree Jacques is'nt the driver he was back in his CART days or 96 and 97?
Old 7 May 2003, 03:51 (Ref:591890)   #3
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
I wouldn't say he's not the same driver, actually I'd say (as he does) that he's a better driver today just his car that has let him down. You obviously don't follow JV very closely if you had you would know that all of his teammates have found him to be an extremly tough competitor (as Panis admitted not long ago) and that with regards to Jenson he has retired BEFORE his stratagy has had a chance to play out (JV has almost always gone heavier than Button in quals)

Nevertheless the point with this topic is that I was really surprised to hear anything positive about JV come out of Brundle's mouth I typically thought he had something against Jacques (kinda like u Wrex)

Last edited by TeddyG; 7 May 2003 at 03:52.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 7 May 2003, 03:56 (Ref:591893)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG
(kinda like u Wrex)
Me - never

I concede JV is a very good driver (and I dont think I've ever said otherwise), just as most would say the same about Michael, Kimi or Juan. He would make any team-mate earn their money (even MS), but he lacks that something he previously had that made him a winner. Now he's just a whinner.
Old 7 May 2003, 04:03 (Ref:591896)   #5
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Ok fair enough but I hope you remember all this when he gets back on top!
As I will remember what I said if he is forced out of F1...of course I won't waste my time on what will be an extremely dull sport if he does go, so you won't have to worry about me.

However I really believe that the powers that be (Bernie, etc.) will let that happen. Besides Schmacher, Villeneuve is the second biggest name in motorsport and whether you care or not losing him would be a blow for F1 (especially in North America where F1 is really trying to become more popular)....like I said though we will see.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 7 May 2003, 08:42 (Ref:592058)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not too convinced by this "wasted two-stop" idea - I can't see any evidence that two stops would have been effective - all of the Bridgestone runners found severely reduced performance on worn tyres and I doubt that BAR coud have made that strategy work.

Back to the topic - it is clear that Martin Brundle holds a lot of repect for his driving, as do I and many, many others. Where Brundle and I differ is in his view that most of the younger drivers don't have similar ability - it is clear that JV has at least failed to beat JB comprehensively, and I don't believe that he'll turn that situation around even if he gets better reliability - their basic speed seems pretty similar. On the grounds that Button and JV are more or less even, and that Button and Trulli were more or less even, I have to conclude that Jaques would be lost against Fisi and totally blown away by Alonso. Any last remaining shred of an idea that Jacques could give Michael Schumacher a hard fight on equal terms seems pretty daft on this evidence.
Old 7 May 2003, 08:52 (Ref:592068)   #7
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand

well maybe when he actually gets some reliability we will see...end of story.
Old 7 May 2003, 08:57 (Ref:592074)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to remember Jacques had a good race at the A1-Ring last year - didn't get much of a result, but raced well and did some good moves. Look forward to that - see if he can do more of the same but this year with a much more competitive car.
Old 7 May 2003, 09:06 (Ref:592088)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Me - never

he lacks that something he previously had that made him a winner.
Perhaps... a good car??

Wrex, from an expert like you are, i d'dnt expect such a sentence!
I completely agree with about not being enthusiast about JV, the best ever paid driver compared to his performances.

But his golden period (1996-97) is clearly due to the fact that he drove a car that was way the best in the circus, not to having something more than now.
And the fact that in his first year he lost to Hill (which is not a Senna) shows that he's not that phenomenon.

But if in 1996-97 twas impossible not to win with Williams, now it's impossible not to lose with BAR.
Any speculation about JV progress/regress regadless of it is unproposable indeed.

Last edited by climb; 7 May 2003 at 09:08.
Old 7 May 2003, 11:40 (Ref:592254)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Ok fair enough but I hope you remember all this when he gets back on top!
He's quickly running out of time for that Teddy
Old 7 May 2003, 11:51 (Ref:592269)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
As I will remember what I said if he is forced out of F1...
The man forcing him out is himself! He did not need to specify that he had no place in F1 if he couldn't beat Button. The situation is entirely JV's fault. Easily remedied though - all he's got to do is comprehensively beat Button in the way that he clearly expected to do and I'm sure that his future is safe.
Old 7 May 2003, 12:20 (Ref:592303)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The situation is entirely David Richard's fault. Easily remedied though - all he's got to do is resign and let someone capable take over the team and I'm sure that BAR's and JV's future will be safe.
Old 7 May 2003, 18:17 (Ref:592661)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
JV still has it, its just been so long that the BARF has been crp, that hes forgotten where he put it. With the reliability issues of the BARF this year, he may very well be on the outside, looking in. Funny though, the conspiracy theorists talk about BARF giving JV a bum car, and as the races pile up along with the DNF's, it seems as though they may have a bit of a point.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 7 May 2003 at 18:18.
Old 7 May 2003, 18:28 (Ref:592668)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JV wasn't THAT great in his CART days. However, he was clearly good.

I don't know why he is not more competitive with Button. We'll have to wait and see if it carries on. Keep in mind he's probably having a miserable time @ BAR.
Old 7 May 2003, 19:09 (Ref:592710)   #15
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps it'd be wise to reserve comments until JV and JB have a 3 or 4 races where they both finish?
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 7 May 2003, 23:40 (Ref:593011)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Funny though, the conspiracy theorists talk about BARF giving JV a bum car, and as the races pile up along with the DNF's, it seems as though they may have a bit of a point.

Does anyone seriously believe a racing organisation (along with an outside engine manufacturer) would sabotage a car after spending that much money on racing. C'mon
Old 8 May 2003, 09:23 (Ref:593238)   #17
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
No I don't believe they are manufacturing JV's car to fail as it is doing that would be stupid...however I do believe they may be siding with Jenson when it comes to new parts, aero bits, etc. if there aren't enough to go around for both cars.

JV is an asset to the BAR team. DR knows that JV needs to beat JB quite badly in order to land a decent drive but if DR really wants to hang on to Jacques he could do some things (albeit very suttle things) giving JB a slight advantage...DR would win out this way as JV won't get any offers and BAR will be his only option and since JV has stated no matter where he is next season he will be paid on a performance basis... DR gets a former world champ at a bargain price for future seasons when he belives the BAR will be more competitive and really need a WDC caliber driver such as Jacques.

hey I gotta admit it would be pretty tempting to try a few things if I was DR...just better be very good about it because if JV gets a whiff...oh man the fireworks!

I don't see Honda objecting all that much either as they are keen to keep JV on board...especially for when they produce the best engine in F1 (it's coming soon right?)

Last edited by TeddyG; 8 May 2003 at 09:27.
Old 8 May 2003, 09:29 (Ref:593244)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Dream dream dream. Hey TeddyG, why on earth can't you just accept the patently obvious - that Jenson is is roughly as quick as Jacques? What's so unacceptable about that?
Old 8 May 2003, 09:40 (Ref:593259)   #19
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No I don't believe they are manufacturing JV's car to fail as it is doing that would be stupid...however I do believe they may be siding with Jenson when it comes to new parts, aero bits, etc. if there aren't enough to go around for both cars.

JV is an asset to the BAR team. DR knows that JV needs to beat JB quite badly in order to land a decent drive but if DR really wants to hang on to Jacques he could do some things (albeit very suttle things) giving JB a slight advantage...DR would win out this way as JV won't get any offers and BAR will be his only option and since JV has stated no matter where he is next season he will be paid on a performance basis... DR gets a former world champ at a bargain price for future seasons when he belives the BAR will be more competitive and really need a WDC caliber driver such as Jacques.

Wow!
I wouldn't have believed this post unless i saw it for myself...

Think about what you have written and about whom you have written it....how dumb do you think JV is?

Be honest with me, there is no way that is a real theory, right?
Old 8 May 2003, 09:49 (Ref:593263)   #20
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Hey I'm not saying it's happening...just putting it out there.
I like to stir the pot...in case you haven't noticed

Last edited by TeddyG; 8 May 2003 at 09:51.
Old 8 May 2003, 10:07 (Ref:593276)   #21
jbisminesothere
Rookie

United Kingdom
the middle of nowhere
jbisminesothere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personaly i think JV is a total arse, i think he's had his time and he should let a new driver have his chance
Old 8 May 2003, 10:08 (Ref:593278)   #22
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

hey I gotta admit it would be pretty tempting to try a few things if I was DR...just better be very good about it because if JV gets a whiff...oh man the fireworks!

I don't see Honda objecting all that much either as they are keen to keep JV on board...especially for when they produce the best engine in F1 (it's coming soon right?)
Even if GOS takes a massive paycut, he would still be way overpaid as a test driver.

You actually think either Richards or Honda gives a **** about GOS, when they already have Button and Sato basically locked in for next year? At least try to stir up the pot with something believable.
Old 8 May 2003, 10:13 (Ref:593281)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, i think JB is a total arse, i think he's had his time and should let a better driver have his chance.

Like Mazzacane!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 8 May 2003 at 10:13.
Old 8 May 2003, 10:14 (Ref:593284)   #24
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Even if GOS takes a massive paycut, he would still be way overpaid as a test driver.

At least try to stir up the pot with something believable.
I could say the same thing about that little comment!
Old 8 May 2003, 10:19 (Ref:593294)   #25
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think BAR are total arses I think they have had their time and should let a better team have their chance. Bring on Andrea Moda!

Last edited by corkholio; 8 May 2003 at 10:19.