Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2003, 18:44 (Ref:642953)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real Racer

After reading this article I had to ask the same question here. What is the difinition a racer?

To me a racer does as much ontrack as he does off. He/she takes calculated risks and is able to race hard and consistent. JPM is a racer for example, so is JV.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 18:56 (Ref:642963)   #2
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A real racer is a driver who doesn't back down for ontrack-duelling, is skilled in doing so, and rather takes up the immediate fight than to leave it all to pitstops. Unfortunatly the technical rules and the sporting rules, play into the hands of those who'd rather avoid ontrack-duelling.

I think many drivers will rise to the occassion when to occassion actually arises. Kimi will fight JPM if needed, JPM will fight MS if needed. Even DC is has made some pretty spectacular overtakingmanoeuvres. Rubens never had a problem with overtaking while starting from the back. Sato had some great duels in Monaco, Silverstone and Indy. Of course there is Villeneuve, who sometimes takes it a bit overboard, and so on and so on.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:07 (Ref:642968)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uh, what he said...
Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:26 (Ref:642989)   #4
billaboy
Rookie

billaboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Real Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap

To me a racer does as much ontrack as he does off. He/she takes calculated risks and is able to race hard and consistent. JPM is a racer for example, so is JV. [/B]
I agree with you there; testing and car develompent are huge to racing and being a "racer" you cant just "show up" on race day! ( I guess JPM does to...getting caught doing 205kpm in an X5..way to go...he he ) But seriously I dont understand how he can say DC isn't a real racer and then say...
(("Coulthard has fought the best of them – and succeeded. He has raced wheel-to-wheel with Michael Schumacher and bettered the German on several occasions. He has won the Monaco Grand Prix twice – a feat that cannot be ignored. But, despite all of this, could the Scot actually be classed as a real racer?"))
This is confusing to me. Just the simple fact that he admitted that he has alot to learn makes him more of a racer than most drivers; and so what if he has a hot girlfriend that he brings to the track...if I had a girlfriend that hot I'd show her off to! Women and fast cars have always gone together..like pizza and beer!
Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:51 (Ref:643015)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you define a racer as above, then this can be seriously affected by how well the driver can set up the car. Some drivers can get more out of a car with a dodgy setup than others. I think JPM is more capable of driving a tweaked car than say DC. If DC gets his car just right then he can be very hard to beat. He has shown this in the past. A driver like JPM or MS can work around some of the shortcomings of the car and go on to perform well.

I'll never forget MS being passed by Hill after the Bennetton got stuck in 5th gear only to change his line and go back around Hill later in the race. That is how a racer can expand his opportunity.

That does not mean that DC is not a racer, it means that his window of opportunity is smaller than others. The best find a way to maximize their window of opportunity. I think that is what sets racers like Moss, Schumacher, Clark, Villeneuve (father and son), Senna and others apart from racers like Coulthard, D. Hill, Barrichello, Alesi, and Irvine. All are very good, but some have just a little more than others and it shows when things do not go 100% correct and they still find a way to compete.
Never forget #99
Old 26 Jun 2003, 04:57 (Ref:643356)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I hear the word "racer" I think of someone who does it because they love it and they love the speed and nailing EVERY corner. Zanardi as much as I didn't like him before his horible crash was a racer at heart. Even when it was to his detriment. Villeneuve senior another perfect example. Drove like a maniac.

The other definition of it is someone who will never fully hang up their hat either. Mario Andretti being a perfect example, why bother racing in so many series and doing it for so long? Compare this to a guy like MH who gave it up after arguably having much to prove, only being on top because his car was tops and made to look bad by MS, EI, HHF.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 06:27 (Ref:643384)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO the racer is the one who succeds in optimizing the car's performances during the race, mixing all it needs: battle spirit, tactics, consistency, and, when necessary, ability to "administrate" the car.
In the long run a good racer get the best results from his car, whatever the level of competitiveness.
Thus I don't agree with the concept many expressed:
racer= fighter.
For example Gilles was a great fighter (probably the best ever) but not an excellent racer, as he was not that consistent.
From this point of view, a driver like Prost proved very good, despite being less fast than Senna.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 06:37 (Ref:643390)   #8
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me, the definition of racer is a driver who gets thrown a challange and attacks it. Some people may be quicker drivers, but he'll make that faster driver work to overtake him, and even if he's underpowered and overweight try and stick with him and get back ahead. He'll try and learn to overcome his shortfalls in technique when he's not on the track. Acknowledges when he simply wasn't good enough, and works with whoever it takes to make his car faster.

Doesn't have to be good at it, just has to try and never say die.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 07:24 (Ref:643409)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me, whoever possesses a Super License are real races
Old 26 Jun 2003, 07:26 (Ref:643410)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
When I hear the word "racer" I think of someone who does it because they love it
me too.

All the other qualities are required to be successful, but 'racer' is just one of them. A pure one if you like. The one that means it is the taking part that counts.

A real racer may possess the other qualities and try hard to acheive them, but that is because being good at them makes the whole thing more enjoyable.

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Jun 2003 at 07:27.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 07:56 (Ref:643420)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
To me, whoever possesses a Super License are real racers
Even Deletraz, Inoue and Montermini??

Last edited by ASCII Man; 26 Jun 2003 at 07:56.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 09:18 (Ref:643485)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They certainly are faster than you, me and the vast majority of the world population....don't they?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 09:59 (Ref:643523)   #13
roxana
Rookie

roxana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a real racer is a fighter, a guy that believes in his power to win and is ready to take risks to achieve victory. and he should be ok as a person too, not trying to make the other racers look bad.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 10:03 (Ref:643526)   #14
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
don't know .. Deletraz could be faster than Schu ,in a 550 Maranello ..

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Jun 2003, 10:03 (Ref:643527)   #15
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Even Deletraz, Inoue and Montermini??

Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:50 (Ref:643699)   #16
billaboy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
Compare this to a guy like MH who gave it up after arguably having much to prove, only being on top because his car was tops and made to look bad by MS, EI, HHF.
I assume your refering to Mika...I really thought he was gonna come back to F1. I know he was really involved in getting Kimi into Mclaren, anyone think he's really planning on a comeback? Take DC's place maybe or is he to old?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:59 (Ref:643704)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

Imagine, a McLaren 1-2 finish and both Fins at the interview table...
Old 26 Jun 2003, 13:03 (Ref:643708)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Real Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
After reading this article I had to ask the same question here. What is the difinition a racer?
Gilles Villeneuve.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 13:53 (Ref:643744)   #19
billaboy
Rookie

Quote:
I dont know if that'd be the funniest thing in the world or the most annoying!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 16:42 (Ref:643883)   #20
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know one guy who is not a racer: Ralf Schumacher. All his GP wins, he has not made a single overtake on them (not included lapping or passing on pits)!

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 26 Jun 2003, 17:50 (Ref:643931)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This is one of the best threads I have read recently. Thanks everyone!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 17:58 (Ref:643938)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Mika and Kimi actually have very different interview styles. Mika is short to the point and often a very dry wit (normally too much for the interviewer to take in). A rubbish question (95% of them are) gets exactly what it deserves.

Kimi is just a kid and it shows (good job he is about the most exciting to watch drive a car!).

However neither of them go out there way to be heard. They don't need to be in the headlines or to say something controversial (Mika certainly would rather say something to the person involved quietly). They just want to race cars - very quickly.

I like people who speak their mind, but only when there is something to say. But that's not the way of the world now is it? We need brash obvious soundbites all the time.

A real racer, likes racing best and talking is way down on his priorities. 'Doing is better than talking' is what they think. However if something important needed to be said then I feel a real racer would say it because his inherent passion would make him say it, but even then he would do this is the right way.

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Jun 2003 at 18:00.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 21:59 (Ref:644155)   #23
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
This is one of the best threads I have read recently. Thanks everyone!