Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 7 Jul 2003, 18:05 (Ref:655051)   #1
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dirty Dan?

Although as a Brit I'm loathe to say it but Dan Wheldon is fast earning a bit of a reputation for driving "HUA" head up a**. His little shimmy at the Indy which took out De Ferran was naughty enough but the way he carved up poor old Giaffone was plain crazy. Was it Dan's fault or was he unaware of Giaffone's prescence on his inside, in which case what was the spotter doing. In the interview following the shunt Dan seemed to lay the blame at Felipe's door which was a bit rich I thought. Shape up Dan cos u know wot goes around etc. Nobody enjoys wheel to wheel stuff more than me but when u start putting half the grid in the ER it's time to re-examine your race tactics I would suggest. Let's hope Giaffone's OK and back pedalling for Nashville. Good race tho, I managed to stay awake from flag to flag which is more than I can say for the F1 procession at Magny Bore. zzzzzzzzzz
Old 7 Jul 2003, 18:28 (Ref:655083)   #2
oily oaf
Racer

Sorry guys it couldn't have been De Ferran tha t Wheldon took out at Indy as he actually won the damn thing. Castroneves?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 19:03 (Ref:655121)   #3
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supposedly he was blocking Hornish right before he crashed at Indy, but he didn't take anyone out. Helio finished 2nd this year at Indy. Dan Wheldon is a good driver but he is becoming a "crashalot" and he needs to be more careful.

On Sunday I think he was trying to follow Kanaan into the turn and didn't really see Felipe there.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 19:18 (Ref:655135)   #4
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a bit of equal blame in the incident. Felipe was heading under the white line when it occurred so there was no room for him to be there and Wheldon shouldn't have come down the track like that; what was his spotter up to?
What amuses me is the BS that the IRL management always manage to spin about incidents like these; it was obviously a serious injury for Giaffone, yet they initially say that he is suffering leg pain and needs further investigation. What needs to be investigated is the ability of the sidepods to absorb the shock of an impact into concrete walls at 200+ mph
Old 7 Jul 2003, 20:13 (Ref:655179)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lets remember that Dan is still a rookie, and has less than 10 starts to his name. I think its a 50/50 racing incident personlly, but Dan wouldnt have done that if he knew he was there. Dan's spotter should have kept him informed.

I am a big fan of Dan, I think he is a very talanted driver. His fourth place in qualifying at Indy speaks for itself, as well as a top ten in only his second race with Panther last year, starting from last. Sure, like all rookies he has made a couple of mistakes. But all the quick ones do to begin with, just look at Tomas Scheckter. Dan is a star of the future, no doubt.

Go Dan!!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 22:03 (Ref:655303)   #6
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It couldn't have been de Castro either, cause he finished 2nd at Indy. I think he was trying to defend from Hornish, but didn't take anyone out at Indy.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 10:55 (Ref:655660)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tanalised, teh IRL management are obsessed with spin. The claim of Iraq having weapons of mass destruction that could be launched within 45 mintues has more truth to it than most IRL publicity pieces.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:17 (Ref:655684)   #8
oily oaf
Racer

My mistake guys I remember the incident now. Yeah he was doing a little blocking number on Hornish,got loose and swapped ends paying a visit to the wall as a result. Sorry about that but I'm not getting any younger u know, have'nt got long for this world etc.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 07:17 (Ref:656542)   #9
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Tanalised, teh IRL management are obsessed with spin. The claim of Iraq having weapons of mass destruction that could be launched within 45 mintues has more truth to it than most IRL publicity pieces.
Boots, I realise this.

Todays piece: Giaffone fractures femur and pelvis, but on the mend....although the injuries rule the 2001 rookie of the year out for the remainder of the season Dr Bock and someone else are pleased with his progress.. blah, blah, blah