Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2003, 18:30 (Ref:691518)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Hungary

This is the first picture I've seen in a while of the "improved" Hungaroring. To me it isn't improved enough. The entry to turn 1 seems very tight to me (more so than before) and I'm not sure what they hope to achieve with the little complex before the last corner? I guess we'll find out if it was all worth it on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
hungary turn 1.jpg  
Old 18 Aug 2003, 19:31 (Ref:691557)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Damon,

1.) Yes, the revised Turn 1 is much tighter than its previous configuration. The concept - quite correct - is that the higher the speed differential (decceleration), the higher the possibility of overtaking. Its is "easier" to overtake approaching a slow turn than a fast one. In today's F-1, where overtaking is almost impossible, a slow turn is welcome to improve the show, as odd as this may sound...

Note that the main straight was extended - so the cars will reach a higher speed at its end. With higher speeds, more aerodynamic tow is generated - this plus the more intense decceleration, will hopefully make this year's Hungarian GP a less sleepy event than what it usually is...

2.) The "new complex before the last corner" - as you referred to it (it actually is a little upstream than that) - follows the same rationale. A straight was lenghtened and its ending corner was tightened.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 18 Aug 2003, 19:41 (Ref:691564)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
. With higher speeds, more aerodynamic tow is generated
This is true, however the teams may be forced to knock off some rear wing as the straight is longer.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 19:55 (Ref:691586)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Turn one is better in some ways, however I reckon the 'new complex' will have the same effect as the new complex at Magny Cours - i.e. no effect.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 21:02 (Ref:691637)   #5
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it's going to be nice.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 21:18 (Ref:691651)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muzza, by tighter I was refering to the actual width of the track. Hungary is narrow at the best of times, but now turn 1 seems to funnel in even more than it used to.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 22:30 (Ref:691728)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Damon,

It is difficult to judge by this picture (the pitlane gives the impression that the main straight is wider than what it actually is, and there is dirt everywhere) but I do hope you are mistaken - I mean, if the extended part is narrower than the straight than the whole change to the track lay-out is useless!

Indeed, as you hinted to, track width is something that circuit designers (calling Mr. Lee Janotta, calling Mr. Mac!) should pay more attention. If there is a single thing that Mr. Tilke does right, that would be the fact that his tracks are wide (as are Sepang and the "new place where the German GP is run" - I refuse to call it Hockenheimring, it does not deserve to bear such a honorable name...).

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 18 Aug 2003, 23:35 (Ref:691764)   #8
jpm
Rookie

jpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

seems to me Tielke did it again.
I can remember several remarkable overtaking maneuvers in turn 1 (for example an Arrows sniffing up a Ferrari in '97 ) and I doubt changing turn 1 will bring much improvement. However on thing is quite obvious, we will get an starting crash due to the modified turn 1 an at least lat 1 to 5 behind the safety car

solong jpm
Old 18 Aug 2003, 23:39 (Ref:691766)   #9
jpm
Rookie

jpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
due to the modified turn 1 an at least lat 1 to 5 behind the safety car
Sorry, sorry must be "and" and "lap" of course
maybe it´s already too late ...
Old 19 Aug 2003, 00:48 (Ref:691789)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it will change the fact that Hungary will be BORING!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 11:29 (Ref:692077)   #11
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They really only gain 1 more passing opportunity.

Turn 1 was always good before, and it was helped by the fact that you could pretty much use as much of the track to the right of the actual track, before the wall kicked in.

The other modification at the end of the lap will help, the old configuration was very difficult to pass at, with the exit kinking back to the right to make the exit even sharper than it should have been, and the straight not being long enough, and also having the corner kinking to the right then to the left anyway.

If they were to make another modification, they should have edited turn 4, and removed the kink to the right, if they were to make it easier to pass. That is the problem with Hungary, most of the corners have a kink in the wrong direction, as though someone designed it to be impossible to pass on.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 14:54 (Ref:692304)   #12
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a friend who raced on the new track already with a 700 hp Porsche Carrera Turbo. This weekend he will be racing in the Porsche Supercup race. According to him, the track is better and on both "new" places passing is much much easier. I trust this guy's István Rácz) judgement on the track, but he also said that the track still sucks :-)).

I did not have the chance to even test on the new circuit, but after the Hungarian GP I will have a small test with a Porsche. I will tell you my opinion.

Cheers,