Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 2 Sep 2003, 13:30 (Ref:705692)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Digital Pics -> PC

any idea how long it takes to transfer say a 2.5Mb pic from a digital SLR to a PC using USB ?

anyone got one which uses firewire which is significantly faster than even USB-2 (as far as i know).
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:54 (Ref:705749)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: Digital Pics -> PC

Quote:
Originally posted by woodyracing
any idea how long it takes to transfer say a 2.5Mb pic from a digital SLR to a PC using USB ?
Don't know about that, but I've just done a quick test. I transferred 27 pictures at 2 megapixels, a total of around 17mB, in less than 5 seconds using USB (not even USB2!) so I don't really think speed is an issue.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:57 (Ref:705752)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It takes me about 5 min to download about 125 mb of pics using usb2
Old 2 Sep 2003, 16:26 (Ref:705800)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll agree with those numbers. I can dump a 128MB card via USB reader in about 7 minutes.
Never forget #99
Old 3 Sep 2003, 10:46 (Ref:706698)   #5
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
think it took me about 15 mins to dump 1gb through USB...next time I'll time more accurately
wont a lot have to do wuth processor as well though...if you have a slow pc it will take longer
Old 3 Sep 2003, 11:14 (Ref:706744)   #6
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
those times sound fine to me. I had concerns because my cheapo USB webcam/digicam takes a while (30 seconds) to download 16Mb and thats on a fast PC.

I notice that the super expensive Canon EOS 1DS uses firewire so that must be the way to go eventually.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 12:45 (Ref:706866)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
If it's a cheapo digital it could be they have saved money by using a slow or badly designed USB interface.

I find it slighty quicker to use seperate USB card reader than to plug the camera in directly. If you are transfering a full card just set it off and go get a cup of coffee.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 12:55 (Ref:706882)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The speed of the PC isn't what makes the download slow, its the buss rate of the card. Some of the older rates are 133 MHz while the latest pentiums have 333 MHz or faster.
Never forget #99
Old 3 Sep 2003, 21:18 (Ref:707499)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hmm. if i stick the card in me laptop it takes a couple of seconds for 2mb (3-4 at a guess). if i use the usb interface it's quite a bit slower but couldn't say by how much.

not much use that, sorry :S