Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Sep 2003, 06:53 (Ref:721497)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing comeback by Alessandro Zanardi

Racing comeback by Alessandro Zanardi
09/16/2003

The Italian will be driving for BMW at the ETCC race in Monza on 19 October
Munich. Alessandro Zanardi will be competing in motorsport again for the first time since he suffered severe injuries as a result of an accident two years ago. The Italian lost both legs when he was competing in a round of the American ChampCar Championship at the Lausitz EuroSpeedway on 15 September 2001. Now, he'll be back in business again for BMW in the FIA European Touring Car Championship (ETCC) on 19 October 2003. In Monza, Zanardi will be the third pilot in the BMW Italy-Spain Team managed by Roberto Ravaglia driving in the final race of the European Championship. He will be piloting a BMW 320i specially adapted to his requirements.

In the race two years ago, Zanardi was in the lead. He pitted 13 laps before the finishing line and then lost control of his car just after the exit. There was a bad crash with another car and the former Formula 1 pilot spent several days on the danger list.

"Two years ago I escaped death by a whisker," commented the 36-year-old from Bologna. "Although the situation was really bad at the time, I set myself the goal of leading a normal life again at some time in the future. Today, I can walk, I swim, I go skiing, and on 19 October I will complete my vision by competing seriously in a race. I should like to thank the entire BMW Team Italy for this fantastic opportunity and for all the energy that has been invested in the engineering that was necessary for me. I also have to thank the company Fadiel for their inestimable cooperation. I believe that sometimes in life it's difficult to regain your courage after a stroke of bad luck. If I manage to keep pace in Monza in October, I shall have reaffirmed my faith in myself: where there's a will, there's a way."

The engineers from Ravaglia Motorsport have converted a BMW 320i for Alex Zanardi. He can accelerate on the steering wheel and the clutch is operated on the gear shift.

Team manager Roberto Ravaglia is totally committed to the project: "When Alex came to us and said he wanted to drive a BMW, we immediately put all systems on go to provide full technical support. We have already seen some exciting performances from the telemetry data. His performance is particularly impressive when you reflect on the obvious difficulties and the lack of training. That motivates the team to prepare the car in the best possible way."

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen is enthusiastic about the project: "It's an honour for us that Alex is able to make his dream come true in a BMW. We are extremely happy to provide him with the support of all our expertise and engineering skills. His project reflects the BMW Motorsport philosophy of always searching for new frontiers. Whatever the result of the race, Alex has already won through as far as I'm concerned."

Alessandro Zanardi will turn out for some promotional laps with the BMW 320i in Monza on 25 September and he will also be available to answer questions from the media on this occasion.

From BMW Motorsport
Old 17 Sep 2003, 07:40 (Ref:721538)   #2
The Bear
Rookie

The Bear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent!
Old 17 Sep 2003, 08:32 (Ref:721577)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
great news - a full-time drive in 2004 perhaps
Old 17 Sep 2003, 09:19 (Ref:721604)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This'll be great. I'm sure Alex will be extremely competitive,and his sheer presence will be a joy. I can hardly find enough nice things to say about him.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 11:12 (Ref:721666)   #5
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic!
Old 17 Sep 2003, 11:31 (Ref:721680)   #6
bestetti26
Rookie

bestetti26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm very happy, he was my favourite dirver since 90's
Old 17 Sep 2003, 12:00 (Ref:721718)   #7
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fantastic, thats hes got back into competitive racing, sure he'll be the crowds favourite.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 13:56 (Ref:721883)   #8
Gt-One
Rookie

Gt-One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the 320 got enough horsepower to do a proper donut?
Old 17 Sep 2003, 14:14 (Ref:721892)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah all this is so cool and watch he actually wins, lol
Old 17 Sep 2003, 14:29 (Ref:721902)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

This is great news for autosport fans.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 15:20 (Ref:721959)   #11
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true champion comes back to Motorsport, hes taken on life and won - now its time to forget about the last 2 years of hell for Zanardi and I welcome him to motorsport!

Someone please sign him for 2004
Old 17 Sep 2003, 16:58 (Ref:722075)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonderful News - just heard it on 5live on the way home from work.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 18:26 (Ref:722173)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think he's one of the few drivers (or sportsmen?) who has no enemies.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 19:16 (Ref:722233)   #14
No. 1
Rookie

No. 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing the accident two years ago and saying "God, I hope he is alive". When I got home and checked the updates I hoped and hoped that he would get through those few days. I never ever thought he would race again. I saw an interview with him and his wife some months after the accident and you could see that they had both been through the most trying of times. They were both very thin, very white and very worn out. I am so happy he is going to race again.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 21:01 (Ref:722369)   #15
No. 1
Rookie

I have found a transcript of the interview. It does not show the pain and the love.
http://www.reportroadrage.co.uk/champcar/interview.htm
Old 17 Sep 2003, 21:26 (Ref:722404)   #16
No. 1
Rookie

Somehow I will get to Monza on 19 October and smile as I wipe away a tear or two.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 05:48 (Ref:722668)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Racing comeback by Alessandro Zanardi

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
I also have to thank the company Fadiel for their inestimable cooperation.
How is this company helping Zanardi? Are they sponsoring his BMW? Or are they providing the engineering for the mechanical mods?

Quote:
Team manager Roberto Ravaglia is totally committed to the project: "When Alex came to us and said he wanted to drive a BMW, we immediately put all systems on go to provide full technical support.
So Alex actually approached BMW to race for them? Why not Alfa Romeo, an Italian team?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 06:14 (Ref:722679)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they weren't willing to take the risk involved???
Old 18 Sep 2003, 07:00 (Ref:722708)   #19
bestetti26
Rookie

bestetti26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe because in F1 he drova a Williams powered by BMW ?????
Old 18 Sep 2003, 07:52 (Ref:722739)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was in F1 with Williams before BMW were on the scene.

I'd hazard a guess he approached BMW because they are always involved in motorsport in one form or another on an international basis.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 08:17 (Ref:722759)   #21
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it woould have been even better if he would have raced a red Alfa .. but hey .. if Zanardi drive a BMW .. it will be the first time in my life that i will suport a BMW driver

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Sep 2003, 09:40 (Ref:722835)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's probably because the BMW is rear-wheel-drive and that's what he's used to
Old 18 Sep 2003, 09:51 (Ref:722842)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Do we really care what kind of car he competes in? The only important thing is that he has been able to come back to do one of the things he loves.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:06 (Ref:723172)   #24
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too right - get him into proper racing, not F1 or champ car processions!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:34 (Ref:723260)   #25
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Good on you Alex.