Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 Oct 2003, 10:18 (Ref:740200)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Win Percy

I understand Winston has been pretty ill recently but rumours are that it was even more serious than I thought. Can anybody shed some light on this please? He's such a great bloke I'd hate to think anything bad has happened.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 14:33 (Ref:741070)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd not heard that.

A great bloke and hopefully all is, or will be, well.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 21:29 (Ref:741339)   #3
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know (second hand info) he has had a back problem which has affected the lower half of his body. Not sure of the exact details but I wish him a speedy recovery.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 23:28 (Ref:741431)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thats sad news, Win Percy ran the local factory Holden Racing Team in Australia for some time, and had been a regular visitor for the endurance races for many seasons

We wish him well....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Oct 2003, 21:25 (Ref:742361)   #5
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I passed on good wishes to him via his partner. At this stage she has no further info due to "problems", so we cannot speculate on his condition for obvious reasons. He is aware of our thoughts and good wishes.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 05:58 (Ref:742579)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Rod. Let's hope he recovers his health quickly.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 08:18 (Ref:742701)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Rod, that cheered me a little. I met him many years a go at a Dinner. A very entertaining man and he seemed more interested in actually talking to me than signing my bit of paper.

I hope we see him better soon.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 09:55 (Ref:742772)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd heard he was in hospital because of cracking some discs in his back or somesuch. Is he back living down Weymouth way these days? Win is one my faveourite TC drivers of all time - hope he gets better soon.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 11:59 (Ref:742881)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Is he back living down Weymouth way these days?
He is.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 22:39 (Ref:745763)   #10
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this is appropriate but I was hunting round the HSV site and found this as part of a news article.
"In a related series of events, Win hurt his back at the British Grand Prix in July, when the seat of the Historic car he was driving collapsed. Doctors advised him to rest to avoid further damage but it appears that Win caused further damage when he was lifting a paving stone while working in his garden.
Recently Win underwent surgery to alleviate the problem and medical experts are hopeful that Win will regain some (all?) movement in the next 18-months to 2 years as the nerve damage repairs itself but for the moment, he has been diagnosed as being paralysed from the chest down."
Very sad news indeed.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 00:08 (Ref:745804)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I knew he had hurt his back but I am shocked to read how seriously by the posts above. Wishing you a speedy recovery Win.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 01:53 (Ref:745836)   #12
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, Win,

If you can read this, be sure that you have many fans this side of the pond here thinking of you, and wishing you a complete recovery.

All the best,

Muzza
Old 10 Oct 2003, 08:26 (Ref:746057)   #13
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally shocked when I came across this.

I've been lucky to have met and raced against Win, well we were on the track at the same time, albeit he was about 3/4 lap down the road.
Absolutely nice guy and a superb driver, one of the best and just hope he recovers.

EPS

www.epsracing.co.uk
Old 10 Oct 2003, 08:48 (Ref:746078)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you know if hes still in Dorchester hospital or is he home now?
Old 10 Oct 2003, 14:22 (Ref:746354)   #15
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get well soon Win!
Old 10 Oct 2003, 15:33 (Ref:746418)   #16
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
wow...i hadnt heard of this...its really bad news....
Old 11 Oct 2003, 11:29 (Ref:747123)   #17
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fear not Win Percy fans.
My step-father has had a similar problem to Win and he has made a good recovery, its just a shame that rehabilitation takes so long. BTW the surgeon who operated on my step father was some chap called Watkins, a professor apparently!
Old 11 Oct 2003, 11:40 (Ref:747131)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very sad news indeed. Although most of Win's BTCC racing was before my time, he stands highly as one of the greats of the championship, and I certainly wish him a full and successful recovery. Paralysis must be a terrible thing to deal with, and I hope he can find some inner strength.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 09:20 (Ref:747995)   #19
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Win was my team leader in BTCC 81 in Walkinshaw Mazdas. A super Gentleman in every respect; every team he drove in will tell you that. Couple of funny things.
Don't ever bother if he says he'll drive you somewhere on the road, where he drives like a pensioner.
Testing too, he was a bit lethargic. But when the chips went down in the car his character changed, he went like the wind. His first race laps were awesome. One of the very best, an all time great racer.
We all wish him a speedy recovery.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:04 (Ref:759379)   #20
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A piece has appeard over at dailysportscar.com that refers to Win being:
"permanently paraplegic, paralysed from the waist down"
this is terrible news
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:35 (Ref:759439)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, all very unfortunate and unexpected news. I don't actually know Win at all, but I've seen him race many times, particularly at Le Mans in both up to date sportscars and classics. I join everyone else in wishing him well.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 10:18 (Ref:760480)   #22
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah I read this terrible news over on Atlas - however Win is determined to get back racing by all accounts. If Clay and Zanardi and Watt can do it theres hope for this unsung hero of british racing.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 21:23 (Ref:761286)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best wishes, Win, hope you make it back. Remember you all the way back to Group C, and hope you make it back behind the wheel somehow.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 00:27 (Ref:761397)   #24
brno86
Rookie

brno86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Win is one of the real gentleman of this world, for me he was at his element on public road circuits & rated the Old Brno as a real drivers track and the only one similar to Bathurst in its elevation and descent. After visting the track this year it only speaks volumes of his ability.Is there an address were we can drop him a line?
Old 24 Oct 2003, 04:22 (Ref:761489)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
brno86. Welcome to the forum. I know Win is aware of our thoughts.