Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:02 (Ref:749635)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MS blames Sato

Wonders never cease. MS thinks Sato was to blame for him running into the back of the BAR. In his words Sato shut the door on him. He thinks Sato left the lane open for him to get through. For some reason it seems, he feels people should move out of his way.

MS drove what would amount to one of the worse races in his career. He could not even get by the slooow Toyota. Instead he decided to play it safe (after he caused a near pile up). I suppose that was DaMattas fault too.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:06 (Ref:749642)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Is there a contest at the moment as to which driver (Michael or JV) can have the most bashing threads?

I would'nt agree it was his worst race (far from it), and I dont think he could'nt get past the Toyota, the risk was high with a nil return.

I will agree however than there is no way it was Sato's fault. MS made (and I'm being generous) an ambtious move, and paid the price.

Racing incident, nothing else.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:08 (Ref:749643)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This surprises me because I am sure I read Micheal does NOT blame Sato.

Sato did shut the door, but he was allowed to.

Looking at Michaels quote in that article I think you could say Sato took the normal line and didn't defend because Michael was so far back.

I suspect this has come our of some journalist desperate for something to say, although the Michael quote seems fairly straight.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:09 (Ref:749647)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They looked pretty matey in Parc Ferme after the race...
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:12 (Ref:749649)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's it. the usual off season bashing has started ! What about 1997 ?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:13 (Ref:749650)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Definatly Michaels fault in that one, he was too far back to get through, Taku would have had to have come to a stand still for Michael to come through.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:13 (Ref:749651)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tch! Then he goes further and blames Da Matta for flatspotting his tyres!
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:14 (Ref:749653)   #8
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really don't think there was any way MS was going to get past Sato when he tried, he was nowhere near close enough.
Sato didn't shut the door, he just took his normal line through the corner.
And i really dont think Sato would've given in that easilly in front of his home crowd.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:17 (Ref:749657)   #9
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw and heard MS SAY on TV that he had made the day difficult for himself, especially with his move on TS. doesn't sound like he blames him?!
I think MS assumed TS was moving out of his way because he was taking a very late turn in, which he was entitled to do. I guess history has shown MS that most, especially rookie(ish) drivers WILL move over so he made that assumption. To TS's credit he didn't and to MS's credit he didn't whinge about it.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:21 (Ref:749663)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The question should be....why should he keep the door open in the first place?

Taku and Da Matta drove brilliantly under alot of pressure from Michael yesterday and they should be applauded for it.

Makes a nice change from 1998 when Michael had to start from the back at Suzuka and everyone was litrally jumping off the track to get out of his way......until he came up to the back of Damon that is
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:22 (Ref:749666)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Maybe I should have thought about it more before I posted this. I did not really want to bash MS, its just that I found it strange he would blame TS. Like Adam said it could just be the journalist attempting to spice things up. Oh well its too late now.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:30 (Ref:749678)   #12
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mick drove like someone who was nervous as hell to be honest. His situation coming into the race was such that he had everything to lose. The move on Sato and subsequent attempt on Da Matta seem to support that. Having said that, he got out of jail well and seemed to wait for the race to come back to him rather than go head first into a passing spree. Maybe Ross Brawn was giving him some soothing words on the radio, trying to calm him a bit.

The highlight of the race for me was Ralf. What a legend.
His brother is going to be the first driver to score a sixth world championship, and beat Juan Manuel Fangio's record and what does he do - throw it up the inside, then almost drive Mick off the road at the chicane (although Mick made himself difficult to avoid).

Ralf has gone up in my estimation.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:31 (Ref:749681)   #13
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: MS blames Sato

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Wonders never cease. MS drove what would amount to one of the worse races in his career.
Are you sure? What did he gain by driving his worse race of his career? Only number 6. Come on, no more meat on those bones is there.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:40 (Ref:749688)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bah, nowhere did Schumacher say or blamed Sato in anyway. Other than the title that F1racing put on top of the story.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:47 (Ref:749695)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Atlas F1 is more reliable and yes, it said that Schumi blamed Sato. It was only a mild blame, not a Montoya type one

But yeah, whether he's right or wrong, it was his mistake. He should know by now that at the Suzuka chicane "two don't fit if one doesn't want"
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:29 (Ref:749738)   #16
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
* Yawn yawn yawn *

Paraphrasing: "I thought Sato had left the door open for me so I went for it, but he had other ideas."

Don't really see any blame there. You Schumi bashers really are scraping the barrel aren't you. I suppose he should get a life ban for defending his position against ralf too.

Maybe you should all spend the winter following some local indoor karting series and remind yourselves that the essence of motorsport from grass roots to Formula 1 is overtaking, and however much you cry foul it's perfectly legal for the driver(s) you hate to attempt to overtake the driver(s) you love.

Someone close the thread - I'm bored of this pathetic nonsense, and I've said my bit now...
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:35 (Ref:749746)   #17
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you're right, Garcon,
it would be so easy to just say:
"Ok, we hate MS and can't stand that he won, thus we'll search for any argument not to acknowledge his victory!"
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:58 (Ref:749779)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
* Yawn yawn yawn *
Someone close the thread - I'm bored of this pathetic nonsense, and I've said my bit now...
Here is an easier solution just dont come back to the thread. Simple enough. (I guess the wink makes it not as bad so I will do it too)

The reason I said he drove what may be his worst race is because he looked shabby all race. I have seen him spin from boredom but never seen him maks so many rookie errors. Yes, in the end it came together but even he was not satisfied with his performance. He wanted to win the title with at least a good race.

As for overtaking, I think we are getting overboard. I am not bashing MS and I am not saying he should not overtake. However, imagin the roles were reversed. Imagine if Sato had hit MS. We would have been calling for a lynching.

Last edited by neilap; 13 Oct 2003 at 16:00.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 16:06 (Ref:749793)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To be fair to neilap the title of the story is all that has been discussed here. And neilap's subsequent posts confirm that this is no intentional bash.

I feel there is no reason to start bleating that "if this had been another driver" or similar bashes to retaliate against the first bash. Or say only a so and so fan would say that. Just argue that Michael doesn't actually think that, which most have done.

Also I think it is fair (if that is your opinion) to say Michael didn't have one of his best races in Suzuka without distracting from his 6 titles. He did what was needed, but it was a bit messy! Still it was what was needed.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 16:17 (Ref:749804)   #20
James Elder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northenden
James Elder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think this is particularly Schuey having a go at Sato, it just seems the way it was said has allowed it to get a bit twisted. He just didn't expect Sato to do what he did.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 16:28 (Ref:749822)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, media twists words, now that's flash news...

PS: Belated welcome to 1010ths by the way.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 16:40 (Ref:749839)   #22
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now if you'd put it like that at first, Neil...

OK, I relent. I guess I've just read too many really desperate Schumi bashing posts lately...

Michael himself said it hadn't exactly been his best race - despite the fact he'd done enough he was obviously disappointed not to finish with a flourish.

Of course the media will attempt to add their own spin on any and every quote they can, and of course the fans will continue to lap it up... anything to back up their own twisted idea that Michael's nothing more than an arrogant cheat .
Old 13 Oct 2003, 16:42 (Ref:749843)   #23
johanv
Rookie

johanv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all. MS said on German RTL in regards to the Sato inncident that he (ms) was "stupid". ("Dummigheit von mir" or something like that).
Old 13 Oct 2003, 16:45 (Ref:749845)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Headline: "Schumacher finally admits it!"
Old 13 Oct 2003, 16:46 (Ref:749848)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Welcome. johanv.

BTW your not helping you know