Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Nov 2003, 04:39 (Ref:787869)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Atlantics Schedule

Planning a race weekend or two next year? Wondering if the Atlantics are going to be there?

Their schedule totally coincides with ChampCars. This is due to the loss of Trois Rivieres (sp?).

April 18 - Long Beach
May 16 - Las Vegas
May 23 - Monterrey Mexico
June 5 - Milwaukee
June 20 - Portland (*Subject to final commercial terms)
July 3 - Cleveland
July 11 - Toronto
July 25 - Vancouver
August 8 - Road America
August 15 - Denver
August 29 - Montreal
Sept. 12 - Laguna Seca

They're not gonna be in St. Petes, but they are scheduled at every ChampCar event from LBeach to Laguna.

The series is also exploring the possibility of contesting two races per weekend at some venues.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 07:42 (Ref:787921)   #2
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Atlantics back in Vancouver! Very cool...
Old 19 Nov 2003, 08:06 (Ref:787930)   #3
ricky-o
Rookie

ricky-o should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have the calender, how about any news on drivers? Lynx have signed their driver after Valiante's departure to Cart. When's the official testing startin the new year? or before christmas?
Old 20 Nov 2003, 01:26 (Ref:788933)   #4
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I heard that DSPT was closing their shop. They can’t afford to run next year. That’s too bad.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 20:40 (Ref:789955)   #5
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, its true, very unfortunate indeed. They were one of the top teams in Atlantics just a few years, and they still were in my opinion even though Joey Hand didn't have the season that I expected.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 21:52 (Ref:790005)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tailwin and jjspierx,

You are both correct - and I am equally disappointed. DSPT will not be racing in 2004.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 22:43 (Ref:790045)   #7
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Atlantics are looking at doing double headers the same as the Barber Dodge Pro Series. Much better to do as its better value for money for the teams, drivers and spectators.

Hopefully as long as BDPS support CART again and I can raise the funding I'll be out in the BDPS and will now get to watch the Atlantics as well.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 04:24 (Ref:790203)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
how many atlantic cars do we predict will be on the grid in 2004 - 15 perhaps

Last edited by gomick; 21 Nov 2003 at 04:25.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 05:41 (Ref:790215)   #9
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
15 is probably reasonable. It looks like Allmendinger and Valiante have a good shot at moving up. Diaz may run with Fernandez. Fogarty might run next to Jourdain at Rahal. I don’t know if RuSPORT will remain in Atlantics. If not, maybe Justus could take the Lynx seat that Valiante would vacate. Hopefully Hand will find a seat since DSTP is closing shop. There have bound to be some talented drivers coming up from Barber Dodge.

I'm looking forward to these guys getting back on the track at St. Pete. too.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 16:43 (Ref:790831)   #10
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It Leo Maia the BDPS champ moving up to Atlantics? He did really well in his RuSport test and I hear he is also testing for another team soon so hopefully he is going to move up to Atlantics like AJ did this year.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 17:17 (Ref:790858)   #11
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure where or why but I am under the impression that BDPS is being replaced by Formula BMW as part of the C^RT ladder system. Have I been smoking again?
Old 21 Nov 2003, 18:13 (Ref:790901)   #12
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, I heard rumor of that as well actually, but I never really payed too much attention to it. I believe there might be a few Formula BMW races coinciding with CART events. The Formula BMW's have only like 130hp, they are like a Forumula Dodge, not anywhere near the HP of Barber Dodge Pro cars.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 20:15 (Ref:791003)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it, but I have a hard time seeing where 15 Atlantic cars are going to come from... Sad as it is though, if anyone's interested in getting involved - just about all of the assets of the DSPT (sounds like something from TI..lol) team are available online for purchase.

The series is in need of a major overhaul... then there's the Formula BMW...I already know of a few drivers that have expressed interest, but I haven't seen any evidence of it actually happening yet.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Nov 2003, 15:44 (Ref:791495)   #14
Martin
Rookie

Martin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART made a big mistake in keeping Atlantics instead of IndyLights, because that series had cars much closer to CART, and seemeds to produce more leading drivers. I guess Atlantics might be falling victim to the sheer lack of popularity of US drivers in CART and IRL, and the impressive performances of virtually every F3000 graduate in CART, even guys like Haberfeld who never really shone at that level.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 16:00 (Ref:791502)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not convinced that Lights were more similar to ChampCars, as they were flat-bottomed.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 16:17 (Ref:791511)   #16
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
CART made a big mistake in keeping Atlantics instead of IndyLights, because that series had cars much closer to CART, and seemeds to produce more leading drivers.
Hi Martin,

I would like to welcome you to 10TENTHS! While I agree with you that Formula Atlantic or Toyota Atlantic cars should be more difficult to drive, you can't say that IndyLights have produced more leading drivers! Look at this impressive list of drivers...http://www.deepthrottle.com/History/fa_champs.shtml

To be fair it looks like the IndyLights series has produced some good drivers too! http://www.fsdb.net/indylights/drive...ons-roster.htm

Last edited by Dov; 22 Nov 2003 at 16:27.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 16:30 (Ref:791518)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Btw, Bobby Rahal also came through the Atlantic series....
Old 22 Nov 2003, 16:42 (Ref:791521)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
CART made a big mistake in keeping Atlantics instead of IndyLights, because that series had cars much closer to CART...
I have to disagree...at least that they should have gotten rid of Atlantic - which has thrived for many years (more than Lites) without being associated with CART. Maybe that was the problem - perhaps they should have cosied up to Indy Lites, and left Atlantic on it's own.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Nov 2003, 16:54 (Ref:791525)   #19
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
http://www.casselracing.com/atl_history.cfm

HISTORY

The Atlantic formula has existed in one form or another since 1966. It was born as Formula B and was originally powered by a 1600 cc two-valve per cylinder, twin-cam Lotus Ford engine. In 1974, a four-valve per cylinder engine, the Cosworth-Ford BDA, supplanted the Lotus-Ford, and the series was renamed Atlantic. An engine change came again in 1989 when industrial giant Toyota replaced the Cosworth with its 4A-GE 1.6 liter, 16-valve, twin-cam, four-cylinder engine.

For more than 26 years, the Atlantic formula has provided a driving experience which many experts believe is the best all-around training for racers with Champ car or Formula One aspirations. Like their bigger, more powerful brothers, Atlantic cars are open-wheel, open-cockpit, have a single seat, front and rear wings, an aluminum monocoque chassis, downforce generating sidepods, and Yokohoma spec radial tires.

In fact, the Atlantic racecar looks very much like a scaled-down Champ car and has similar acceleration, braking and handling characteristics. As a result, many of the drivers that “cut their teeth” in the Atlantic have gone on to star in ultra-high speed headlining series like the FedEx Championship Series. “Graduates” of the Atlantic class include Gilles Villeneuve, 1982 Formula One World Champion Keke Rosberg and Indy winners Bobby Rahal and Danny Sullivan as well as 1991 IndyCar Champion Michael Andretti, IndyCar stars Jimmy Vasser, Paul Tracy, 1995 PPG IndyCar Champion Jacques Villeneuve and 1995, 1996, and 1997 Atlantic champions, Richie Hearn, Patrick Carpentier and Alex Barron, along with Alexandre Tagliani and Memo Gidley.

Atlantic races have always been very competitive and exciting to watch because crews are limited in the number of modifications they can make to engines, bodywork, and chassis. Thus, parity is established and the burden of competition is placed squarely on the shoulders of the driver. Races are generally 60 to 100 miles in length.

Last edited by Dov; 22 Nov 2003 at 16:58.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 21:21 (Ref:791647)   #20
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
I also disagree that Indy Lights were more like Champ cars than Atlantics. The only thing Indy Lights had over Atlantics was HP. Atlantics generate a lot more downforce ane are lighter weight. Even with the superior HP of the Indy Lights cars, I think an Atlantic car would still show similar lap times.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 21:36 (Ref:791652)   #21
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Ok, I just did a little research. The last dry Portland race in Indy Lights was 99 in which Oriol Servia took the Pole with a 1:06.112. This years pole sitter(in off and on rain during the session I might add(I was there)) Ryan Dalziel took the pole in Atlantics with a 1:06.204. Pretty close comparison, considering that an Atlantic car has about 240HP, vs 425HP of a V6 Indy Lights motor.