Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Jan 2004, 00:19 (Ref:826090)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wallace, Stewart and Earnhardt Jr. @ Daytona

If this has been covered already sorry for the repeat. I checked around and didn't see it on here. Here's the link.

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...d=26&nid=83147

This definitely makes the grade in marketing 101. Nice PR move for the Grand Am folks.

Last edited by jhansen; 3 Jan 2004 at 00:20.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 00:51 (Ref:826112)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Yea, we heard originally that Dale Jr. was going to do Daytona with Friesinger in a Porsche GT3, but I think that was before the Porsche restrictions, and also you have to think there was a lot of 'something' going on in back rooms.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 00:53 (Ref:826115)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's probably putting it mildly, but I concur.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 01:03 (Ref:826122)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Jimmie Johnson now signed up to drive in a DP also.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 01:08 (Ref:826126)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by skycafe
Yea, we heard originally that Dale Jr. was going to do Daytona with Friesinger in a Porsche GT3, but I think that was before the Porsche restrictions, and also you have to think there was a lot of 'something' going on in back rooms.
As far as restrictions go, Freisinger already knew about the fuel cells - this rumour surfaced in September.

What they did not know was that Grand Am were not going to allow the new 911GT3 RSR.

And, yes, there was a blanket offer to teams from ISC - there would be unnamed "NASCAR drivers" available.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Jan 2004, 01:23 (Ref:826131)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
I was wondering about timing on fuel cell. I didn't recall. It would have been rather humorous if Dale Jr. won Daytona 24 Hour in a Porsche!

Grand Am could really take off if they could get the NASCAR stars in there type of guest appearances. The NASCAR schedule stops that idea as there are way too many conflicts.

Could you spin some of the Busch races off to run on their own, run the Grand Am's with NASCAR guests on Saturdays at the roval tracks, and have Nextel on Sunday? Big challenges with track configurations and such, but I wonder if that would get them a bigger audiance for Grand Am?
Old 3 Jan 2004, 01:29 (Ref:826134)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Why not pair Grand Am up with the two regular road course races at Sonoma and Watkins Glen? That seems like a no brainer.

And I agree, pulling in NASCAR drivers could really help their attendance. My problem is that better road racing talent could be passed up in the process. On the positive side it does pull in fans that would not ordinarily watch a sportscar race.

My mistake, just saw that Grand Am is at the Glen during the Nextel Cup race.

Last edited by jhansen; 3 Jan 2004 at 01:33.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 02:25 (Ref:826148)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Well certainly, the offer of having a couple of NASCAR drivers available, and some money to put in your pocket is a hard offer for potential DP teams to turn down. Pookfare is hard to turn down.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 03:07 (Ref:826159)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Anybody heard if Mark Martin will show up with any DP teams? He has a heck of a record at Daytona with Roush Mustangs, and he seems like a good fit into a Ford powered DP.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:30 (Ref:826386)   #10
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where is the entry lists?
Are there any "Big Gun" drivers, Brabham, Herbet etc?
Old 3 Jan 2004, 13:13 (Ref:826459)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Arie Luyendyk Jr., Indy Racing League competitor and son of two-time Indy 500 winner Arie Luyendyk, will pilot the No. 9 Ford Multimatic Daytona Prototype for SpeedSource in the upcoming Rolex 24 At Daytona, January 29 - February 1. Luyendyk Jr. will be teamed with veteran endurance racers Mike Borkowski and Paul Mears Jr., with a fourth driver for the No. 9 team being announced in the near future.
http://www.grand-am.com/news/news966.html
Old 3 Jan 2004, 19:20 (Ref:826685)   #12
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the Howard-Boss team went and snagged some Winst..umm..Nextel Cup drivers, and some of the Dyson stable. It would seem smarter to me to put Wallace with Leitzinger and EFR, and keep the Nextel drivers together, if they want to win that is. I think both cars should do well though. Jr. is alot better of a race car driver since 2001, and qualfied in the top ten at Sears Point last year. Stewart should fit right in there. I can't remember the last time I saw Wallace get in the car without getting up the order. Johnson finished 5th, I beleive, at last year's Watkins Glen race. Leitzinger is fast in everything. EFR is the perfect long distance driver, much like Haywood. Brule might be another Forest Barber. While the NASCAR drivers might not be the most versatile out there, they do know how to take care of a car to be fast at the finish. They race 400 and 500 mile races every weekend. At least they got good Nextel drivers, the '02 champion, Jr. 3rd in points last year, and Johnson 2nd. Better hope it stays dry. Where is Robbie Gordon?

Last edited by Chevyguy; 3 Jan 2004 at 19:22.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller