Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:46 (Ref:826398)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can we afford this.............

I have just seen this on e-bay, anyone intereseted http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=2875
Old 3 Jan 2004, 12:03 (Ref:826412)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe we could if everyone paid in as much cash as we have available, not perfect I know but we could all become Share holders that way, I cant see this happening any other way though.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 12:18 (Ref:826423)   #3
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting, was contacted by this gentlemen in late 2002 about this project. He's got to get moving if he wants to meet the deadline (LM 2005)!
Old 3 Jan 2004, 12:36 (Ref:826437)   #4
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was on e.bay a month or so back, so I guess he had no takers then.
If it puts a new car on the grid, then good luck to the chap.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 12:55 (Ref:826451)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Le Mans On A Shoestring"?
Old 3 Jan 2004, 14:54 (Ref:826535)   #6
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this a "castle in the air" project?
Old 3 Jan 2004, 20:25 (Ref:826714)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds a bit like Paulzinho's old man's "Sponsor Club" that I was a member of some years ago. Still haven't got one of those models, Paul......
Old 3 Jan 2004, 20:57 (Ref:826731)   #8
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would rather pool together to buy the 01 spec R8 that champion has tried to sell on Ebay multiple times, it started at 1.8mil us...at least its a viable car.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 21:56 (Ref:826762)   #9
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a look at the link on E-Bay and was intrigued by the line "An Independent Race Project, using a former F1 base near London." This isn't Mr Wilkinshaw trying to recapture some past glory is it ? It's the only F1 base that I can think of. If I got those six magic numbers tonight I might bung some money there way
Old 3 Jan 2004, 22:03 (Ref:826767)   #10
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
makes sense, Tuscan, also can't think of other recent ex-F1 team based in England...
But didn't Mr. Wilkinshaw sell most of the stuff on auction? if i remember right it was where Minardi got the Arrows car...

Oh and hello from this first-time poster in here
Old 3 Jan 2004, 22:41 (Ref:826814)   #11
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Hopefully I'll have some more info on this soon...TWR's former premisis seems likely as there is mention of an on site 1/3 scale wind tunnel...
Old 3 Jan 2004, 22:44 (Ref:826823)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee that'll be the smallest Le Mans Prototype to date.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:09 (Ref:826868)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Noel Edmonds???
Old 4 Jan 2004, 02:10 (Ref:827044)   #14
fia289
Rookie

Canada
fia289 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Arrow working on a lemans prototype a couple of years ago ??
Old 4 Jan 2004, 05:28 (Ref:827133)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Or we could just buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438758374
Old 4 Jan 2004, 08:51 (Ref:827207)   #16
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, maybe I could use this idea to make a couple of million to take to Minardi so my son can drive for them...
Old 4 Jan 2004, 12:40 (Ref:827325)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cadete
makes sense, Tuscan, also can't think of other recent ex-F1 team based in England...
But didn't Mr. Wilkinshaw sell most of the stuff on auction? if i remember right it was where Minardi got the Arrows car...

Oh and hello from this first-time poster in here

Welcome, Cadete!
Old 5 Jan 2004, 09:42 (Ref:828040)   #18
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think there was a better future in the 10/10th campain to buy the TVR Speed 12 about a year ago!

That was only £125,000.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 20:35 (Ref:828730)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1.997 Pounds sterling????

If you spend wisely, a new prototype could be had for a lot cheaper than that...

A LOT cheaper.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Jan 2004, 20:38 (Ref:828732)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But developing your own car...that might run that kind of price range...

In a PM on a related subject, a forum member told me that there are a lot of people in racing who know how to spend too much money needlessly....

This guy sounds like one of them....

But that Champion Audi coming down to $625,000....that's getting better, compared to what they started out asking for it...

Old 5 Jan 2004, 21:16 (Ref:828770)   #21
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although the bid for the Audi says "reserve not met." That means the bidding needs to go up before it sells. The Panoz LMP1 I found is a little cheaper. Not such a bad deal for an asking price of $550,000. Maybe you can chew em down a bit on it. With only one Audi in the ALMS (so far) next year this car would be a podium challenger and perhaps an overall victory winner given proper circumstances.

http://962.com/other_racing_cars/199..._LMP/index.htm
Old 5 Jan 2004, 21:32 (Ref:828792)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
True, jhansen....

But I believe that you can buy a NEW R&S for about the same price, and a used one for less than half that price....

and RollCentre bought the ORECA Dallaras for about $300,000 each...

There are deals to be had out there....

I'd be interested in looking into the Doran/Lista Dallara and the subsequent cost of the 2002 upgrade areo package....

Or a Dome chassis that hasn't been run (there was one witht he 2001 aero package that raced at times in the 2002 ALMS season, wasn't there?) that could also receive an upgrade aero kit from Dome....

Lots of options and lots of possibilities....

we've covered even cheaper, but certainly less high-tech options in the "Shoestring" thread....

But if someone is looking to race, I'll bet if they went back a couple of seasons and looked for cars that are not running now and contacted those teams that ran them, they could get leads on who has them now...

or if the teams still do have them, ask them for a price and dicker with them from there....

The time spent doing that would be worth the money to be saved that could be used for other aspects of the effort....

Old 6 Jan 2004, 21:43 (Ref:829880)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just checked up on this one and so far there are no bids, come on guys I got £20 to throw into the hat anyone what to help me out........
Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:34 (Ref:829945)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Personally, the way I would have done this (instead of the way this guy is going about raising the money for a racing program) is to take the Team Nasamax idea one giant step further....

Make your prototype a "Green Machine" ....or call it that, anyway.... with the "bio-ethanol fuel" or a "hybrid-electric/combustion engine" like the Panoz Q9 a few years ago.....

And make your team a "Not-For-Profit Environmental Research Foundation"

Fund the entire thing through Federal Government "Clean Air Act" research grants, Department of Energy funds, and numerous other funding sources from not only the government, but also from private foundations and coprorations, and you could even tap into University Engineering Departments to get your "aspiring engineers" as your crewmen, etc...

Think of the possibilities of this approach....

You could raise an AUDI-sized budget...mostly with taxpayer $$$ and/or foundation grants....and even do some fundraising with treehugger groups for private doantions....

There are government programs that spend millions on studying cows passing gas for crying out loud....

All I'd be asking for would be a few million to research ways for a race car to go fast without burning as much gas...

or better yet...harnessing the gasses from the cows for my "alternative fuel..."

Makes more sense than trying to sell shares of your prototype effort as part of a documentary film.....

Your race team is out to save the planet Earth from the "evils of humankind"

I digress into sarcasm near the end, bu this plan would work, and it would not be fraud...you would be developing "hybrid-electric performance technology", or "hydrogen-fuel cells", or an "alternative fuel" from cow farts, or whatever and proving that it can be done well...

Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:58 (Ref:829975)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Um...as a conservative I have a problem with the racing on government funds idea. lol But that's a whole other tangent!