Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Jan 2004, 07:22 (Ref:832376)   #1
ascari
Rookie

ascari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is number one?

Hello. I´m visiting your site from Mexico.

I really, really love what I´ve seen about the BTCC. I like to play TOCA in my computer but now I have a question.

Because it´s difficult to know everything about touring series I want to know what is the best touring car series in Europe?

I think BTCC is loosing against DTM but not against ETC.

What can you tell me? Are these series different and I can´t compare them?

Unfortunately it will be another year whithout Autosport Show for me (I went there in 2001)

Thank you and Happy new year.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 11:24 (Ref:832537)   #2
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment the DTM is the leading touring car series in Europe, although some people question its credibility as a true touring car series as the cars are very distant from their road going counterparts (the most common example of which is the fact that Opel don't [roduce any rear wheel drive astras!) The ETCC and BTCC are maybe on a par, the ETCC has more money thrown at it especially from ALfa and BMW but these are the only 2 competitive marks. The BTCC probably involves less money but has many more car makes, most of which are capable of a win if they get it right on the day!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 12:38 (Ref:832588)   #3
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC All the way
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 10 Jan 2004, 01:34 (Ref:833244)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, some people may not consider the DTM to be a genuine touring car series anymore, but the high quantity and quality of sponsors and 3 committed manufacturers definitely make the DTM the premiere European series!!

Ditto, I think the ETCC also beats the BTCC b/c it has more manufacturers involved in it. Yes, Alfa/BMW are the big suppporters. But you still have semi-factory teams from Honda/Seat(??) And again, there the quality and visibility of sponsors in the ETCC is way higher than the BTCC.

If you're talking about variety of cars/manufacturer involvement, I think the Speedvision World Challenge-touring car class can also give the BTCC/ETCC a run for their money! You can check them out at www.speedvisionwc.com
However, the WC suffers from a lack of premiere sponsors.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 16:06 (Ref:833598)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the limited coverage we receievd in Australia of the 2003 BTCC, the racing seemed just as good as it did in the mid-90s Super Touring era.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 18:52 (Ref:833696)   #6
ascari
Rookie

ascari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How far are DTM cars from street cars? and How near are the BTCC cars from street cars?

I consider that 2000 was the best season for the BTCC and that everyone tried to hit it with new series.

Can the difference be the names of drivers? or Are brand names and factories more important?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 19:14 (Ref:833718)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
Ditto, I think the ETCC also beats the BTCC b/c it has more manufacturers involved in it. Yes, Alfa/BMW are the big suppporters. But you still have semi-factory teams from Honda/Seat(??) And again, there the quality and visibility of sponsors in the ETCC is way higher than the BTCC.

Not going to get into a big debate over this but I think you'll find that the factory team numbers in each series are about the same.

I also get the impression from the ETCC that unless you're willing to throw far more money at it than the big spending BMW and Alfa Romeo then you get nowhere. Which is why I reckon Volvo decided to call it a day on that front. Surely this can't be good for the championship as a whole ?

ascari - I couldn't exactly write down here what the differences between a DTM race car and its street car are as I don't know them, but one rule in the DTM is that all cars wheelbases must be the same etc etc. I don't even know whether or not they take a car off the production line to modify it or start building a car from scratch themselves.

Thats where the BTCC is different because all the cars there were actually based on production shells, all cars there are different lengths, widths, shapes, have different wheelbases and thats what the challenge is there.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 23:08 (Ref:839755)   #8
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
From the limited coverage we receievd in Australia of the 2003 BTCC, the racing seemed just as good as it did in the mid-90s Super Touring era.
Some of the racing has indeed been very good, but I don't thikn that the series is back at it's mid-1990s level. There were so many top-quality teams back then. And, I think the depth in driver talent was bigger bakc then. That's no disrespect to the current crop, it just shows how strong the BTCC was back then. And I'm sure it can be again (wish the cars looked a bit meatier though!).