Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 27 Jan 2004, 19:07 (Ref:852690)   #1
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Oulton Park Training

just wondering what time oulton park training starts next saturday...im doing fire 2...for incident and my moms doing incident handling.....i sent off the stuff ages ago but still dont know what time it starts....thanks in advance
Old 27 Jan 2004, 19:33 (Ref:852715)   #2
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had our Training Day forms at the end of last week.

The Incident training sessions begin at 8.45am prompt.

Last edited by KayBee; 27 Jan 2004 at 19:34.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 19:55 (Ref:852741)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
thanks KB...c yall there
Old 28 Jan 2004, 07:46 (Ref:853244)   #4
S_Morrell
Rookie

S_Morrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next saturday is the 31st January. The training is on the 7th of February.
Sounds like you may be a week early, please save me a good seat )
Old 28 Jan 2004, 13:27 (Ref:853589)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ascar.....

The forms you should have received also act as your "Sign-On" sheet and will probably have a number on it!
I am co-ordinating the sign-on on Saturday so if you get stuck or don't receive the forms - just ask one of the sign-on team (I say ONE of the sign-on team......I think there's only me anyway!)
Alternatively, PM me & i'll give you Peter Preston-Hough's email address!

Mark
Old 28 Jan 2004, 13:44 (Ref:853610)   #6
S_Morrell
Rookie

Hi all
While I think about it, I was at a pre-training day meeting last week and looked at the number of attendees. Personally, I’m a little concerned at the relatively low numbers of I/O and Observers who have signed up for the training.

As you know, this year we’ll be asked to cope with the fact that the Black/Yellow flag has been withdrawn from use. Incident officers will be under increased pressure to deal with incidents whilst a live session is proceeding without being able to “bring it under control” (debatable) with the Battenberg.

I know for a fact that there will be senior clerks etc at these training sessions who obviously want to promote discussions between themselves and the folks “on the ground”. Can I please ask as many folks as possible to make the effort to show up? I know some people feel that there is nothing new at these training days but that really isn’t the case.

This will be a great opportunity to get involved in discussions about what will be expected of you and also to feed back your own opinions and experiences. Please do your best to be there. If nothing else, it makes us feel wanted)

See you there
Si
Old 28 Jan 2004, 15:21 (Ref:853744)   #7
ascarracinguk
Veteran

lol...thx simon..i know what i mean hehe
Old 28 Jan 2004, 15:50 (Ref:853791)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those who feel that there is "Nothing Left To Learn" are the ones who probably NEED to attend a training day!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 16:03 (Ref:853815)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ascarracinguk
i know what i mean hehe
So do I! This Saturday is the 31st, so the 7th is next Saturday.......or something like that.......

It's easier to just use the date!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 17:16 (Ref:853942)   #10
Tango n Crash
Rookie

Tango n Crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is this open to?
I only 'do' Oulton 5 or 6 days per year, can I still register?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 17:54 (Ref:853978)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

hell yeh....just sign up....someone on here will tell you the details....i havent got them on hand....its for all marshals...not just oulton ones....
Old 28 Jan 2004, 20:10 (Ref:854179)   #12
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark I most definatley agree with your comments. If you think you do not need training perhaps take up a new hobby.
RS
Old 28 Jan 2004, 21:59 (Ref:854330)   #13
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm somewhat new to all this, but i'll be there next weekend to find out more. I have had loads of problems getting info about the training but it finally turned up today. Just hope it ain't snowing...
Old 29 Jan 2004, 13:51 (Ref:855148)   #14
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by S_Morrell
Hi all
Personally, I’m a little concerned at the relatively low numbers of I/O and Observers who have signed up for the training.

As you know, this year we’ll be asked to cope with the fact that the Black/Yellow flag has been withdrawn from use. Incident officers will be under increased pressure to deal with incidents whilst a live session is proceeding without being able to “bring it under control” (debatable) with the Battenberg.

I know for a fact that there will be senior clerks etc at these training sessions who obviously want to promote discussions between themselves and the folks “on the ground”. Can I please ask as many folks as possible to make the effort to show up? I know some people feel that there is nothing new at these training days but that really isn’t the case.

This will be a great opportunity to get involved in discussions about what will be expected of you and also to feed back your own opinions and experiences. Please do your best to be there. If nothing else, it makes us feel wanted)

See you there
Si
Si - I'll echo your comments here as member of the Committee. Quite a few of us were surprised by the drop off in numbers. I have a feeling that a lot of people think they should only attend training to get upgrade signatures. I think that maybe a different stance needs to be taken to ensure that everyone attends training every two years (example set by Racesafe for the bikes). Then you get to see things differently - different trainers, different rules and regs, etc.

I think we are all probably guilty of this the longer we have been marshalling (hell I've only been doing it 6 years and I feel old!!). Maybe something to think about - I'll mention it at next Committee meeting too - if people think this is the general consensus of opinion.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 15:35 (Ref:855241)   #15
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MarshalGirl
. . . (hell I've only been doing it 6 years and I feel old!!). . .
Must be the effect of marriage. But don't worry, it does not show on the outside.

Jim
Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:42 (Ref:855378)   #16
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I to would be concerned at low numbers, but look at it from my point of view. I only got renewal forms because Simon handed a copy to me, I dont often get trackside, I have not yet had the volenteer form which I will now probably download, and I have not recieved any training day information. Either it is not all being sent out or the postal service is really bad!
What training will be on offer and is it on both Saturday and Sunday or is there a Flag seminar later in the month?
Thanks
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:44 (Ref:855452)   #17
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I have another MSA dig please, go on, let me, pretty please....oh thanks!

The MSA want all marshals to receive the highest standard of training, which is why the trainers have to be MSA approved. All clubs need to get MSA approval for training days by submitting their dates beforehand. The MSA have a list of race marshals. Is it too much hard work to put all training dates on a single sheet of A4, stick it in an envelope, and post to race license holders. I know there is a list of dates already printed out (possibly in last Trackside?).

Or is that far too simple. (And if it comes down to cost, the MSA could try sending out single sheets in small envelopes, rather than the A4 brown envelopes that could hold a decent size book).

And relax...

Al.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 19:28 (Ref:855521)   #18
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
Originally posted by MarshalGirl
I think that maybe a different stance needs to be taken to ensure that everyone attends training every two years (example set by Racesafe for the bikes).
Further to MarshalGirl's (Nadine's) comment about Racesafe you can't marshal for them unless you attend a Training Day every two years. Also the person in charge of membership has been chasing those marshals whose turn it is to attend this year for their forms. She has also been acknowledging those people who have reurned their forms.

PS I do know that there are waivers for BMMC/BRDC marshals but the above applies to Racesafe members.

Old 29 Jan 2004, 19:48 (Ref:855557)   #19
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee
reurned
reTurned!!

Last edited by KayBee; 29 Jan 2004 at 19:52.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 00:05 (Ref:855793)   #20
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i] I think that maybe a different stance needs to be taken to ensure that everyone attends training every two years (example set by Racesafe for the bikes). Then you get to see things differently - different trainers, different rules and regs, etc.
[/B]
I disagree Nadine, there are those amongst us that do in excess of 50 days marshalling each year at different circuits around the country.

Whilst the training is as realistic as is practically possible (and I applaud all those involved) there is no substitute for actual hands on experience in a live situation.

I realise I am going to be critised for my comments but IMHO the best training is obtained by doing as many meetings as possible, visiting other circuits and working with other people as opposed to working with your best mates at your local circuit.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 07:57 (Ref:856040)   #21
S_Morrell
Rookie

Hi Steve(SJC-214),
I'm afraid I must disagree with you here. Just because someone 'does' lots of days around the country does not mean that they are any better or worse at the job than those who only attend a few at their local circuit.
I beleive I have seen some behaviour from 'experienced' I/Os that I would consider at best, poor and at worst, downright dangerous when leading a team of marshals into action.

Attending lots of marshalling days certainly gives a person greater experience to draw upon - but that is not the same as doing the job properly or being up to date.

Going back to my original comment, I fail to see how the number of days marshalling can keep you abreast of the latest developments in the marshalling world. Two that spring to mind for this year are the lack of black/yellow and the hot potato that is the use of HANS in "non-approved" race classes (how many of you out there know about this controversial subject? Not many as it is still being discussed by the MSA and clubs)

I think "Observer" hit the nail on the head - those that feel they don't have anything to learn are exactly the people who should (and need) to attend.

Standing by to be flamed...
Si
Old 30 Jan 2004, 11:26 (Ref:856247)   #22
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
Must be the effect of marriage. But don't worry, it does not show on the outside.

Jim
I'm feeling quite young these days

Ian

P.S. It's the younger generation, they can't keep up
Old 30 Jan 2004, 11:32 (Ref:856249)   #23
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Simon.

Even though I have gone through several 'fire training'scenarios whilst a novice marshal.

it was 3 years until I put a real fire out.

Without the training you forget what to do.

Ian
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:24 (Ref:856563)   #24
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SJC 214 I totally disagree with you. As An ex serviceman and SJA ambulance crew I have dealt and seen alot over my years including 20 years marshalling. I do between 60 - 80 days a year usually. Although I have seen alot I can only put down to the fact that I do alot of training to keep my skills up to date and also whats going on which helps me on how to react and act.. How do you know you are doing something right if you have no training on it or retraining.
Training is the time to get hands on with situations and equipment and new rules and sometimes make mistakes without causing any damage. Even though I help out with fire training every year, every couple of years I go and do basic marshalling training( I am graded as an Observer) To kepp me ready to deal with anything. I also do my Obs training as well. Medical wise I train about 1 week a month on various things and revise old bits and practise my basics with and without equipment.
Do you train for your job?.
If you think you require no training and you know it all please come and spend a day on the bank with me as I would love to see how you do things.
If after reading all the comments you still feel you require no training for marshalling then please take up a new hobby before you hurt someone or get yourself hurt.
If you do, you will still probably have to do some sort of regular training.
RS
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:17 (Ref:856633)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Rich, don't sit on the fence, say what you REALLY mean!!