Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Feb 2004, 13:48 (Ref:882795)   #1
zDK
Rookie

zDK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Antipodean F1 Drivers

Hello,

I'm a 29yr Dutch Kiwi traveller whose been a avid F1 fan since 1991 (Michael Schumacher fan, previously Nelson Piquet prior and hoping to see some Dutch / Kiwi drivers soon!).

Was wondering what people thought of the chances of new antipodean (that's New Zealand, Australian or South African) F1 drivers / champion appearing?

I mean Mark Webber certainly looks the biz but unless he leaves Jaguar he certainly isn't going to become big is he? So perhaps to Williams or Renault in 2005?

But are there any others? Scott Dixon is looking fantastic in the USA (IRL) but can he come over to F1? Perhaps replace Panis for 2005? Can he succeed?

What about the South Africans? Thomas Schekter perhaps had a chance but... van Der Merle?

And being half Dutch I am sad to see Jos not in a drive, is another F1 driver up and coming? (besides Albers who does so well in DTM, but F1? Don't think so)

Well I hope to see some discussion!

Talk soon,
zDK

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Feb 2004 at 14:09.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 14:11 (Ref:882821)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to ten-tenths

Well Mark is doing the business from Australia. The favourite name to mention for NZ is Dixon. I am unsure of the most likely SA though...
Old 23 Feb 2004, 14:16 (Ref:882822)   #3
zDK
Rookie

Time

How come it has taken so long though (and still not there) for any Antipodeans to come back into the forefront of F! since the successes of the 1960's & 1970's?

And can Mark really succeed in a Jaguar that doesn't sound up to scratch?
Old 23 Feb 2004, 15:01 (Ref:882846)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Each driving school has its highs and lows: for the Aussies this is certainly a good moment, with many a good driver doing well at different levels, firstly F3.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 15:11 (Ref:882852)   #5
zDK
Rookie

Sponsors - does the matter of not having many sponsors (Australia / NZ / Holland (exception Verstappen!)) many hinder these drivers going further.

All 3 nations mentioned have many succesful drivers in the lower categories (up to and including F3) but seem to struggle to go up higher. Is a lcak of national sponsorship perhaps hindering this?

Last edited by Super Tourer; 23 Feb 2004 at 15:17.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 18:28 (Ref:883051)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Been nearly 30 years since the last genuine Kiwi was in F1,maybe your grandchildren will see the next one.If Dixon doesn't do F1 next year I don't think he's ever going to get there.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 19:14 (Ref:883097)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Time

Quote:
Originally posted by zDK
How come it has taken so long though (and still not there) for any Antipodeans to come back into the forefront of F! since the successes of the 1960's & 1970's?

Talent! Forgive me, but David brabham didn't have the talent to be at the front where as Webber has (as we will most likely see once he goes to Williams in 05 )
Old 23 Feb 2004, 19:57 (Ref:883170)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Antipodean, very cool word.

But, that being said, you've really got nothing to complain about, with Dixon being the IRL champ, and Schekter a serious threat for that same title, and Webber is a real star in F1, no matter what he drives. There is alot of talk about Dixon going to F1 also.

You should try being an American open wheel fan, than you'd have a real reason to complain!

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:37 (Ref:883682)   #9
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
How many Aussies have actually driven in F1?,I can think of 7 Kiwis,and I can think of 7 Aussies,are there more?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:53 (Ref:883696)   #10
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Jody Scheckter's sons? Aren't they South African?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:05 (Ref:883757)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They certainly are, and Tomas is doing okay in the IRL - although he was compeltely outperformed by Dixon last year. I don't expect him to get another chance.

The lack of drivers from outside Europe and South America is largely due to sponsorship issues. SImply coming over to Europe to get noticed is expensive, and finding a budget for F3000 when local sponsors won't get to see you racing in their territory is not easy. A lot of drivers simply disappear from the radar as they struggle to learn Euroepan tracks/lifestyle/weather etc.

That said, van der Merwe does apper to have the right stuff, and Dixon might do too. Webber should get a better drive than Jagaur and start winning within a few years.

As for the Dutch guys, neither Albers nor Tom Coronel really look good enough, but there are others like Robert Doornbos (or is he Belgian?) at a junior level who might make it through.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 08:20 (Ref:884921)   #12
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Briscoe's still driving for Toyota, so at some stage even he may get a slot on the grid.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 16:17 (Ref:885312)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'd expect Briscoe to partner da Matta at Toyota in 2005.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 16:26 (Ref:885321)   #14
zDK
Rookie

watch out for Dixon! Toyota or Williams in '05 if he has a good start to IRL season
Old 26 Feb 2004, 01:29 (Ref:885755)   #15
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its interesting to watch the Formula Holden Catagory in Australia struggling when the likes of Webber and Dixon came through it !!

-jason
Old 26 Feb 2004, 07:46 (Ref:885893)   #16
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
You might not have long to wait now,this story has ben in all the papers here today:

11.45am
New Zealand's hottest motor racer Scott Dixon is being tipped to sign with a leading Formula One team for next year.

His mother Glenys Dixon said in Auckland yesterday talks were progressing so well it was "looking pretty good" that Dixon would have a deal within the next two months.

"It's up to the team to make the announcement but there might be a few bits and pieces coming out in the near future," Mrs Dixon told the Dominion Post.

She declined to name the team but said it was one of the stronger ones, and it had resulted from talks the United States-based Dixon had in Europe last year.

"The team has kept in touch, and Scott has been pleased with the progress made."

Dixon, 23, visited leading teams Ferrari, Williams and McLaren last year as well as Toyota, whose cars he drove in winning last year's Indy Racing League (IRL) title.

Williams or McLaren might be the team courting him.

Mrs Dixon declined to say whether his introduction to Formula One would be as a test driver or whether he would start racing immediately.

So whats your guesses for which team it is,my early money would say Williams,but he would look good in red too..
Old 26 Feb 2004, 08:21 (Ref:885918)   #17
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd be suprised if any team would hire a driver who's been driving in circles (oval).
Old 26 Feb 2004, 08:47 (Ref:885937)   #18
zDK
Rookie

Go Dixon!!!

Can't be McLaren (Kimi & Montoya)
Unlikely Toyota? (Da Matta and either Panis / Ralf or DC)
So Williams 1-2 seats open. Webber and Dixon?

Shame Greg Murphy (NZ) never got a fair chance in single seaters. He's good in the tin tops but was always better in singles. But not enough sponsorship...

Sponsorship's always been a big issue for the Antipodeans.

[EDIT]Please read your private messages, thanks[/edit]

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Feb 2004 at 08:49.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:41 (Ref:886200)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I've been banging Scott's drum for a while now. See the Toyota thread!

It's great news to read the newspaper story above.

Toyota are keeping a close eye on him that's for sure. He wanted to stay in CART, remember, to continue developing road course skills, but Toyota wanted him in IRL.... they must have dangled something in his eyes to convince him to do a oval only series when he wants to do F1! I suspect he is being lined up for the 2ns seat in '05!

Williams would also be a possibility, considering the relationship between Sir Frank and Chip, whom Scott drives for in States. Zanardi, Montoya and Junquiera all linked the two teams in past and there's a reasonable chance it could happen again especially as there could well be 2 Williams drives free at end of year.

With regards to Anmtipodeans in F1?

Thackwell would've been an F1 front runner if things had gone differently. At one point he was rated as one of the top five drivers in the world and he was still only in F3000!!

D. Brabham was better than credited for but he never had the money or breaks either. Courtney and Briscoe have talent but i think that Dixon will get the nod over them for an F1 drive
Old 26 Feb 2004, 16:43 (Ref:886440)   #20
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only "source" for that most recent Dixon rumour is his own mother and I'm not sure how clued in she is to the F1 paddock And apparently:
Quote:
Mrs Dixon declined to say whether his introduction to Formula One would be as a test driver or whether he would start racing immediately.
I've never heard any rumour about Scott moving over from anyone other than people associated with Scott themselves (his manager, his mother, etc). Never from F1 circles or even that mysterious "a source within team X/Y/Z".

I think there are too many other, equally (or more) talented drivers available to F1 teams for them to take a risk on Dixon. The only top 3 drive available is with Williams, so think about that: Webber, Button or Dixon isn't much of a choice. He's successful in IRL, I think he should stay there or move back to CART if he's interested.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 17:37 (Ref:886482)   #21
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
The only "source" for that most recent Dixon rumour is his own mother
Must be true then,Mothers never tell untruths

Also Williams and McLaren have been chasing him for ages,this guy is good.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 21:31 (Ref:886742)   #22
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My "source" says he has actually signed, but isn't allowed to announce it yet.
But he was wrong last time (about Scott not going to IRL), so we'll see..........
Old 26 Feb 2004, 22:12 (Ref:886777)   #23
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(I thought the Antipodes consisted only of Australia and NZ). Anyway, part of the problem for SA has been the pre-democracy sanctions and the pre- and post-democracy fall of the rand. But it's improved considerably recently so van der Merwe may have arrived at just the right time.

Ganassi says he ranks Dixon with any of his previous champions. If he means it he must be pretty damn good.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 22:47 (Ref:886803)   #24
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no way Dixon was anywhere near as impressive in CART as Montoya was when he drove for Chip, so I'd take that comment with a grain of salt. Has Scott ever sat in an F1 car? Doesn't seem likely he'd be signed for any kind of contract without taking that first step
Old 26 Feb 2004, 22:51 (Ref:886805)   #25
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has tested for several teams, including McLaren in 03.