Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Apr 2004, 19:13 (Ref:950311)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new bmw m3 in gt class?

to take a break from all of this lemans madness, there have been interesting discussions on the alms fan forums about the introduction of a v8 BMW M3 in the 2005 model year and whether this will mark the return of the M3 to major competition in 2005 or 2006.

the first obvious application of the new M3 would be in the alms with the PTG team but there are questions of tom milner's lingering dissapointment with the ALMS. would BMW consider making a factory race ready M3 in the same fashion as Porsche makes the 911-RSR series of vehicles? and would this car be eligible to race in the FIA GT series? maybe schnitzer in the FIA GT?
Old 24 Apr 2004, 19:45 (Ref:950320)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't think BMW will enter factory cars in FIA GT, they concentrate on ETCC.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 19:56 (Ref:950326)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh God.............

I am definitely not going to comment on this......

Dreams and nightmares, boys and girls.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 24 Apr 2004 at 19:59.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 19:58 (Ref:950329)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
I don't think BMW will enter factory cars in FIA GT, they concentrate on ETCC.

Absolutely right. Just where they should concentrate.

Damn, sod it, bugger..... I just commented......
Old 24 Apr 2004, 20:44 (Ref:950374)   #5
tblincoe
Veteran

although i agree with your points, from a marketing standpoint i would think BMW would want to take the 911 head-on as a natural competitor to a V8 3 series would be the 911, although i doubt BMW will mass produce a GT class M3, i do think we might see this car make a come back in the ALMS
Old 24 Apr 2004, 21:19 (Ref:950412)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by tblincoe
.....although i doubt BMW will mass produce a GT class M3

Phew, I've stopped hyperventilating now.....
Old 24 Apr 2004, 21:52 (Ref:950426)   #7
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think and hope PTG will stay where they are. In the Rolex series taking on the Trofeo, GT3RS, Acura NSX, C5's, GTO(soon), Modena etc...
Old 24 Apr 2004, 22:00 (Ref:950434)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pat, I doubt that a V8 M3 would be legal in GA, considering
1) the whole reason for upgrading the engine is to be competitive with the RSR
2) the RSR isn't legal in GAGT and
3) next year there will be no GT in GA anyway, as the GTs will be pushed back into SGS.

It seems to me that the RSR is the only reason for BMW making an M3-V8. I don't see how they won't be in the ALMS next year.

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Apr 2004, 22:05 (Ref:950437)   #9
tblincoe
Veteran

that was my thinking paul, i totally agree
Old 24 Apr 2004, 22:18 (Ref:950442)   #10
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
I havn't heard that PTG has any plans on running a V-8 M3(or M4). I expect them to stay with the I6 in the GA or SWC series.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 22:26 (Ref:950443)   #11
tblincoe
Veteran

well they wouldnt have announced anything yet, and they wont be able to race in GA after this year as the GT class is being axed next year
Old 24 Apr 2004, 22:42 (Ref:950451)   #12
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
The GT class isn't being axed. Just merged with the SGS class.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 23:31 (Ref:950481)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Merged as in slowed down? And you expect BMW to replace their currently dominant I6 with an even more powerful V8?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Apr 2004, 00:58 (Ref:950530)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am just sad that the BMWs wont be coming to the Bathurst 24hr now that the promoter has pulled out of running it
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Apr 2004, 06:35 (Ref:950628)   #15
dscwall
Rookie

dscwall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm led to believe courtesy of DSC that the factory M3s will appear at the Spa 24 Hour race, which is a round of the FIA GT Championship.

They have entered in the National GT class.

Old 25 Apr 2004, 11:53 (Ref:950830)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by dscwall
I'm led to believe courtesy of DSC that the factory M3s will appear at the Spa 24 Hour race, which is a round of the FIA GT Championship.

They have entered in the National GT class.

Correct, they enter 2 factory Schitzer BMW's.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 16:01 (Ref:951167)   #17
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick B
I havn't heard that PTG has any plans on running a V-8 M3(or M4). I expect them to stay with the I6 in the GA or SWC series.
Don't expect Milner to go SWC anytime soon. Maybe you meant he will use one of the world challenge cars(if he hasn't sold all of them already) in the new watered-down GT class.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 20:26 (Ref:951398)   #18
therealdeal
Rookie

United States
Miami, FL
therealdeal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mr milner has sold all 4 swc m3's theres 3 teams running them this year i think 1 team has 2 and the other teams have 1 a peice in swc