Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:01 (Ref:952351)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Another point system! (Well, it's just mine...)

Having a very active thread about the comparison between new and old system, it could seem useless to add another point system (and possibly an idiotic one ), but here I go.

I have posted in the Bike forum about a little system I use in MotoGPs to score the GP weekend (basically the race!). It is as simple as this:

Qualifying (grid): 0.25 for pole, 0.1 for 2nd
Race fast lap: 0.5 for fastest lap, 0.25 for 2nd, 0.1 for 3rd
Race result: 1-0.5-0.25-0.1 for the first four positions.

(Why I use all those decimals numbers? I admit it possibly is dumb: multiplying by 8 all numbers become integers Yes, it would be easier)

Fast laps add a sense of who was quick in the race, althiugh it also can depend on strategy. The same about grid positon, and, of course race positions depend on random circunstances along the 300 kms of race. all in all, I think the aggregation produces a reasonable result about who was or not "hot" in the GP.

The first 4 GPs threw the following results:
Code:
MS  1.75  1.5   1.75  1.6   = 6.6
JB        0.4   0.25  1.0   = 1.6
RB  0.9   0.1   0.6         = 1.6
JPM       1.0         0.25  = 1.25
FA  0.4         0.25  0.25  = 0.9
RS  0.1         0.1         = 0.25
JT              0.1         = 0.1
MW        0.1               = 0.1
The crushing score of MS is of null interest (we all know it already), it is the rest of drivers who could (or not) be interesting to observe.

By now, not a lot of difference with WDC table, but as season develops, a considerable deviation is expexted as this system put accent in top perfomances, not in regularity.
  • Only MS has done well in every GP
  • MS dominated absolutely 2 GPs, and in the other 2 (MAL and SMA) JPM and JB put *some* resistance. The rest of drivers never played an important role.
  • The two Ferraris, two Williams, Button and Alonso are the only who did "something" in more than one (fluke) GP.
  • I don't put total for teams because it's embarrasing to see Ferrari's points
"Curriculum Vitae" for each driver is:

MS: 4 wins, 3 fastest laps and one 2nd FL, 3 poles and one front row.

JB: Three podiums (one 2nd and two 3rds), one second FL and one 3rd FL, one pole.

RB: Two 2nd positions and one 4th, one second FL, two front rows.

JPM: Two podiums (2nd and 3rd), one fastest lap.

FA: One podium (3rd) and one 4th, one 2nd FL and two 3rd FL.

RS: 4th postion and 3rd fastest lap.

JT: 4th position.

MW: One front row.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:03 (Ref:952355)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schummy, will you ever do anything unamazing?
Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:06 (Ref:952361)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
good stuff Schmmy.... whats the difference though MS still dominates!!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:08 (Ref:952363)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, mixing cards would be very very tough, ralfie
Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:21 (Ref:952376)   #5
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Aargh! We all try to find a system in which MS is not crushing the rest of the field! Damn! Someone knows how to do it? LOL
Old 26 Apr 2004, 19:44 (Ref:952676)   #6
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually Schummy, that's not - or shouldn't be - the point of the scoring system. It should be to find the best driver/car combination. This year that's been Schuey so he should have a big lead, which is why your system is good.

PS. Mutliplying 0.1 by 8 doesn't give an integer!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 21:01 (Ref:952788)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Actually "my" 0.1 is 0.125 but I round it to one decimal.

(Also, note the ironic tone in my former post about systems and MS )
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:04 (Ref:953606)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well atleast THIS system shows MS only 5 pts ahead!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:14 (Ref:953619)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, this system shows him with more points than all the others added together
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:18 (Ref:953622)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203

good one RED!!!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:31 (Ref:953634)   #11
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi let me guess :-) your happen to be a statistician. By the way that is what I do at the moment.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:47 (Ref:953641)   #12
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Schummy
Aargh! We all try to find a system in which MS is not crushing the rest of the field! Damn! Someone knows how to do it? LOL
If you start by awarding 0 points for pole and 0 points for the race win, you'ld probably end up with having both Montoya and Button ahead of Michael.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 17:32 (Ref:954861)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If you really want a good system, you should go for a simple system.

For instance:

Race Win: 7 points.
p2: 3 points.
p3: 1 point.

or:

Race win: 5 points.
p2: 3 points.

or perhaps:

Race win: 4 points.
p2: 2 points.

In a system like that, it would be impossible for a (relatively) "mediocre" driver to come close to the WDC.

To be WDC, you would have to win a number of races.
And you would also need to have some consistency, as you'll need podium finishes to score points.
But podium finishes without race wins won't do ...

---------------

Of course the big problem with this system, is that only the best will score points.
And the other team will not like that.

So because of commercial reasons, this system could never be implemented.
But this system would certainly lead to worthy World Champions.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 18:36 (Ref:954898)   #14
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

In my system, race scores are the same as your 4-2-1 system (because 1-0.5-0.25 is equivalent to 4-2-1) and very similar to your 7-3-1 and 5-3-1 (mine's would equivalent to 6-3-1.5).

That's why I chose that system, I like to reward very good results to see who is dominant. But added to this I like to consider other info we get from the weekend.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 19:36 (Ref:954937)   #15
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don K, I think that your systems are good, though I would like to see a few more get points. Not for any commercial considerations, you understand, but because I think the lower teams deserve something.

How about 25-12-8-6-4-3-2-1 with bonus point similar to what Schummy has suggested?

I suppose we could go on and on coming up with systems and, as you say, the FIA would carry on in their own blinkered way....
Old 29 Apr 2004, 23:44 (Ref:956247)   #16
rodrigomarban
Racer

rodrigomarban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, Schummy! Another great "number crunching" thread.

I like the idea.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 23:54 (Ref:956256)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
One has to remember, though, that a critical factor is that the points system be relatively simple and transparent. I confess that NASCAR baffles me utterly, whereas F1 (though perhaps the new points system is not ideal) is fairly straightforward. Personally, I'd probably go with 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1, plus a point for pole and a point for fastest lap, but there you go.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:07 (Ref:956775)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

I agree. In fact "my" point system was not intended as a proposition for WDC, but just as a tool to analyse what drivers are doing a top work.

Appart for some complication for the spectator, fastest laps could be "cheated" by special strategies, I'm afraid. In second thought, though, maybe those strategies could be interesting to watch.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 16:22 (Ref:957091)   #19
krt917
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Schummy
I agree. In fact "my" point system was not intended as a proposition for WDC, but just as a tool to analyse what drivers are doing a top work.
That, surely, is what a WDC should be about!! That's why I like your sytem!! If a points system does anything other than give us a way of measuring ('officially') who are doing the best jobs, then what's the point?!