Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 18 May 2004, 09:24 (Ref:974146)   #1
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graphics card uprgrade....

Yes, I know I only got a new one in febuary, but this is too good a price for a 9800Pro....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...k_Only_25.html

Think I'll keep the 9600XT and place it in my other system...

Just incase anyone else has a spare £130 quid, and was looking to upgrade....

Regards
Ed
Old 18 May 2004, 13:56 (Ref:974398)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OMG!
Old 18 May 2004, 15:27 (Ref:974476)   #3
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
cheap eh...
Old 18 May 2004, 18:09 (Ref:974643)   #4
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally wouldnt bother i dont think the difference in performance between the two is that great to justify the extra expence. With the cards always changing every 6 months or so theres no point getting an expensive one as it will be cheaper in a few months.

I'm still running my 9500pro which i bought about 18 months ago and it seems more than good enough to run F1C, GTR Farcry, Vietcong, demo of painkiller.
Old 18 May 2004, 18:24 (Ref:974653)   #5
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Maybe, but it will be much better for future games IE Doom3 and HL2... and like I said at that price it really is a bargin (My 9600XT cost the same as that, although i didn't pay for that one). And in my mind the difference s large enough, the difference between a 9700pro and a 9800pro may not be much but between a 9500 and 9800 the diff is large enought ot warent it. However that is juts my opinion, and the 9500Pro was admitidly a great card, Cheap but very fast.
Ed
Old 18 May 2004, 19:18 (Ref:974698)   #6
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LOL . i'm still have an antic one .. GeForce 256 SDR

Ciao Marco
Old 19 May 2004, 08:35 (Ref:975196)   #7
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no idea whats in mine, it came with the PC new in 2002...runs all the games I have and want.
Old 19 May 2004, 12:27 (Ref:975391)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thats the thing isn't it? My ancient GeForce 2 does everything I ask of it. I'm not about to splash out cash which might be more wisely spent this time of year on merguez and champagne.......
Old 20 May 2004, 08:30 (Ref:976254)   #9
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
well its arrived, and running n2k3, with the same settings as my old card, I get a minimum 20FPS improvement, which really helps when running at lowes using cockpit veiw, removing any slowdown i got when running there, every other track ran in the 40-50 range, lowes for some reason was always in 25-35 range

And Virtual Skipper 3 runs ltra smooth too, which is nice as before it was a little jumpy.

And this is all before I started going with a bit of overclocking on the card

I haven't tried it on F1C or anyother games yet, but I'm very happy with it... Now bring on DOOM3
Old 20 May 2004, 10:46 (Ref:976382)   #10
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i really dont know what is all the fuss about Doom3 .. other then graphics

Ciao Marco
Old 20 May 2004, 10:58 (Ref:976390)   #11
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Have you read any of the E3 reveiws from it? OK, it was only the XBox Code, but apparently it is one of THE scariest games ever produced, and it's not just the graphics but the audio too (thankfully I have a surround system already installed), I can't wait, and I don't need to mention about HL2 (which I get free copy of ).

Hang on, I've just realised a slightly absured thing, I want to pay money to get scared.... :confused: hmmm...

Oh and btw I tried this on the GTR demo too, and it was deffiently a smoother ride, I canna wait for that one..

Last edited by Try Hard; 20 May 2004 at 11:01.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:43 (Ref:976524)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I still remember Doom 1 - I was addicted to it for about 3 weeks......
Old 20 May 2004, 14:49 (Ref:976656)   #13
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
i've skipped Doom . and got right from Wolfenstein to Quake

Ciao Marco
Old 20 May 2004, 15:16 (Ref:976689)   #14
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Quake 2 is still one of my favourtie games, and I'll always remeber Wolfenstien 3d as it was the first fps i ever played.... hence i have a soft spot for anything produced by ID.
Old 20 May 2004, 16:03 (Ref:976738)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Thats the thing isn't it? My ancient GeForce 2 does everything I ask of it. I'm not about to splash out cash which might be more wisely spent this time of year on merguez and champagne.......
I've got the same.
I know bugger all about how a computer works anyway, so what this card or memory that i have doesn't bother me too much...
Old 20 May 2004, 16:29 (Ref:976756)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone know how much precent you can overclock a 9600Pro? Ed?
It is Ed isn't it? :confused:
Old 20 May 2004, 16:57 (Ref:976776)   #17
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
9600Pro, hmm not sure? I know my 9600XT didn't go very high, mainly cause its already running at a high core and mem speed...
I think you'll probably get at least 20mhz on the core, and probably 10-20 on the mem. Best way of doing it is use something like 3dMark03. Up it a little at a time (say 5mhz) and then check for any artifacts that nay appear. If you get tearing that appears will be the core too high, white spots your looking at the memorary being too high.
I personally up the core first, until I find a stable level, and then do the memorary. It makes it easier to adjust.
I'm actually using the included Rad Linker with the omega drivers (cat 4.5 version)

Hopefully it'll help.
And yes it is,
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 20 May 2004 at 17:00.
Old 20 May 2004, 18:41 (Ref:976854)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Forgive me for asking, but why on earth would you want to overclock it? I haven't bothered overclocking since I had a Voodoo 3000.....
Old 20 May 2004, 18:52 (Ref:976877)   #19
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So you can overclock the more recent versions then? In order to O/C mine you have to reflash the bios on the card to fool it into thinking its a different version. Ive had enough problems flashing bioses over the years and cards becoming instantly useless with a slip of a knife when removing the heatsink! Theres no way im risking it this time!
Old 20 May 2004, 18:53 (Ref:976879)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

uhm,... ok that went just horribly wrong..
Thankfully i got rid of the blurry **** with resetting the pc but i don't think i'll try this again...
Old 20 May 2004, 19:13 (Ref:976908)   #21
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
You really can't push it too hard to soon, took me most of the night to find the right settings. Of course you could always try ATi Tool, it basically runs a program that automatically attempts to find your highest STABLE core and Mem speeds, easy to use, but I would recomend leaving it for about an hour to sort out, as it requires the GPU etc to heat up.

And Ayse, its all about the speed... For me any extra fps i can get are good, then again i tend to run stuff slightly more graphically demanding than GPL....
Old 20 May 2004, 19:16 (Ref:976913)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, so be it. What do you run that needs more than you can get already without overclocking then?
Old 20 May 2004, 19:19 (Ref:976916)   #23
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not going to overclock anything. The very word makes it sound potentially fatal to my PC
Old 20 May 2004, 19:45 (Ref:976935)   #24
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
it is . it;s usually done by IT freaks
demanding . try FarCry Ayse .. or Prince of Persia .. i bet you can't even start it with your current card

Ciao Marco
Old 20 May 2004, 20:10 (Ref:976950)   #25
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
hmmm sounds like i'm being sterotyped here

You have a point ayse, its not so much need, more that i can, given there is "free" performance, wht not use it? And before anyone mentions that it reduces hardware life, don't. It's not relevant, as if your like me, i'll probably upgrade well within the lifetime of the component anyway. And also as long as your sensible with it (ie make sure the temps are ok, <50degC), it doesnt do that much harm. Like I said before, not so much of a "need", more of an "I can".

think of it in a way of car setup, if you could make a change that would make you run faster, even if you were fast already, you'd do it right? especially if it was almost a "free" adjustment, you woldn't just pass it up because you didn't want to do it....

At least thats how i look on it.
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 20 May 2004 at 20:11.