Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2004, 07:36 (Ref:1012932)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
US GP - James Allen's Verdict

I am a little stunned by the article on the ITV site where James Alens's leader is "Just What F1 Needed"
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?&...al&PO_ID=30499
It seems like he comes from the school of spectator that thinks "crashes are cool"
Old 23 Jun 2004, 07:42 (Ref:1012942)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I only have 2 words on my mind when reading this: Sick and *******! (the second which no doubt will be blanked out..)
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:00 (Ref:1012957)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Unfortunately it has to be said that spectators do enjoy races where there is an element of crashing. You only have to look at the most popular viewing places to see they are centered where crashes are likely to happen. I'm not suggesting they want to see injury, but spins, accidents and the like, they do want to see.

I think James Allens comments refer to the whole race and not Ralfs accident per se and should be taken in that context.

Look at last years British GP for example. We had bits coming off DC's car which prompted the SC, then the track invader and again the SC, and everyone said what a fabulous race it was. Unfortunately people want to see some action, not a processional race.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:03 (Ref:1012961)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I find crashes distressing and would much rather get my kicks from seeing closely matched cars and drivers racing and dicing with each other (thank's for that Taku)
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:04 (Ref:1012962)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And here i was thinking that it was because of Rubens' fashionable victory that it was a fabulous race, if it was just those things as the priest and DC that happened then i would just call it an 'eventful' race, not a fabulous one.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:26 (Ref:1012986)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While i never like to see anyone involved in a big accident there are a lot of people that do attend motor sports in the hope of seeing some spectacular crashes although i would've thought James Allen to be a little smarter with his comments as someone that's watched as much F1 as him should know what can happen with a big accident.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:39 (Ref:1012996)   #7
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a ****, but the average viewer sees the odd crash, minus injuries of course, as another part of 'the show'. James Allen has to realise who he is writing his report too - F1 fans, not the casual viewer. Thus it might help if for once he tuned that grey matter in and realised what the real fans want to see and read about - racing.

On a random note, and talking about racers, did anyone get last weeks Autosport and read about how Sato and Rubens have buried the hatchet? Good article by Mark Hughes - read it!

ALLEN OUT! EDWARDS IN!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:44 (Ref:1013002)   #8
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was no report bby James Allen in the FT on Monday so hopefully they have started the trend of dropping him and that ITV used Ben Edwards for Le Mans to try him out
Old 23 Jun 2004, 09:25 (Ref:1013036)   #9
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen says every GP is the most exciting thing he has ever seen . Its all just talking it up to save his job . I simply cannot understand how he is still there, or any of the hapless mob for that matter.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 09:29 (Ref:1013041)   #10
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen is shocking. All cliches. He talks in the same way as a journalist writes. Rosenthal and Blundell's 'chat' after the race was also shockingly stiff...?! Chrysalis could get a far cheaper and far more skilled set of presenters. I don't understand what they're doing...?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 09:55 (Ref:1013063)   #11
jbisminesothere
Rookie

United Kingdom
the middle of nowhere
jbisminesothere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since Allen became a presenter we have all had our own views on how well he has been doing. i think this is just another example of him making the assumption that really we know very little about F1. Yes actionis good, but the kind of action that we want is the overtaking and wheel to wheel racing, not crashes that could be fatal!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1013097)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People who watch purely for the crashes are not real racing enthusiasts. The lowest common denominator is not what it's about. There's so much more to the story if they could be bothered to find out and spend some grey matter on the skill and expertise involved.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1013099)   #13
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's right, action and accidents are two different things and I only enjoy the first
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1013106)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely by ITV standards it was the worst race ever, because it delayed Coronation Street?

James seems to be stuck in between doing serious commentaries for knowledgable viewers, as he did from the pitlane (albeit not terirbly well) and dumbing it down to get a wider audience (the way ITV want it). The online report should be geared to the former audience, as spider says.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1013113)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

"Dumbing it down" is an unfortunate yet apt description of what's happening. I can't say I'd volunteer myself every second Sunday but I must admit that the start 'GOOOOOOOOsss' and the some of the other carry-on gets a bit wearing now and again.

Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1013121)   #16
spider
Veteran

England
London
I have never heard one good thing about him, not ONE positive comment. The only positive thing I can think of is that one day he'll have to retire...*sigh*...what a great thought - F1 without the dullard - I can dream, can't I!?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1013122)   #17
spider
Veteran

England
London
I have never heard one good thing about him, not ONE positive comment. The only positive thing I can think of is that one day he'll have to retire...*sigh*...what a great thought - F1 without the dullard - I can dream, can't I!?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1013141)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

Come back Murray, all is forgiven?

Old 23 Jun 2004, 11:17 (Ref:1013171)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Though I find my patience with Jim Rosenthal wearing thin, too. Here's a thing, Jim - not everything can be compared to football. I nearly screamed when he followed Mark Blundell's explanation of left-foot braking (not, it seems to me, the most complex of concepts) by saying "So, it's like a footballer kicking with both feet". No! No it's not, Jim! The two things are in no way alike! And stop talking about football all the f**king time - we're watching F1 because, shock horror, we like motor racing. NOT FOOTBALL!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1013178)   #20
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anybody heard about this ITV3 rumour next year, That all the fly away quallies will be on this channel. as for allen and rosenthal,Get Ben Edwards and Steve Ryder as Ancorman but it won`t happen.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1013180)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James is somewhat loose with the facts also.

"Now that Hakkinen's Williams test has been cancelled".

Every other source, including the team and Mika has said there never was a test planned.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1013378)   #22
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many people cringed when he let out the "ROCK AND ROLL!!!!" after rubens pole lap.

I just love hearing Martin shoot all his conspiracy theories. It seems to me that James tries to create a soap opera out of F1 wheras Martin tends to commentate on the racing.

Ive really tried to warm to James and I thought I was being harsh on him earlier in the year. I thought to myself, 'maybe Murray wasnt that much better'. Since then, Ive got a few of my tapes out and had a watch and damn I miss Murray!!!! That was one funny dude who had a passion for racing greater than anyone. He too made a big deal out of little incidents, but he just did it in a much better way. I cant explain it, Murrary could screw up, overhype an incident, mistake Michael for Ralf every race, and still be entertaining. HE WAS THE MASTER!!!!!!!!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 15:59 (Ref:1013519)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spider
Sadly he's only 40, so not all of us will still be here when that day comes. All the same, it might be worth getitng a bottle of wine now and letting ti mature to celebrate such a day.

Murray was in a different league - not only was his commentary knowledgable, (mostly) accurate, entertaining and reliable, but he was honest, hard-working and friendly, if maybe a little naĆ*ve. James isn't a bad guy, but he's a lame commentator. Still, at least they didn't choose Jeremy Clarkson.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1013536)   #24
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only reason I don't turn James Allen off and listen to 5 live is the sesible comments from Martin.

Honestly that Dullard and the 'Bad Luck Queen' just rub me up the wrong way.

Make way for Ben Edwards please

Ian
Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1013538)   #25
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoops,

just done an Allen....Sensible comments