Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2004, 22:35 (Ref:1027451)   #1
James Kimbley
Rookie

England
James Kimbley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Formula 1 Need One Oval Race.

I have always believed that Formula 1 should have at least one oval race per season. This would bring excitement and variation to the season. Manly as the would be no other race like this and it would most likely change the usual results we see, the cars would be close so could slipstream and continually pass and re pass cars on similar levels, drivers would have to react to dirty air and of course pit stops would be highly important.

I would love to see the Indianapolis race as a full super speedway (of course less laps than Indycar) rather than the mediocre race track layout currently in use. It would be interesting to see how the drivers and teams would react. I believe it would bring the closest and most exciting race of the season.

People say watching cars going round in circles is boring but it not it is so tactical and strategic, planning your moves, when your need to pit, and constantly trying to predict what others are doing.

I would like to hear what your views on this are?
Old 5 Jul 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1027461)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Need? No. Although in principle I'm not against it.

There are a couple of issues though. Firstly I'm not sure the engines could take being flat out for so long (even if the race was not 500 miles). It would be very expensive to make an engine for one race.

The cars. Well they'd need serious changes I think for an oval. Firstly to stop stupid speeds and also to enable racing (like IRL).

There is a safety issue too, although I think that this can be achieved. The crash tests are severe, but perhaps an improved rear crash would be needed for ovals?

A coarse on oval driving for the drivers wouldn't go a miss either. I semi-joke here, but am semi-serious. In IRL/Champcar the oval rookies are a relatively small percentage, in F1 it'd be higher. Still when they'd done it for a bit...

I can't see it being worth it. Without a lot of research then they will always play second fiddle to IRL on the ovals. They could do it well, but for one race a year?

However, I'd like to end on a positive note to the idea. The current calendar is dull in terms of variety - adding a oval race would change that!
Old 5 Jul 2004, 23:54 (Ref:1027493)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
An oval race would be a waste of time for F1 imo.

For a start, as Rafes crash showed, F1 cars are not designed to hit a concrete wall, IRL and CART cars are.

The teams do not have the experience of setting up the cars, again, they are not designed for it, as IRL and CART cars have very cambered wheels.

Lastly, i know it happens in CART, but that is because it's a weaken series lately, but 20 F1 cars going round an oval doesn't appeal, we need 30 at least for that
Old 6 Jul 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1027514)   #4
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
heavens no....please, don't give bernie any ideas....
Old 6 Jul 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1027520)   #5
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Too many obstacles for F1, but I would like to see an INDY 500 somehow become a truly open race where once a year F1, Champ and IRL drivers could all compete. I know, I'm dreaming again.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 01:31 (Ref:1027530)   #6
RCSKULLY
Rookie

RCSKULLY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Living in the US and having to deal with Nascar every day of my life, I would simply puke to see an oval race track in F1. But like I said, this is because I have to see it every day and put up with as whole bunch of rude Nascar fans.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 01:42 (Ref:1027534)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oval racing is not what Formula One should be about.

I love F1 and I love IndyCars but I don't want to see Grand Prix racing be about anything other than what the Americans call road courses.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 01:42 (Ref:1027535)   #8
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it would ever happen, but it might be interesting.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 02:41 (Ref:1027564)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that we should leave Oval racing to the Americans, who wants to sit there for a couple of hours watching F1 cars only turning left.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 08:15 (Ref:1027728)   #10
klb
Rookie

United States
Alexandria, VA USA
klb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, how about a drag race??

just kidding

Last edited by klb; 6 Jul 2004 at 08:15.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 08:43 (Ref:1027751)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oval race in F1 would be great - or a combined course? Monza? full oval suggestions wouldbe Eurospeedway or thr Rock
Old 6 Jul 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1027799)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bringing back the Monza banking would be a great idea - it looks amazing from the historical footage that's out there.

I love oval racing, but I don't think a single token race is a good idea. Too many changes would have to be made to the cars for it to be economically viable, and there's no guarantee of a good race considering that only Montoya and da Matta have real oval experience. I don't like the situation of CART only having 1 or 2 ovals, and I think it'd be a mistake for F1. Either have at elast 4 or don't bother.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 09:46 (Ref:1027812)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Just remember Schumi Lite's accident before suggesting F1 needs ovals.

Concrete barriers on the outside of 180 mph corners is a retrograde step in terms of safety.

In summary - no F1 doesn't need ovals IMO.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1027879)   #14
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like to see it, but I understand the difficulties. If we could have slower cars (and less aero downforce) it could be possible.

Teams are responsible to get a compromise in terms of chassis and engine.

The idea of coming back to a kind of old Monza is totally appealing to me because: (1) I think we need really quick circuits, (2) I hate "current" (for so many years...) chicaney Monza. But, sadly I think the safety aspect of the huge banks are hair rising =:-o
Old 6 Jul 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1027929)   #15
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even if the Indy 500 became open I would imagine most of the current F1 drivers would either not be allowed or not be interested

How about the Mallory Mile as a venue instead
Old 6 Jul 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1028099)   #16
schuey01
Rookie

schuey01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is actually impossible to do. The G rating alone on the cars would place the drivers in an ICU ward very quickly. They would feel very nausiated and a choking feeling while driving at speed, along with a swishing motion in their stomachs every time a turn or bend would arise. When slowing down to pit the drivers would actually feel the G load decrease from there body. This alone could cause an aneurism if subjected to the conditions repetitively (a 7 second pit stop). I believe it has been thought of, but obviously the thought knocked downed hastily.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1028213)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hell no. Ovals are boring.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 16:44 (Ref:1028240)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should just change Indy and make the F1 track rejoin the oval on the backstretch, and take the last two flat.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:03 (Ref:1028256)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Hell no. Ovals are boring.

I used to think that. Probably still do. But its got to be worth a try.

Anything has to be worth a try right now....
Old 6 Jul 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1028400)   #20
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 does not need more drivers in hospitals
Old 6 Jul 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1028406)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good thinking Jordi - could be the best of both worlds, without needing much car adaptation of the cars.

You can't say many of the current racks ar eparticualrly exciting, and nor are many of the current races. While I do think ovals and F1 aren't a great mix, I think some of you'd be surprised how exciting the IRL in particular is.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 01:47 (Ref:1028721)   #22
Andre the Giant
Rookie

Andre the Giant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see it.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 02:05 (Ref:1028728)   #23
RCSKULLY
Rookie

Ovals have higher speeds but is it really more dangerous to be running parallel beside a wall at 180 mph than driving down a narrow street at 150 mph head on to one? The only added danger I see would be all the cars running so close together. But Indy manages that quite well. But yeah ovals are boring!

Sorry if I sound uneducated at all or missed some big points. I am only 15 after all.

Last edited by RCSKULLY; 7 Jul 2004 at 02:07.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 03:22 (Ref:1028751)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Suprisingly these threads are getting better with some smarter posts. As was mentioned F1 regulations would have to be substantially changed in order for F1 cars to be safe on an oval.

schuey01's G load comments are interesting ones. CART ran into that problem when they attempted to race at the Texas speedway because driver's were subjected to a downward forces. As for the pit Gs, given that F1 simulates not disimilar conditions when slowing going into a corner, I'm not sure that a few pitstops would cause that problem. As for cornering Gs, while F1 cornering has increased massively with the tire war, they'd have to run virtually no wing in the corners. If it was too high the FIA could regulate a special wing (like CART) or max wing angle (like the IRL).

RCSKULLY's point is actually quite good. How many times do we hear people on this forum who don't understand oval racing say it's dangerous but fail to mention Monaco? F1 cars at Monaco reach speeds similar to those of other open-wheel cars on ovals and there are many more close to head-on walls for cars to hit at Monaco. The reason that there haven't been more serious accidents at Monaco is the same reason that there are fewer accidents in F1 - little competition from competitors. The FIA is completely hipocritical by not mandating higher impact resistance standards for racing at Monaco.

And no Oval racing isn't boring. Remember the F1 seasons where there wasn't a single competitive pass all season? (think ~98) THAT was boring.

Last edited by Snrub; 7 Jul 2004 at 03:22.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 08:49 (Ref:1028923)   #25
RCSKULLY
Rookie

Well it can get boring when it's the only thing you see on tv, but I guess I am just lucky that way.