Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1030266)   #1
HForce
Rookie

HForce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who’s The Worse Ever Driver To of Driven In F1?

I know throughout the history of F1 there as been a fair few pay drivers, thus not really meriting their place, but my all time worse driver ever has to be Jean-Denis Deletraz, apart from him being rent a seat driver I read somewhere in a session he stalled the car on the track due to going to slow on an up hill part, and for one race I think he retired due to cramp.

Last edited by HForce; 8 Jul 2004 at 13:24.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1030285)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this was discussed about a week ago, but anyway your assesment of Monsieur Deletraz is pretty accurate.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1030305)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But was M. Deletraz worse than Taki Inoue? Deletraz never got run over by the marshals...
Old 8 Jul 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1030306)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Inoue was quicker.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1030317)   #5
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tarso Marquez
Old 8 Jul 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1030319)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
But was M. Deletraz worse than Taki Inoue? Deletraz never got run over by the marshals...
But is that a reflection on Inoue's driving skills, or those of the marshals who ran him over.......?
Old 8 Jul 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1030334)   #7
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Fielden
Tarso Marquez
Marques got a really bad Minardi upto around the top 10 on a couple of occasions - he wasn't that bad.

Deletraz was a good peddler in F3000, a couple of podiums. There was a long break between his F3000 and F1 drives, add 0 testing to that and you've got a steeper learning curve then Everest.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 15:02 (Ref:1030345)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weren't Deletraz's 2 F3000 podiums the only points he scored in 4 years? Although he had a lot to learn, he never showed any sign of learning it. He was off the pace to an embarassing extent, and made some ridiculous mistakes.

He could be the worst of the modern era. The worst of all could've been one of the one-offs from the early years, when the overall professionalism was lower.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1030527)   #9
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Philippe Adams, or maybe Giovanni Lavaggi.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1030542)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can we make the thread title read correctly please?

I believe it should be "Who’s The Worst Ever Driver To "HAVE" Driven In F1?

Or "Who's the the worst ever F1 Driver?"

I know it may seem pedantic but for gawds sakes, we are writing in English aren't we folks?
Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1030543)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
Philippe Adams

I'm so sorry...
Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1030556)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was my first thought as well Peter. It's okay when English isn't someone's first language, but otherwise there's no excuse for tallking like President Bush.

Lavagii did nowhere near as badly as Deletraz at Pacific, although his CV outside F1 is even less inspiring.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1030565)   #13
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bringing President Bush into a "worst ever" discussion somehow seems oddly appropriate.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 8 Jul 2004 at 18:51.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:54 (Ref:1030570)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

I know it may seem pedantic but for gawds sakes, we are writing in English aren't we folks?
Well said, Peter.

The internet appears to have a big role in the decline of the standard of the written word.

Grammar and spelling, in reality, are as important as ever.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 19:00 (Ref:1030575)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wanted to put a suitably humorous answer to this but ............. it bloody well is important............to everybody.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1030627)   #16
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Peter (and Boots'),

As a Dutchman it's sometimes difficult to respond in proper English and I'm sure I make a lot of mistakes. Nevertheless it helps a lot to even understand what a topic is about when native English speakers use their own language as it is meant to be.

Back on topic, I'd say Addams.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1030677)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Deletraz. He was fairly pathetic. Everyone seems to remember that race in Adelaide, 1994 as the epitomy of rent-a-driverdom.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 03:31 (Ref:1030915)   #18
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Alex Yoong is definately a candidate. He may not be the worst of all time but not far away. Is next to useless in Australian v8`s at present. Lucky he comes with cash.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 04:23 (Ref:1030939)   #19
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Before my time, but there must have been some duds in the 80's during the pre-qualifying years.

What about worst ever to win a race?
Old 9 Jul 2004, 05:54 (Ref:1030975)   #20
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Deletraz was not good but not the worst ever by a long chalk.

My vote would go to Otto Stuppacher, who in his 3 attempts at qualifying for a GP was an average of 7 seconds away from last spot on the grid - at the US GP in 1976, he was 5 seconds behind Pescarolo (last qualifier), but Pescarolo himself was 6 seconds behind the next chap because of mechanical problems...

Giovanna Amati must push him close.

Of those that actually drove in a race, you might want to look at Ottorino Volonterio, who was NC at the Nurburgring in '56 - he was lapped 6 times in 22...
Old 9 Jul 2004, 09:04 (Ref:1031064)   #21
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Inoue deserved better. It's hard to come up with another driver who had to experience as much craziness as Inoue did.

I have to say him being flipped over when being towed by the marshals at Monaco (uh yeah, and he was hit by a Clio course car as well in that particular incident) takes the prize though
Old 9 Jul 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1031108)   #22
HForce
Rookie

HForce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

Real Gs go macking gussy gussy gussets, this guy sits at home with his ladybird book of grammar.

Move your body like a snake Peter!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1031178)   #23
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst ever was Bernie Ecclestone who did a best lap of 6 min + at Monaco in 1958.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1031281)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The worse driver to of driven in F1 that I of seen has to of been Jean Denis Deletraz. Absolutely laughable in the most extreme sense.

People like him got granted superlicenses easier than talented people like Perry McCarthy which is frightening and sad.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 14:34 (Ref:1031386)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by HForce
Real Gs go macking gussy gussy gussets, this guy sits at home with his ladybird book of grammar.

Move your body like a snake Peter!
Read the forum rules.