Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1031458)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to THE SUN (beware) Rubens turned down a Williams drive for 05

as i said according to the sun...(the most reliable source for f1 news NOT!!!) Rubinho apparently turned down a Williams drive.... it contains a few quotes so i thought i will post it...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...09090632.shtml

Franky i dont think it is true... more like Rubens said
" i wouldnt want to leave Ferrari"... and the reporters added the Williams part to add a bit of spice..

anyway any comments on Rubens's sudden hunger for beating M Schu? i dont know why the guy stays at Ferrari.... i he is so desperate to beat MS.... he is never going to be allowed to do it in the red team....
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1031477)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I won't be surprised that Williams offered Rubens a seat.

in terms of overall performance and quality, Rubens is definitely on par with William's current driver pairing, and with 2 seats to fill, Williams may have many drivers choices, but few established names, to choose from.

Rubens is vastly experienced, and he's proven himself to be quick in a car, good with setups, good wet weather guy, easy to work with, and has good racecraft and at overtaking...none of which is inferior to either Ralf nor JPM.

Even his weakness, in terms of consistency, isn't worse than either current Williams driver.

But the only obstacle is that Ruben's is being tied to Ferrari til end of 05, and immediate rivals for that Williams seat is Webber or Button.

But given current Williams' form, if i were Rubens, i'd stick to Ferrari too.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:05 (Ref:1031478)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, The Sun!

Anyway, why would want Rubens accept a Williams drive?
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1031482)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, there were those rumours about Rubens joining the team a while ago, but they were dismissed as pipe dreams. He's in the best car with the best team, he's not after the challenge of turning around a team's fortunes, he wants to win now.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:24 (Ref:1031502)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's possible that Frank (or even Patrick or Sam) made a preliminary enquiry, and Rubens said he wasn't available, and wasn't willing to break his contract. I doubt they got as fair as negotiating, especially as Williams (or BMW) would've had to pay off his Ferrari contract.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:48 (Ref:1031531)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Sun has also said that Rubens will retire if he no longer thinks he can beat Schuey!!! He must be pretty enthusiastic still, not been able to for 4 and a half years!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1031552)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This rumour has been around for ages.

It's just the Sun's standard sensationalism of taking an off the cuff remark and blowing out of proportion.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1031639)   #8
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I don't think that Rubens would fit well into the Williams environment.

I seem to remember that Rubens success at Stewart was partially attributed to Jackies willing ness to adopt the arm around the shoulder approach.

Williams is famous for not being willing to adopt this policy
Old 9 Jul 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1031655)   #9
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, this was widely reported earlier in the year and, frankly, I believe it. Rubens could have been a perfect choice for Williams next year. A safe pair of hands, particularly compared to their current line-up. If Rubens had wanted to leave for Williams, he could have; recall that when this was first rumoured, he hadn't yet renewed his Ferrari contract. So he was perfectly free to move if he had wanted to.

But he didn't want to and the rumour immediately died when he renewed his current position for another two years. I just don't understand why any driver would choose such a "safe" role when Williams could offer him so much more and so many more opportunities to develop himself. Perhaps he he was worried about that team's legendary toughness on drivers? Rubens' mental strength has often been questioned. Or perhaps Ferrari simply pay him more.

What a waste, though

(500 posts! )
Old 9 Jul 2004, 19:52 (Ref:1031664)   #10
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sun also think people still listen to what Eddie Irvine thinks.

You've got your $millions now f*** off.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 03:29 (Ref:1031892)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"I just don't understand why any driver would choose such a "safe" role when Williams could offer him so much more and so many more opportunities to develop himself."

Look at Ralf and Juan? Both drivers don't seem to have "developed" themselves, Williams offered to struggle this season, Head constantly on the papers criticising his drivers... not really a brilliant working environment.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1032277)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams won't ever want ruhbins.This is rubbish
Old 10 Jul 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1032453)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Quote:"I just don't understand why any driver would choose such a "safe" role when Williams could offer him so much more and so many more opportunities to develop himself."
Is this Irvine?! I suppose developing yourself is one euphemism for tooling around at the back of the field raking in the moolah.