Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2004, 08:34 (Ref:1041917)   #1
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber : Paffett vs Shrimp

Autosport are alleging a shootout between these two for 2005 seat - I hope this has not already been posted - I did not see it
Old 21 Jul 2004, 08:48 (Ref:1041926)   #2
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gary is a great bloke, and a superb driver - he's been the fastest guy in DTM this year, infact I've got to admit that he's stunned me with just how well he's run in such a competitive championship!

He's down-to-earth, anyone who's visited the Zip stand at Autosport will see him serving customers, like any other person, and he's got test experience with McLaren.

Isn't he managed by Keke too? Not bad, not bad...

Anthony and Gary are BOTH good enough for F1, so lets see who gets the drive, if/when Fisi leaves...
Old 21 Jul 2004, 08:54 (Ref:1041931)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Shrimp' being the 5'3" Anthony Davidson? That's pretty offensive in my book. Sorry if I'm being petty, but I'd certainly hate to be called that.

Paffett seems unlikely unless they're switching to Mercedes, due to his links to them. If engine issues don't comew into play I'd rearg Davidson as the better bet.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 08:59 (Ref:1041933)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ahhhhhh was wondering who Shrimp was

Ant has been impressive this year and deserves his shot at a full time seat I think .
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:01 (Ref:1041935)   #5
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is it worth having a full time shot with Sauber, hes done a great job with BAR but won't be allowed running on Friday, would running with Sauber (who have speed on/off like a light switch) be a wise career move xref:minardi
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1041938)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
of course it would.

I also agree that suaber are the biggest underperformed team probably in the history of F1 but look what going to sauber this year has done for Fisichella , looks like he may be off to renault (again) if you believe the rumors.

its a way of showing what you can do in a possibly not so good car.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:20 (Ref:1041947)   #7
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber, with their impressive design team, windtunnel, solid management and links with Ferrari can only be a good thing for any driver. They've now got the means to develop during the season at a rapid rate - if their rear-car mods are anything to go by, then they seem to know how to use the tool too!

If I was Ant or Gary I'd jump at the chance to drive for Sauber - as has been said, look at what they've done for Fisi! Fisi's career was in a spiral at Jordan, but with Saubers solid improvements of late he's been in the mix again and can at least spend an afternoon going forward, instead of stagnating at the back of the field - as he had to put up with in the Jordan!

Ant could do far worse. The only thing with Gary is that he's in a top-line series, with a top-line drive, and is probably getting paid a fair old amount. Is it worth risking...?
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:42 (Ref:1041961)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Title edited, lets stick to drivers actual names, not nicknames, that many people won't recognise or may appear derogatory.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:47 (Ref:1041966)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's room for both of them in F1.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1041988)   #10
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No offense meant to anyone anywhere but that was just my understanding of his nickname at BAR
Old 21 Jul 2004, 10:43 (Ref:1042009)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I always thought he was known as 'Ant' which also make sit clear who he is.

I think Sauber can have a good 2005, but it will get tougher for them as time goes on, assuming the works teams continue to invest heavily. Still, it seems like a good working environment that has launched and relaunched some impressive careers.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1042033)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Front-line drive in the DTM or no, Paffett would be mad to pass up a Sauber seat, if one becomes vacant. F1 opportunities come so rarely, you can't say no when fortune comes a-knockin'. Of course, this all depends on Fisichella leaving.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1042042)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paffett isn't a proven F1 driver against Davidson who is, yet will still come cheap.

Does Paffett drive a Mercedes by any chance? I know Sauber are angling for a Mercedes customer engine and a Michelin deal...
Old 21 Jul 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1042058)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Paffett and his manager were both seem going into the Sauber motorhome at the Silverstone GP weekend, maybe there is some truth in the rumour.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1042062)   #15
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber, although they have a relationship with Ferrari, still have a close Mercedes relationship.

They have a sponsorship deal with DaimlerChrysler that covers trucks, and I beileve the windtunnel is used by the group too. Therefore, I'm sure Mercedes would have no issue promoting one of their drivers to Sauber
Old 21 Jul 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1042069)   #16
spider
Veteran

England
London
Gary is a huge talent, as is Anthony. Both deserve a place in F1. I wonder whether Ant could end up at Sauber, and Gary at Jordan – so EJ can attract Mercedes…?
Old 21 Jul 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1042088)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I thought the Mercades rumours had gone away with regards to Jordan (as much as any rumour in F1 can go away!) and that Toyota were favourites to supply the yellow peril?
Old 21 Jul 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1042091)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never trust any rumours to do with Jordan - even if they are true they usually get messed up somehow...

The Sauber + Mercedes rumours on the other hand...
Old 21 Jul 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1042114)   #19
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
Paffett isn't a proven F1 driver against Davidson who is, yet will still come cheap.
How would Paffett become a proven F1 driver if he can't get a chance in the first place? I think it would be good whichever of the two make it, it would be fantastic if both got a seat in F1 and make a success of it.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 12:47 (Ref:1042117)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
Originally posted by spider
Gary is a huge talent, as is Anthony. Both deserve a place in F1. I wonder whether Ant could end up at Sauber, and Gary at Jordan – so EJ can attract Mercedes…?
That could be the best fit all round. I'd love to see Jordan with a competitive engine - they're outdoing Jaguar with a thoeretically inferior driving lineup and one-step-back engines. The grid is a little light on British drivers, and these guys have both showed talent at several levels.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1042119)   #21
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well given that its a wWorld Championship,a nd not a British one, im not sure I see it as light on British talent. Especially with Coulthard and Button. Paffet and Davidson at theback of the grid wont add much imo, even for the UK.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1042170)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In recent years we've usually had three or four Brits, though.

Six in 1995.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1042240)   #23
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Paffett and Davidson are both great talents - and both deserve to be in F1.

I think If I were a team manager my decision would be swung in favour of davidson: Huge F1 mileage, in-depth knowledge of BARs current strong car, knows all the current F1 circuits and I have to say, in my experience, is a fair bit brighter than Paffett too.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 15:31 (Ref:1042250)   #24
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paffett needs to make the move now, if he can. Look at Davidson, a couple of races with Minardi 2 years ago, a lot of people rate him higher than Paffett, and he's still not guaranteed an F1 drive next year. Another couple of years in the DTM could turn Gary into another Timo Scheider.

About the original topic, Davidson would be the safer bet in the short-term, but Gary deserves to be there as well.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 19:14 (Ref:1042409)   #25
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going out on a limb, but is Massa himself actually contracted to Sauber or is he there because the second seat is given to Ferrari and they placed him there? If so, assuming Sauber switched to customer Mercs next season and Fisi moves to Williams then they could have both in there.

I'd certainly love to see both in F1 cars, as both are getting to that age where they really need to be moving forwards if they don't want to go backwards. Davidson's going to have a problem if BAR finish fourth or above and can't do friday testing and Paffett only needs to ask Faessler and Dumbreck how quiickly you can go from Mercedes' blue eyed youngster to an Opel driver.

Last edited by Poddy; 21 Jul 2004 at 19:15.