Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:18 (Ref:1064544)   #1
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya thinks Buttons Switch is Crazy

From Pitpass
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=21945

In the article Montoya says about Button going to Williams....
"I think its crazy", he continued "but its his choice. Probably Williams can turn it around, but they got it completely wrong this year"

Im sure thats a great thing to say about your current employer.
And dont you think its little bit ironic then that Montoya makes a statement like that, but he is also going to a team who got it completely wrong this year.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:25 (Ref:1064549)   #2
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sour grapes from a soon to be ex driver...

David.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:49 (Ref:1064557)   #3
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya surely forget that he sign a McLaren contract when Williams were clearly ahead of them.

Aniway, we already have another threads, many threads, about this matter.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 02:13 (Ref:1064563)   #4
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats the pot calling the kettle black.

The Grumpy1
Old 13 Aug 2004, 06:10 (Ref:1064645)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, honestly I don't think than JOM's opinion was that necessary in this mess.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1064733)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Agreed, honestly I don't think than JOM's opinion was that necessary in this mess.
Blame the journalist who asked then

This has already been discussed in the Button thread in a less 'hey look a quote that I can use to bash way'. Why do I say this? Well it is obvious that the topic of this is Button and where he will be driving, yet the posts are primarily about Montoya!

JPM, is just voicing his opinion. One which is shared by many on this very forum. I don't see what the problem is. Well I do, but it is nothing to do with Montoya or Button...

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Aug 2004 at 08:12.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1064739)   #7
wanarace
Rookie

wanarace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at the article on Autosport.com you'll find that in fact what JPM was talking about was leaving a team that was effectively built around JB. He's now heading to a team that will probably try to run with to 'equal' drivers.
Looking at it from that point of view you can see why JPM thinks that.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1064806)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well a lot of people might think that Montoya got it wrong too.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 13 Aug 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1064807)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM's just stirring things.

It's part of the game.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 10:31 (Ref:1064825)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Well a lot of people might think that Montoya got it wrong too.
and when asked they'd be right to express their opinion.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 11:39 (Ref:1064886)   #11
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
FFS!!!!

Here go the hypocrites again. They spend half their time whining that all the drivers are robots and don't have any personality, then when just about the only driver who's always willing to talk does so he gets bashed for daring to have an opinion!

Take your pick guys - you can't have it both ways...
Old 13 Aug 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1064899)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Questioning his motivation for making a remark is not the same as bashing him! What's the matter, can't you accept any criticism at all in JPM's direction?
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1064909)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
hey-hum. I would (and do) say the same for similar things said about any other driver. I hope to see you question me when I stick up for Michael (or whoever).

I still think my reasoning behind the other posts is correct. (It appears) the first thing that was considered was not the actual content of the quote, which is surely as interesting as our views on the Button situation, rather what can be read between the lines (with the associated guesswork and inaccuracies).

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Aug 2004 at 12:10.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1064932)   #14
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Glen, I'm quite happy for people to question JPM, or anyone else ... my little rant was aimed at those who always seem to have a pop at anything JPM says, yet in the same breath complain that Kimi and others never say anything!

There can be a very fine line between questioning a driver's motivation for saying something and bashing him. Sometimes we're a little too cynical I think - we try to read too much into what people say when sometimes all they're doing is answering a journo's question with their honest opinion.

And I can accept valid criticism in any direction - I'm a Ferrari fan so I'm used to it!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1064940)   #15
speedy weedy
Rookie

speedy weedy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you should not accept criticism even if you are a ferrari fan!!!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1064946)   #16
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Accepting it isn't the same as agreeing with it...
Welcome to the forum!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1064968)   #17
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think JPM is right, on the surface that is. From his perspective however there's a missing ingredient. He has never worked with DR and I am convinced that despite Button's statements that Richard's is the underlying reason for his jumping ship.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1064971)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
The missing ingredient in your theory being that you took JV's side against DR last year?

We all, potentially, have our own reasons for believing or refuting certain opinions or positions...
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1064987)   #19
Kirk
Veteran

Yes, Button witnessed that character assassination and recognized DR for what he is (insert your version here) and likely saw a pattern forming. The buddy-buddy relationship with Button, that DR liked to portray to the media just wasn't so. I suspect that there were many factors in Button's decision but in the end I think he is wise to get out.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1065006)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
One thing, I think, is reasonably certain. This story is like an iceberg - we get to see very little of it. As a Subaru fan I've always respected Dave Richards, and he should take huge credit for developing Prodrive into what it is today. But I'm beginnning to wonder about his ethics...
Old 13 Aug 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1065150)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not only was this thread started with the intention of producing flame-style attacks on JPM (and well done for keeping it civil), but the question was asked with that intention.

Montoya's point that the team was built around Jenson is interesting - has he given up an important advantage, the very one which has won Michael 4 titles? However, he doesn't appear aware of the fact that Jenson wasn't paid all the bonuses he'd earnt (or maybe he did know, and was making the point that people who criticised him weren't aware of this, in a reverse-psychology kind of way.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1065191)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

Montoya's point that the team was built around Jenson is interesting - has he given up an important advantage, the very one which has won Michael 4 titles?
And that is what has many people scratching their head, isn't it? JB SEEMED to have the 2nd best ride (arguably) in F1, and he gave it away. As Garcon said, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg here. I'd like to get the "pub" version from Jenson. We may have to wait for his book in 20 years.

All in all Button seems to be handling it quite well as he knew the onslaught that would follow this decision.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1065203)   #23
Warrior21
Rookie

Warrior21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know what they say about opinions --- everybody got one. Including the guys on this forum! I think JPM is entitled to his.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1065228)   #24
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Not only was this thread started with the intention of producing flame-style attacks on JPM (and well done for keeping it civil), but the question was asked with that intention.
I didn't see that at all. His comment deserves some scrutiny.

I to was fairly shocked, if we could even be shocked in F1 anymore, about what JPM said about his present employer. He still has a number of races ahead of him with Williams, and I don't think it's the proper time to be popping off about your team. He also has conveniently exonerated himself from any blame in the mess at Williams. It's as if his move to McLaren, made, when, about a year ago now, has nothing to do with the teams present problems.

Yeah right...
Old 13 Aug 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1065235)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Your easily shocked GP Racer

He is fairly spot on with the situation with Williams. He doesn't say he was unconnected to the problem, he must no that he is part of the team and it reflects badly on him. Yet, he still says what is essentially true.

However, overall, I disagree with him (contract details notwithstanding) I think Jenson has made the right choice. I'd chose to Williams for the next couple of years over BAR.

Tags
jpm