Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2004, 19:01 (Ref:1161082)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Lexus Jordan ?

Perhaps it would be in Toyotas best interests to supply customer engines under the Lexus branding, read at www.grandprix.com titled "a point woth noting in f1 circles".
Old 22 Nov 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1161098)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see that happening.

The point of the deal is so Jordan can sell the branding to someone else.

And Lexus competing against Toyota would be silly.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1161124)   #3
Bobie
Racer

Bobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lexus does not compete against Toyota as Lexus is the executive class style car of Toyota so it would be in their interests to help sales of the Lexus brand alongside the normal Toyota brand.

It would also enhance the image of Lexus and help it appeal to the younger more fun market that Jordan aims at.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1161138)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And a Lexus is a premium end car, competing with Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW etc etc...

... so why would they want to be seen on a backmarker Jordan :confused:
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Nov 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1161147)   #5
Bobie
Racer

Bobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Jordan now has the technical guy from Renault on board and the most powerful engine in F1 in Toyota then why would they be backmarkers.

Jordan have been at the top before and I think we will find them in the top 6 again next year, depending on their driver line up.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1161198)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Every team except Minardi has good reason to expect to be more competitive relative to Ferrari next year - I can see Jordan simply being further from the back, but no better. And their driver line-up will be one of the weakest.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1161205)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought Toyota had the technical guy from Renault on board?

Gascoyne's TF105 should be a stormer! - if his past cars are to go by [please note, the Tyrrell 025 was a pit underpowered - not his fault and wipe the X-wings from your mind!]

I think Jordan are still looking like a evens chance of making the grid. Getting the sponsors is key, the engine is just a good start. In the end, Jordan will have to opt for a not-so-hot pay driver line-up if a big backer isn't found.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1161248)   #8
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
And a Lexus is a premium end car, competing with Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW etc etc...

... so why would they want to be seen on a backmarker Jordan :confused:
Not a problem

DI@SU Jordan sound just fine I think the multi brand cars companies should take advantage of the developments

Just think last years Renualt chassis and motor rebadged as NISSAN and taken over the Minardi operation this would give the F1 all the cars they need and up and coming driver decent cars to prove themself
Old 22 Nov 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1161267)   #9
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard
I thought Toyota had the technical guy from Renault on board?

<snip>
Toyota apparently took quite a shine to several of Renault's engineers, so after luring Gascoyne across, they went after another engineer, only to find it breached a clause in some agreement or another (my memory's a little hazy on that), so they needed to find a team quicksmart to put him into - turned out to be Jordan. But I can't recall whether that was for this season or next season.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1161318)   #10
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Every team except Minardi has good reason to expect to be more competitive relative to Ferrari next year - I can see Jordan simply being further from the back, but no better. And their driver line-up will be one of the weakest.

May be not IF Ryan gets the gig I wouldn't call him weak
Old 22 Nov 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1161352)   #11
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Isn't this like Sauber with their re-branded Ferrari engine...

They don't re-brand it a Maserati, as Ferrari don't supply the brand name, the sponsor does.

David.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 01:05 (Ref:1161403)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
And likewise I gather that Jordan will not carry Toyota branding as part of the engine deal.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 09:20 (Ref:1161554)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think EJ has said there will be no Toyota branding associated with the deal, it is a pure customer supply deal. That doesn't preclude Lexus branding of course, but EJ has probably gone off the idea of trumpeting car manufacturer branding after the 'works' Ford deal debacle.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1161648)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
DI@SU Jordan sound just fine I think the multi brand cars companies should take advantage of the developments
Jordan-Daihatsu... now that's more like it..

Do they sell Daihatsus anywhere besides Japan and here in Australia??
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Nov 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1161818)   #15
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Smith is with Jordan, he started about 2 weeks ago I think, a bit late in the day to make a big impression on next years car, unless they introduce a new car mid-season.
As much as I'd love to see them higher I'm not sure that they can turn it around so quickly. Although I'm sure they knew the Toyota engine was coming and worked towards it some while back.

They sell Daihatsu's here in Ireland too by the way...
Old 23 Nov 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1162025)   #16
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Do they sell Daihatsus anywhere besides Japan and here in Australia??
Yes they do, but not much, at least in Finland, Daihatsu is only the 30th most common car on the roads. Toyota is on the pole.

-Jamie Hyneman