Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:23 (Ref:1188784)   #1
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Playstation 2 Problem - Should I buy a new one or wait for no.3?

My PS2 has bust, and I've recently purchased a few games that I've been desparate to play but cannot because of the situation.

The problem is when it switches on, a vibrating sound is heard inside and when a disc is inserted it won't play because of a loud whirring sound, I believe that something inside the console is damaged, the fan at the rear still goes round.

After contacting various game places, they've advised me to either contact Sony to get it repaired but have warned me that it'll cost more or similar to the price of a brand new PS2.

Is anyone here an expert, what is my option? Should I try and get it repaired, fork out for a new one...Or wait until the new Playstation 3 is launched next year?
Old 28 Dec 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1188812)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a look on eBay and try to find a secondhand PS2, or get a new slim one.

I think the PS3 might be further off than early 2006.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1188848)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get a slim one - you can pick them up cheaply in the January sales.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1188855)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ditto, get the slim one.
I still regret not waiting a month or so to get the slim one at 3/4ths of the price of my silver big 'un...
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1188857)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a computer.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1188875)   #6
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update, my dad had a look at it....its been fixed...well he can't assure me how long it will last. As well as that I now have to wait for another 'Dualshock' controller as the one I currently has also bust!

It's just not my day!
Old 28 Dec 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1188954)   #7
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
Get a computer.
crash,crash,crash

update,update,update

jerky,jerky,jerky(decrease the graphic details)

just guess, why I never more play with PC...

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 28 Dec 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1189024)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Get a good computer
Old 28 Dec 2004, 23:40 (Ref:1189140)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get a computer powerful enough to handle either GPL or F1C, need no more!
Old 29 Dec 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1189154)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
crash,crash,crash

update,update,update

jerky,jerky,jerky(decrease the graphic details)

just guess, why I never more play with PC...
Meh, it's half the fun..

You missed: Get fed up, think sod it, and upgrade the hell out of it, then think 'did I spend that much? Bloody fast though.'
Old 29 Dec 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1189269)   #11
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible
As well as that I now have to wait for another 'Dualshock' controller as the one I currently has also bust!

It's just not my day!
I'm on my fourth in 3 years, and this one I've got now seems to be on the way out...
Old 29 Dec 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1189446)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Definitely get a decent computer - forgot the console - you won't regret it and you'll find out just how much you've been missing.......
Old 29 Dec 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1189453)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While a gaming spec computer is nice it just isn't for some people at the end of the day. Unless someone plays a huge amount of racing sims or FPS then a console will do everything they want pretty much.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1189465)   #14
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as you get a MOMO with it right Ayse
Old 30 Dec 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1189851)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alsobutely..........
Old 30 Dec 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1189852)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
While a gaming spec computer is nice it just isn't for some people at the end of the day. Unless someone plays a huge amount of racing sims or FPS then a console will do everything they want pretty much.
But not all that wonderful car/track etc. etc. etc. editing........
Old 4 Jan 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1193047)   #17
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmmmmm

I have both PC and PS2.
Yes PC is far better graphics and games can be more simulation like etc....

but....

the crash, update and spend more money to upgrade every 12 months just does my head in!

The PS2 (and other consoles) has the big advanatage of you know the game will work and you just stick in the CD or DVD and you are away ..... PC's on the other hand means check the specs of the game , check the spec of your PC , upgrade Direct X and graphic drivers only to find your old games stop working!

Both have their advantages, but the PS2 is a lot simpler for games
Old 4 Jan 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1193091)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've only updated my pc substantially twice in about 6 years. Aside from the problems I had when I first tried the GTR demo, I've had virtually no problems at all with any other sim or mod. You only need to know who to ask for help........
Old 4 Jan 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1193124)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, but you needed help though?
As you only need help when you've got problems.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1193486)   #20
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
My PC is around 3 years old now, and the only upgrades I've had to do to it is a Ram and graphics card boost. It still doesn't play GTR yet, but it plays everything else I have at a fair pace.

I prefer the ease of the PS2, if only you could mod games like a PC on it...
Old 5 Jan 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1193598)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The PS2 does have its advantages of course. I like the PC more because of the mods and whatnot.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1193734)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Ah, but you needed help though?
As you only need help when you've got problems.

Yeh, I guess we all need help from time to time ASCII - I usually manage - the answers are normally out there somewhere to find......
Old 5 Jan 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1193738)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

Are you implying that I need help?
Old 5 Jan 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1193813)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not exactly - we all do occasionally, including me!