Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Jan 2005, 02:22 (Ref:1194911)   #1
Big_Red_Bronco
Retired
Rookie

Big_Red_Bronco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Queensland Race workshops

I am going on holidays to sunny queensland in a fortnight and plan on going to have a look at the DJR premisis. I have heard you can take a tour through there?
Are there any of the other operations in Queensland(Betta/PMM) where You can go and have a stickybeek???
Would the new seasons clothing be available at their workshops yet???
Old 7 Jan 2005, 02:34 (Ref:1194916)   #2
v8babe
Racer

Australia
QLD
v8babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you take Exit 38 from the Pacific Hwy at Stapylton/Yatala (Jacobs Well Rd) to go to the DJR workshop, you can keep going to the Holden Performance Driving Centre in Norwell a few kays further down and see PMM, Stone Brothers are at the same turnoff but on the other side of the Pacific Hwy down near the Yatala Brewery. Hope that helps!

Last edited by v8racer; 7 Jan 2005 at 02:34.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1194923)   #3
lowndes2b1
Rookie

lowndes2b1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Bronco
I am going on holidays to sunny queensland in a fortnight and plan on going to have a look at the DJR premisis. I have heard you can take a tour through there?
They do tours every wednesday I think it is. But no photos are allowed to be taken while in there. If you cannot make it on the wednesday, you can still see what the workshop loks like thru a glass wall. The girls at the desk will also open the workshop door for you so you can take some pics.

Quote:
Are there any of the other operations in Queensland(Betta/PMM) where You can go and have a stickybeek???
Would the new seasons clothing be available at their workshops yet???
A lot of the ford teams are based if South East QLD, 888 are just north on Brisbane, but do not allow public tours...but that depends on who you know . SBR don't usually open their doors to the public either, but they may allow you to take a peek thru the roller door, being so close to the unveiling time of the cars though, may not be able too. I was lucky to get a workshop tour last year and they had all of the trophies etc in the foyer, would need a bigger foyer to fit them all now . But go have a look, definitely worth a try.

As for merchandise, doubt you will see any 2005 stuff, but will be able to get a good bargain on the 2004 range.

PMM have a showroom with a good range of cars, last time I went out for a look he even had his car from the Larkham accident, well what is left of it.

Anyway have a great holiday
Old 7 Jan 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1194927)   #4
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to QLD the past 2 years and on my way back from the Gold Coast I dropped into DJR and had a look around. Was also hoping to get to PM Racing up the road but ran out of time. I took some great picutres in the DJR showroom of his old cars and even his latest addition of a FJ Holden....Thats correct folks....He is trying to reconstruct every type of car he has driven and this is his new project. SOme great motorsport shops in and around the Gold Cost etc that I visited. Im sure you will enjoy the trip.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 03:38 (Ref:1194929)   #5
Jason Whittaker
Rookie

Jason Whittaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Triple Eight headquarters at Bowen Hills IS open to the public a lot of the time. It's a great set-up, with a full viewing of the workshop, some old cars on display and a cafe. I went a couple of weeks before Christmas and it was all closed - but Campbell Little was good enough to let us in. Just give them a call and check when they're open.

The DJR museum/workshop is fantastic and open every day.

And as has been mentioned, keep heading down that same road and you'll find the Paul Morris workshop, part of the Holden Performance Driving Centre. The display and museum there is a Holden lovers' wet dream - but it will cost you to get in. Five bucks from memory.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 03:54 (Ref:1194935)   #6
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to see David Bowdens collection. It is only a couple of k's from where i live. Will have to see what i can do about getting in there. I did help a couple of his boys out a little while ago when a genuine L/H drive Cobra they were taking on a test run stopped so maybe i can ask.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 04:09 (Ref:1194941)   #7
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Bowie has a motorsport collection? WOW!
Old 7 Jan 2005, 04:21 (Ref:1194946)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now your not being funny.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 05:03 (Ref:1194950)   #9
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where in Bowen Hills is 888? i have tried to find before with no luck!!!!!!
Old 7 Jan 2005, 05:20 (Ref:1194954)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On Abbotsford Rd, fairly close to the intersection with Folkestone St, it backs onto the railway line, next door up the hill from an automotive engineering joint.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 06:10 (Ref:1194959)   #11
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they moved?
Old 7 Jan 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1194968)   #12
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't anybody want to visit Larko?

Larko, We miss you.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1194983)   #13
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR workshop tour is available on Thursdays - best to have a group of 12 or more as the cost per head is then only $10 . The showroom is free to enter and has a lot of memorabilia - The workshop (to me) seems like a prison , with the guards up on the mezzanine floor and the cons on the ground floor , there was no impression of it being a happy workplace - I was there with a group just before Bathurst last year , the girl who was conducting the tour knew nix about the supercars (except for what was on her sheet) and we managed to get he quite flustered with the questions that we put to her .
Old 7 Jan 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1194984)   #14
Big_Red_Bronco
Retired
Rookie

Big_Red_Bronco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, thanks for your help guys...but is the DJR tours on Wed or Thu???
I will have a stickybeek around at the other workshops as well.
And, Orrcon King, I would just LOVE to see Larko! I believe that he is the true gentleman of V8 supercars, and deserves more luck going his way.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 07:48 (Ref:1194996)   #15
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Bronco
Great, thanks for your help guys...but is the DJR tours on Wed or Thu???
I will have a stickybeek around at the other workshops as well.
And, Orrcon King, I would just LOVE to see Larko! I believe that he is the true gentleman of V8 supercars, and deserves more luck going his way.
We booked our tour for the Thursday at 1100 (supposed to go for about 50 minutes) , perhaps check the DJR web site , it may have some details regarding the tours .
Old 7 Jan 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1195158)   #16
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be sure to visit PMM at Norwell (just down the road from DJR as stated previously).

http://www.performancedriving.com.au/pdcsrc/home.htm

The museum alone is worthy of the $5 entrance price; housing the 1982 Bathurst winner, plus the 1985 ATCC winning JPS BMW, and assorted other interesting vehicles.

The last shed in the tour is the Sirromet team home; where the preparation staff are very friendly. I recall a mechanic telling me where the braided hose he was retrieving from a tool draw was heading...
Old 7 Jan 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1195165)   #17
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrcon King
Doesn't anybody want to visit Larko?
I do, oh oh pick me.

I live too far away unfortunently.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1195203)   #18
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks ,Crash Test
Old 8 Jan 2005, 02:27 (Ref:1195659)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
On Abbotsford Rd, fairly close to the intersection with Folkestone St, it backs onto the railway line, next door up the hill from an automotive engineering joint.
That would be BHSS, my car club had a tour of their workshiop recently, that was pretty interesting too. It's almost opposite Perry Park.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 04:07 (Ref:1196274)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, i knew it was HSS something or rather. Had to pick up some rotors from there about 6 months ago. All told, a dog of a place to reverse out of

I know that I have seen the DJR tours on Thursdays, probably best to call ahead as they might have more on during holidays etc.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 06:32 (Ref:1196312)   #21
Dipper
Rookie

Dipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at DJR last year and the tours of the workshop at that time were everyday at 2pm and cost $15. It could have changed.
And its true the girl conducting the tour knows stuff all about V8 supercars.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1196450)   #22
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this place http://www.aussiemusclecarmuseum.com.au/ would be really interesting to visit but it doesn't open until March
Old 9 Jan 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1196881)   #23
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PMM is definately worth a visit, plus it is now also the home of TKR too! Good shop, awesome museum, fantastic tour of the PMM workshop. (And they tour guide knows whats going on!)
Old 11 Jan 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1197958)   #24
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I visited DJR, PMM, and Briggs motorsport now 888 and enjoyed looking through all of them. DJR tour was great and especically PMM mueseum is awesome. 888 is good standing above workshop looking down on the cars to. SBR wouldnt give us a look in their workshop at the time unfortunately. i have an image of the 888 workshop if i can find it i will post it that i took at the time.