Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Feb 2005, 05:21 (Ref:1235250)   #1
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm aiming for the top 10 .................

http://www.bordermail.com.au/newsflo...page_id=903722

Fri, Feb 25, 2005

Im aiming for the top 10

Jones sets bar high for debut season

IT was never a forgone conclusion that Andrew Jones would step straight into a Brad Jones Racing Group A Falcon Supercar just because he won the 2004 Konica Minolta V8 Supercar Series driving a BJR AU Falcon.

After the series was won and the dust had settled, Andrew did sit down and discuss his future with both uncle Brad Jones and father Kim but by years end he had been signed to a three-year term with Melbourne-based Garry Rogers Motorsport to drive a Commodore in Australias premier racing category.

So after three Bathurst appearances and two seasons in the development category driving for the Jones family team, Andrew packed his bags and headed south to take over Garth Tanders seat beside Cameron McConville at GRM.

Now he is settled and raring to go in what is an opposition camp and driving an opposition make.

“I had no hesitation in signing for a Holden team despite the Jones familys long-time association with Ford,” he said.

“I think red suits me anyway.

“The aim was to get a drive in the main series and anyone who knows me knows Ive been hunting pretty hard for that and its never been important to me whether the team was blue or red.

“Signing with GRM has given me job security for the next three years and both mum and dad were happy for me.”

Jones, 24, had two round victories in the final four rounds of the 2004 Konica-Minolta series plus back to back round wins at Winton.

He contested the Sandown 500 and Bathurst 1000 for the past two seasons with experienced Scot John Cleland with a ninth placing in the 2003 Bathurst 1000 his best “main series” result.

“Both John Bowe and John Cleland were good teachers,” he said.

“Between them they have a wealth of experience and they were always ready to impart some of it on me.”

So AJ will be no newcomer to the Group A grid when it lines up for its first unofficial hit out of the year at the Australian Grand Prix meet next weekend.

GRM team owner Garry Rogers said it had been a difficult choice to replace Tander.

“I thought, where do we go?” Rogers said.

“We looked at some experienced people but in the end we came back to Andrew who has proven he can race well in the enduros and in the Konica-Minolta Series.

“I think hes old enough and experienced enough to do well in this category and Im very happy with my choice.”

Jones is rapt that it has worked out this way.

“I thought I was going to be the first Konica-Minolta champion to go back and defend his title,” Jones said.

“This is a huge step forward not just into the main game, but into a highly competitive and well funded team and with a long term structure in place.

“Its good for me to have that certainty but also good for the team.

“Im under no illusions that my rookie year is going to be anything less than challenging. There will be a few lows Im sure but hopefully there will be plenty of highs as well.

“Im not going to make any predictions right now. Im just going to do the best possible job and let the results take care of themselves.”

After completing two successful years in Formula Ford then a further two years in the Konica Minolta V8 Supercar Series, Jones move into the top category may be a little tough to start with yet despite his tender years he has laid down a definite career path and to date everything has fallen into place.

“I only ever wanted to do two years maximum in both Formula Ford and Konica Minolta and then look at my options as to my next step,” he said.

“Garry Rogers Motorsport has given me three years to compete at the highest level in Australia. After that, who knows.”

Jones has no illusions as to the difficulty of the series.

“I put a lot of effort into the Konica Minolta series so the level of intensity should be the same.

“There is more depth in the main series so you have to be on your guard at all times.

“I have a number in mind as to where I would like to finish this year and I will have to work hard to achieve that.

“Obviously I would like to finish in the top 10.

“Its a pretty big ask but its not impossible.

“The GRM guys have an expectation that I am to perform at and I hope that my personal expectations are even higher.”

Jones was disappointed his home circuit of Winton was dropped from this seasons calendar.

“The circuit got good crowds and it is one of my favourites as I set numerous lap records there.”

Jones and McConville are no strangers as Andrew got to know his new team-mate back in the days when McConville was driving for BJR in an Audi A4 in the Super Tourer series.

“Cameron is a genuine bloke and we should make a good pairing,” Jones said.

And what does the young Jones do on a day-to-day basis?

“Cameron and I are here in the workshop every day. We help out were we can and if something is needed I hop in the car and go get it.

“Race meetings are going to be different as you need to be there a day earlier and leave a day later to meet all the PR requirements.”

Jones first serious testing in the Commodore took place at Winton on Tuesday.

The first round of the 2005 V8 Supercar Championship will be held in Adelaide on March 20.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 25 Feb 2005, 05:37 (Ref:1235252)   #2
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I like Andrew, I don't see it happening. Other Konica graduates have found the going hard in their first year in the main series. He's got the talent but let's face it, GRM are not the strongest Holden team in the field and I think it will take him atleast this season to even just settle into the main series. But hey, what do I know, good luck to him.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 05:43 (Ref:1235253)   #3
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I give him a huge chance to do well - he's got obvious talent and a very level head on his shoulders. GRM aren't the strongest Holden team, but they're still stronger than most teams. I think they're on the up and that McConville in particular will step up this year.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1235260)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
a Brad Jones Racing Group A Falcon Supercar just because he won the 2004 Konica Minolta V8 Supercar Series driving a BJR AU Falcon. .
Is it a Group A car, Is it a Supercar?

I thought Tony was meant to have sorted all this stuff out back in 1997 .......

Last edited by racer69; 25 Feb 2005 at 06:03.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1235502)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here I was thinking, they were called 5 Litre Touring Cars
Old 25 Feb 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1235597)   #6
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, they are still CAMS Group 3A, i think?
Old 25 Feb 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1236223)   #7
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
Well, they are still CAMS Group 3A, i think?
was going to say the same thing